Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long did it take for you to receive insurance approval. I have been at this for 5 months and am just now getting my psych evaluation in a week and a half.

As far as I can tell then I have to wait for my insurance to approve, is that right?

How much longer do you think I will have to wait?

I am so ready to get a surgery date scheduled I am going crazy!

Hang in there! I'm shocked it's taking so long, unless you have a insurance-required period where you have to try dieting, under a physician's supervision. I didn't (but them I started out REALLY obese) and from seminar to surgery was just at a month.

Hello, I have Aetna PPO, started in Oct, had to have a psych, 3 phone appts. nutritionist, finally on 2/3 Dr. sent in for approval & I was denied!:w00t: However, I had the surgeon call the Aetna pre-determination Dr. and plead my case, they thought my BMI wasn't at 40 for 2007 & 2008, it was!:lol: So I was approved 3/3, and my surgery date is 3/20.:thumbup: I have been in tears everytime I had to resend or call the ins. or call the Dr. I didn't feel I was getting any where. :mad:It has to be one of the most frustrating things I have ever gone thru! So you hang tuff! It will happen. The ins. wants you to jump thru all the hoops. Aetna at first said they can take 45 days once they have all the info to approve, but my Dr. said they never take that long. Every Dr. & Ins seems to be different. I have a friend who's daughter from start to surgery date was 2 mos. She's young and no medical problems (yet). Also a ppo, so it just depends. Keep calling the Drs. & Ins. make sure they know you are on top of all this. I always say the sqweeky wheel get the oil! Once I got the call for approval, I cried on the phone, couldn't even talk! the relief was so immense! I have a long road ahead of me, 110lbs to lose, but look forward to a healthier life and more fun, able to do more. Stay strong, it will happen. I will look forward to how things work out for you. :thumbup:

I have Blue Shield in California. I went to my first MD Consult this week and turned in my diet/weight/medical history. I'm not required to go on a 6 month diet pre-surgery. I'm scheduled for my psych eval in two weeks, and a support group meeting next week (my MD requires attendance at 1 support group meeting). Following the psych eval, I was told it takes a week or so for the MD office to process the results and submit the paperwork to the insurance company, and then the insurance company takes another couple of weeks to process and authorize. So, I'm looking at 6 to 8 weeks processing, and hopefully I can schedule for surgery sometime in May. I will be required to go on a 2-week pre-op liquid diet, but I think that will help me get ready for my post-op diet. Good luck, and I hope time flies for you now!

I saw my PCP on 6/5/08 for referral. Had a seminar a few days after that. Had my Surgeon consult 10/28/08. I did not see my PCP in October so I had to start the 6-month weigh-in (Aetna requirement) again, changed insurance companies 1/1/09 (UHC) didn't require weigh-ins to be in a row. Last weigh-in 1/16/08. Psych and Nutrition completed 1/19/08. Took forever to get last records from PCP packet was submitted on 2/6/09 and my surgeon was notified on 2/27/09. Now just waiting for 4/10/09 to get 'er done.

Cool. I wish mine would move faster, but it seems as though I am the only one in a hurry to get it done. I see you have already lost almost 40lbs. That is so great. Thanks for the words of encouragment. I am loving this site already.