Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confused and undecided about lap band

Hi, everyone! I am new here. I mostly wanted to get some info. (as well as support) about lap band surgery and came across this site (lucky me!!!) I have recently decided to try to have weightloss surgery (at this time it all depends on my insurance). The doctor I have been seeing thinks that the lap band is the way to go for me rather than RNY since I am anemic, and since I have not had any children yet. I have been going crazy trying to make a decision before it is time to send in the papers to my insurance company, but no matter how much research I do, I just have not been able to make up my mind. I am so afraid that the lap band just will not 'do it' for me. I keep thinking that maybe I will not lose weight unless I have the RNY done. Besides, "it is considered the gold standard when it comes to weight loss surgery" is what I keep reading. Can anyone help me out a bit by sharing any info. you have about lap band surgery. Also, I live in San Diego and have been searching for a surgeon who has been doing lap band surgeries for a while. PLEASE HELP!!! Thanx!

Phooey on the "gold standard." YOU are not a statistic, and no statistic can mean as much as your personal medical situation.

I've been morbidly obese almost all of my life. Obviously, RNY surgery has been around a long time and it's been suggested to me before. But I was absolutely dead set against any procedure that carried those risks--precisely because I hadn't yet had children. The possible complications seemed to me like a risk to my fertility, so I never ever explored bariatric surgery.

Then, two kids later, the time was right. But NOW I had the two kids to think about, and again the risks seemed too high. The band allowed me to take control of my weight in a way that has never before been possible, with a MINIMUM of risk to my health. Sure it's "slow," but that's a GOOD thing. And 125 lbs in 18 months is anything but "slow," if you ask me. 125 lbs in 6 months would be TERRIFYING, and that's what happens with RNY.

I didn't want to wake up one morning suddenly feeling like someone else. I wanted to gradually gain control of my bad habits that I've been fighting all my life, knowing that doing so would mean I'd be the one making the changes that let me lose weight. Having surgically induced malnutrition seemed to me then, and still seems to me now, a trade-off only the very sick should make.

Here's a thread with lots of good posts about lap band vs GP and there are some good links in there, too.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=7204&highlight=lap+band+rny

Happy researching! I love my band. Just know what you are getting in to if you choose it. You need to be prepared for life on the other side. It IS an adjustment. See my stats below and ask me if it's worth it. Go ahead, ask me if I regret it so far...NO! :D And I have a good ways to go too. Yo must have caught me on a good day!!!

I totally agree with Alexandra. I too did ALOT of research on both types of surgery. After my two cousins had their RNYs I knew for sure that I did not want that surgery it was just too risky. The both are still having issues with their surgeries and they are both over their two year mark. I have kids and I just couldn't take the chance with it. Lapband became my option, because it was safer and if worse came to worse I could have it removed.

I haven't yet been banded, but hopefully next month I will move in to bandland. My cousin said that the reason she didn't chose the band, because there were no consequences. I disagree, based on all I have read on this site alone, there are consequences for overeating. She also felt the band can be defeated. I say so can the RNY, a person determined enough can defeat anything...but why would you? What was the point of going through the process in the first place? It always has to be a person's decision on what path they choose to take and what becomes their end of the line. I refuse to spend one more year in this unhealthy state.

For some people, the RNY is the right choice. Personally, it was not the right choice for me or my husband.

Only you will be able to make that decision for you, not anyone else but you. I don't know if you have the opportunity, but if you can, please spend some time with both bandsters and folks that have had the RNY. You will get a better idea of what RNY folks have to face. I cannot speak for their issues because they are not my issues.

I know that many of the WLS sites have RNY folks who insist that their choice is the only choice for anybody. I have read posts that are strongly against the band, espeically when people come looking for advice. They insist that their choice is the best and the gold standard, what ever that means.

I do know that RNY folks have a short time where they can lose their weight. I know that with my band I can take as long as I need to lose my weight, to spend the time to do the mental work needed to adjust to my new size and my new body, not to mention the work needed to do to adjust to how other people treat the new thinner me. And that can be in some cases harder than how we react to ourselves.

I also know that my surgeon does banding on RNY folks who have trouble with their RNY.

Good luck in whatever you choose. We all wish you the very best, and you will always be welcome here, no matter what you choose.

I've been banded just under 6 months and I ove my band. Here in Australia, banding would be considered the 'gold standard' among weight loss surgeries. That said, its been practiced here for quite a while longer than in the US.

