Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Veggie/Herb/Organic Garden

Spring is just around the corner and I am seriously considering growing a very small veggie and herb garden. However, I live upstairs in an apartment with a small balcony that gets direct sun-light.

Has anyone planted a small garden under the same circumstances as mine? Any tips?

I was thinking about purchasing a wine barrel and placing it out on the balcony. I was considering buying a shade umbrella, because of the direct sun light that hits the patio. I was also thinking about planting tomatoes, but I would like to try and plant something else, but do not know what???

I have a great indoor Basil garden, but would like to try and plant some other herbs, but don't know what else.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :confused:

Tomatoes grow great in pots. They like the sun. I've had good luck with bell peppers in pots too. go to the Lowe's and see if you can find those elongated, long rectangular planters. They are good for the peppers. I've grown a lot of herbs. I have had the best luck with rosemary (it grows FAST), mint planted near a drippy faucet, (it likes to be moist and wet and I can't live without my mint tea, and mojitos!!!), and sweet basil. Other stuff I planted didn't do as well. thyme and oregano was "okay", but the dill was a disaster.

If you do put up an umbrella for some partial shade, try some spinach or green Beans in those long pots. Even green onions. It doesn't grow very tall. Doesn't need a lot of soil.

i really like this thread - cause i'm a bit of a foodie and love to cook.

when DH and i bought our ranch he had a "small" solar greenhouse built w/a compost heap right next to it. he's an engineer, and we have been remodeling our farm house to "go green" for longer than i have ever DREAMED it would last.

that said - i grow: all herbs, they are great in containers....aubrie that mint can get out of hand and really quick:). 4 dif kinds of pepers/squash/tomatos/green onions/zuchinni. i also have a sunflower section and have been adding to my tx wildflower mixture to spread around our ponds....they're just now popping up and are so pretty.

it might sound crazy - but when we are out of town, i'll throw the big containers into a kiddie pool filled w/water so they don't die. worked so far...?? LOL

I grew up with veggie gardens, so this year I put in a raised bed (5 ft x 10 ft). I'm planting pole Beans, tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers and 1 cantelope plant. I may even throw in some strawberries just for fun. This rain should really help. We have wildflowers that should be coming up with the rain.

I was thinking about planting some herbs but am not sure about which one.

TQUAD- Good Luck. Patio tomatoes will do great in pots. Plus they do well in sun. Just make sure to keep them watered. Depending on what you plant you may not need that umbrella. Have fun with it.

I am so excited. Today I went and bought tomatoe, sugar peas, and green bean seeds. I did not find herb seeds.

Tomorrow, I am going to get the planters, soil, find some herb seeds and patio umbrella. :scared2:

I just planted my mini patio garden. I ran out of pots, so I am going to purchase some more and soil as well. I am really excited about this and cannot wait to see my seeds grow.:thumbup:

You're going to have so much fun. After a while it becomes like an addiction. You just want more and more. Herbs grow well in a sunny window as well. A window sill planter will work nicely.