Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much time off needed from work!!

I am worried that I am going to need more time to recover than I thought. I only have a week vacation which leaves me with only have 4 days to recover. How much time did it take to recover?

Thanks for the support

Well, since this was surgery, you shouldn't need to worry about using your vacation. You should be able to use the FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act).

But many people are raring to go a week after they have their band installed. I was back to school a week after my banding, right as rain. Several of us actually went shopping the very next day!

Judy, I was back at work on the fifth day (at my desk job). Some recover faster, some slower. You should be prepared to take more time if you need it, because going back to work too quickly can be nasty. Fatigue, pain, just general yuckiness is the problem, not really anything related to the incisions or band itself. You may experience the infamous shoulder pain that some people are afflicted wtih post-op, and that may be very uncomfortable.

I've heard lots of people say that the third day out is the worst and then there's rapid improvement. Good luck!!

The pain from the incisions to me were not bad at all. The gas pain was another

story. I'm two weeks out of surgery and I still have some gas pains. But I did go back to work 4 days after surgery (desk job)

I stayed off 6 calendar days after surgery. When I went back I didn't do anything but work in the office. I ended up working longer days than I had planned and got very tired, but I didn't have any pain. Like someone said everyone is different though.

I took a week and a half and am very glad I did. Mainly the anesthesia made me SO tired that I ended up taking long naps every day. I *could* have returned to work on the 5th or 6th day but will always be grateful that I didn't. When I did return to work it was still very tiring so if you go back sooner than a week, make sure you take it very easy. You'll get worn out quick.

I took a whopping 2 weeks off, but I'm a big baby LOL. Luckily, I'm able to work from home on the laptop when need be, so that's what I did for the second week.

Just make sure to get plenty of rest and don't push yourself too hard. Our bodies hurt for a reason - they're telling us to take it easy.

I was Banded 8/9/05 and I am not returning until 9/16/05. I am really enjoying the time off with lots and lots of walking (about 1 1/2- 2 hours daily). I'm wearing my dog out! My Doc requested I take this much time off since my job is quite strenuous (sp.?). Luckily I have plenty of sick time in the bank and was able to use family leave.

Ray

280/261/180

Dr. Snow

Hurst, Tx.

I was Banded 8/9/05 and I am not returning until 9/16/05. I am really enjoying the time off with lots and lots of walking (about 1 1/2- 2 hours daily). I'm wearing my dog out! My Doc requested I take this much time off since my job is quite strenuous (sp.?). Luckily I have plenty of sick time in the bank and was able to use family leave.

Ray

280/261/180

Dr. Snow

Hurst, Tx.

Wanna come take my dog with ya? LOL .. the poor thing is sad cause I didn't get a chance to walk him today :/

Dear Judy,

I took 9 days off and then headed back to work. I felt really bad the first 4 days and on the 5th I was human again and able to get much more active. I think I just don't tolerate pain well. My physician did not order any pain med- only toradol and phenergan. I think that was a mistake. Good luck to you. Let us know how you do.

LouAnn

banded 6/14/05

-30 lbs

I had my surgery on a Thursday, stayed overnight in the hospital and went home Friday morning. I was back at work on Monday--I have a desk job.

I even golf an entire round about 9 days after surgery!--Not well, but I did it.

Sal

I had surgery on Wed, was back to work by Monday at a desk job. Some uncomfortability but not in pain. Just a bit worn and tired and "slower" walking around. Worked full days all week. Every day got better.

Well, since this was surgery, you shouldn't need to worry about using your vacation. You should be able to use the FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act).

QUOTE]

This is a great option, but isn't FMLA unpaid unless you use personal time earned? Sick time I think. And this is good only if you are okay with people knowing what you are doing... many employments require a reason/justification for use of the leave if over 3 days.

I had surgery on Wed. back to work (desk job) Monday. I would come home drink some Soup and go to bed 'cause I was tired. Not too much pain but real tired. I too only had 5 days of vaca/sick time now am down to 1 for the rest of the year. I'd do it all over again.

I had my surgery 6 days ago (banded on Tues. 8/16), and feel great - went to the gym today, shopping, car wash, etc. and would definitely be fine to go back to work today, or yesterday. I'm going back to work on Thursday, but I have found the recovery to go very easily and if you can schedule your surgery on a Tues. Weds. or Thursday, where you'll be able to take advantage of a weekend, I bet you'll be fine with only having to take 4 vacation days.