There were a couple of reasons I opted for the band, over RNY. The main reason, being the risks I read about when looking into RNY. I'm a huge lover of life and so not ready to give it up yet. The lap band, in my mind, was a much safer alternative. I wanted to lose weight gradually (albiet, not at a dead slow pace lol), to give my body time to adjust, my skin time to pop back into shape, my head time to get used to becoming thinner and to accustom myself to eating properly/healthy. I liked that the band was adjustable and/or fully reversible. I never intend to have it removed, as its become almost like a best friend lol, but I like knowing that if I needed to, I could.

The only real con I can think of for myself with the band, is having a port lol. While it plays a very functional role and I wouldn't get rid of it for anything, my husband looks really grossed out when I say, "my port hurts!" hehe.

I have a friend's mom who had RNY. She lost 150 lbs in 7 months and hit goal. She's estatic, loving life and has already had her Tummy Tuck to remove the excess skin. While I would love to be skinny practically overnight, I know its not the right option for me.

Everyone has different priorities and different reasons for choosing the method they choose. Ultimately, its your choice. Do your research and good luck in whatever path you end up taking :rolleyes: And if you have any questions, there's a good many of us who practically live on this board now lol...

To everyone who replied to my post, you all have no idea what your info. has meant to me. I know a few people who have had RNY and they seem to be doing OK, but I have been a bit skeptical about having that particular procedure done, just because it really does seem like such a drastic measure in such a short period of time, and whenever I hear about the risks, I get really, really afraid. Of course, the people I know who have had RNY are all prety much against the band. Whenever I have told one of them that my Dr. believes that the band may be a better route for me to take instead of RNY, they each have something negative to say about it (ie I can't imagine having a foriegn object in my body for the rest of my life; You could get a bad infection from that; You have to constantly get it adjusted; You have to start from the beginning each time you get adjusted; It takes so long for you to lose weight,...). These comments (and then some) were extremely discouraging for me. It's so good to hear positive things about the band. I am definitely going to keep up with my research. Once again, thanx soooo much for ALL of the GREAT info., and I hope all of you continue to keep up with your good work! :rolleyes:

I would of been obese the rest of my life if it meant my only option was the RNY..It was never an option for me..to many risks...the band is the best thing I have ever done for myself. Just my take on it all..

I ditto what la madam says....thank goodness for the lapband, 'cause without it I too would be obese the rest of my life. I can't tell you how the band has changed my life since I first started researching to today (which is only 4 days post-op)......I am a new person, with a new outlook and new life ahead of me! Good luck with your research and decision....and as many have said..it is your choice, not your doctors nor your insurance company.

I'm not sure where they got the idea that you have to "start all over" after a fill. I'm not even sure what that means. And yes, I was a little creeped out about having something strange in my body. I got over it. :rolleyes:

I've only had my band for 7 weeks and I will tell you I love it. I love eating a meal and not being hungry 30 minutes later. I love the fact that after I got over the surgery I felt great and was eating only 1/3 of what I normally would have and still felt great. I have lost 18 lbs. and on weight watchers that would have taken me months. I know I did that 2 years. I love the fact I do not have other issues that my friends who had the RYN have had and they are putting back on some of their weight. For me there is no comparrison but you have to be determined and know that a slow weight lose is what you want and work with the band.

You can "eat around" the band and they RYN. Therefore you have to make the right choices. The difference is those of us with the band usually don't have the other issues. I personally beleive the band is the healthy choice.

Do your research then make up your mind and stand behind your decision. Good luck.

Joyce

I am the mother to four toddles (three with special needs) so in my opinion the RNY and its many side effects was not for me! I didn't have insurance coverage for either so it didn't matter that way. But I have lost weel over 100 lbs in a year and it has been slow and gradual and I am happy and very healthy (and I have my hair & teeth)

Well...I went to see my therapist today, and he seems to think that I am swaying more towards the band. So, he encouraged me to go with my 'gut'. I guess he could tell that I favored the band by my conversation with him. He also told me that he could probably put in for me to have my surgery earlier than expected after I told him that I've decided that I definitely will be having WLS, but waiting 6 months seems to be taking forever! I haven't even gotten to 1 month yet. I am scared and nervous, but all of your comments have really encouraged me to go through with this. For the longest time I have been so depressed, allowing myself to believe that I am in some way taking 'the easy way out', feeling like all I have to do is try harder at diet and exercise (even though I have been working my ass off for the past 10 years or so). I need help, and there is nothing wrong with that. You all are a true encouragement. Thanx so much, and take care of yourselves. By the way, BURNSUN, I work with children with special needs for a living, and I love it! And I'm happy to know that you still have your hair and teeth :rolleyes: