Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Was your band placed too high?

I had an endoscopy yesterday because after my second fill I developed reflux. The gastro doctor said either my band slipped up or my surgeon intentionally placed my band higher than he had seen in other lapband patients. He said the pouch was small, tight and high and the only place for food and liquid to go was up. Plus I have a hiatal hernia. I didn't have either of these conditions before the band. The gastro doctor works in the same hospital as my surgeon (and they refer patients to each other) so I doubt his report will be second guessing him. You know how that works. Has anyone else had their band placed too high or slipped up? If so, how was it resolved? I am going to ask my doctor to remove the amount of fill he put in the second time. We have a lot to discuss.

Has anyone else had these problems?

I also believe that my band was placed too high. My acid reflux actually stopped after being banded (in June 2005). But I had an endoscopy 2 years later and the gastrointerologist could not tell I had a band. He also said that I have a hiatal hernia which I did not have when the band was placed. Everything I eat either goes straight through or comes back up. I have not lost any weight since the first few months and have continued to fluxuate by 30 pounds. I only had one fill because I'm sure that my band is not in the right spot. I went to Mexico to have my band put in but now I'm taking steps to have it removed and get gastric bypass here in my local area. I have not had a great experience with the band as many others have. But maybe it's just not for everyone.???

I am also afraid that my band was placed too high. I've had it for a year and my fills only worked for about 2 weeks after having them and now I am at max fills. Most of what I eat...if I eat slowly, goes straight through. I know I eat too much but it never comes back up. I haven't thrown up once since having the band. If I eat too slow it hurts my chest and sometimes I feel like I can't breathe...like it's stuck in my throat and it chokes me. Help!

Have either of you two had a recent upper GI? At any rate, I am going for my second opinion next week armed with all my test results including CD's of my two upper GI's - one after my first fill and the other after my second fill. As an update: after this second upper GI - my surgeon called me in that day (even though it was not a day he sees patients) to get the amount of the second fill removed (1cc). I have felt a lot better since then, no reflux or heartburn or pain. I only have 2 cc in now. But I am still troubled by his attitude when I told him about all my problems after the second fill and before the tests - he said just to eat the Protein and throw away all the other food and basically thought it was my fault - what and how I was eating. Well, when he saw that upper GI his attitude was completely different - my pouch and esophagus were swollen and everything was backing up. But even though 2 upper GI's and one endoscopy said I have a hiatal hernia he does not think I have one. That is why I am going for a second opinion - I want a new set of eyes looking at all of this.

you are not alone. My band has not work for me either and i want it change to the byepass and the insurance denied. what should i do? I have gain back all 20 pounds plus more. lot of pain but no wait lost. I also have this pain from the site of the band radiating to my back. Please help

agbardoe: When I had an upper GI after the endoscopy, my surgeon called me in that day for a slight unfill. I have felt much better. but as of today, I am changing doctors to a more experienced surgeon from a hospital of excellence.I went to see him for a second opinion first - before I decided to change. I don't believe my old doctor had the experience to deal with problems and complications. When you say the band hasn't been working for you - in what way? What kind of pain? From eating? Do you have reflux or heartburn? What does your doctor say about this? Have you had a recent upper GI? What caused you to gain 20 lbs? Anyway, before you make any changes - get answers to all your questions and concerns. If your insurance paid for the band you might need to be persistent to get a bypass if it is found that you have a severe complication from the band. Good luck.