Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lost weight but 1 year later gain it all back plus more- not me but my family. HELP

A miracle happened. About 6 months after I was banded I noticed all three of my children needed a different size when we went clothes shopping for Christmas. They all were at least 1 size smaller.

This weightloss continued AND I noticed they were more physically active than before MY surgery.

2 of my children went into the miltary (my 18 year old is at Ft. Jackson-Army basic training...she just turned 19; my 17 year old is at School of Infantry Marine Combat Training she just finished bootcamp in February)

I noticed yesterday while picking up my 14 year old daughter is .....plump, round, puffy- not quite fat but I guess you could say it.

Evidently I've reverted back to my old habits and I've done a life check and I have! I stopped cooking so much and have reverted to going out to eat more.

I'm feeling like a failure but want to change it around before it's too late.

Anyone have this happen where their family lost weight but are gaining it back? Or have any friendly advice?

Failure at What? You older children seem to be doing fine. Your youngest is at that age. I am a year out as well, my oldest has been very health concious for that last few years, both are pretty athletic, the youngest daughter put on 20lb in 6 months, but it is falling off now that she has resumed the exercising and stuff. You can point her in the right direction and encourage her. She knows she can do it. Hang in ther with all that good support for her..

Just make sure you don't have junk food in the house, keep fruits and veggies on hand. Maybe start taking walks together in the evenings I know the weather is going to start getting nicer. Don't tell your 14 year old that she needs to lose weight because that will make her self conscious about her self and she's at that age where her self esteem is developing and believe me you can destroy that in a heartbeat.

Being supportive will help for your daughter, but I wouldn't make too big a deal out of it so that she starts feeling more self conscious. It is getting to be springtime now and there are plenty of reasons to get out and be active. Perhaps you could make it a family thing.

Also, cooking at home can make a huge difference. Convenience foods are rarely if ever the healthiest. Eliminate junk food as well and support healthy eating. I would never make it about weight gain/loss as much as just healthy living.

As somebody who was heartlessly nagged by her mother about her weight when the most overweight I ever was as a teenager was 10 pounds, I beg you to tread lightly. A 14 year old has a very delicate self esteem. Try changing the family's habits without singling out that the changes are for her.

Something to consider also, is she still growing? All of my kids grow in stages, they put on weight for about 6 months and get a little pudgy, then they stop gaining weight and suddenly get a couple inches taller which makes them thin as rails again. They've all done it from the time they were babies. Maybe it's something like that, or something puberty related?

I was just thinking today how much impact as women (usually because we make the food decisions and such) our decisions and habits make on our families. Its great that your lifestyle changes made an impression on your kids. If you've started to fall back into bad habits as much for yourself as your family try to tighten things back up. The first set of good changes happened without you even knowing they would. I agree with everyone else. I really wouldn't say anything to your daughter. 14 is a tough age and its a very easy place to develop esteem issues or eating disorders not to mention this issue has driven a wedge between many a mother and daughter. Try to continue teaching by example and encourage her to be active with you!!

Just my 2 cents :scared2:

Thanks everyone for your encouragement.

You are so right! I went through the kitchen gathering ALL the junk.

Ice creams

pasteries

frzn meals and pizzas

doritos, candy, Cookies

Cereal and those silly Cereal straws

I went to the grocery store and purchased ALL better food. I still got some rice cake Snacks and 100 calorie Snacks. And ice cream was the sugar free icicle pops and fudge bars. Got fruits and veggies-fresh. Got some meats.

When she got home from school she yelled across the house, "where's my ice cream"

I told her that I had put on a few pounds and I didn't want to sabatoge my progress....that I need to go back to making better choices with our eating.

She grabbed the rice cakes and didn't say another word.

Whew!