Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please explain PB versus slime versus throwing up to me

I need some help understanding terms. What does PB mean? I'm pretty sure I know what "sliming" means...as I think I've been doing that frequently lately. I'm not sure if I need to be concerned that I'm actually throwing up though.

I had my first fill 10 days ago and it seems that the tightness just increased again. I tried to eat some grits today and I couldn't stop from gagging it back up. My saliva glands go crazy and bits of the grits came up with lots of slime. Is this technically throwing up? How worrisome is this? I ask because I didn't have any restriction until my first fill and I'm trying to give myself time to adjust.

I'm not in danger of dehydrating, so I thought I should try to wait it out and see if the band loosens. It does seem to be better in the evening...but today's tightness was quite a surprise.

I need advice.

Vomiting is true vomiting from your "lower" stomach. It has stomach acid.

PB is more like a baby spitting up...no acid, just mucous and the offender. It happens because your esophagus spasms. When food sits at the opening of the stomach and won't go in, it has to go somewhere, so it comes back out. That's PB and it stands for Productive Burp.

Slime just refers to the copious amount of mucous produced when something is stuck.

Usually if you PB it means you ate too fast, didn't chew well, or are over full.

I'd avoid grits for a few months, if I were you. If you have a bad session of being stuck, most recommend going back to liquids for a few hours to a day to give your stomach a chance to settle back down. Good luck!

Thanks for your reply. I'm relieved to know that I haven't actually thrown up. I was beginning to worry that it would cause my band to slip. I forgot to mention that I also have several bouts of "hiccuping" during the day. This happens even when just drinking. Any words of wisdom?

Just hang in there. As my doc says, we are re-learning how to eat. It takes a while. I've found that if I drink while I eat it hurts like the devil, if I have the hiccups they hurt a little, and that if I get that "swallowed a golf ball and it won't go down" feeling, having my husband hit me (open handed) on the back between my shoulder blades often dislodges it and I feel better immediately.

There's a learning curve to it!

And I did want to reiterate (if you actually LIKE grits shudder LOL) try them again in a few months. My doc says often a food won't sit well initially but if we give ourselves time to adapt to our new situation, that they can be successfully reintroduced later. So if you love grits, you may very well be able to eat them on down the line.

Your comments have helped me relax. Thanks! I was able to eat grits (and I do love them) until today. But, as I said, my band seems to be tighter today than it has been. I'm hoping it will loosen with time, as I really don't want to go for an "unfill" already. I just had my first fill and it's only 1.8 cc in a 4 cc band.

What you can eat changes with each fill, sometimes what you could eat easily before just won't work anymore. Also I've found that as you lose more weight the band gets loser and you are gradually able to eat a little more. It's an adventure!

I hope throwing up doesn't cause band slippage because the very night i got home from the hospital I threw up like 7 times. I was so thirsty & everytime I drank my diet gatorade or chicken broth I was running for the bathroom. It was the regular throwing uo with the bad acid taste. (sorry that's gross) so I hope there's no damage. I got my first fill today but the doctor didn't do it with the xray so I didn't get to see the band. Feel good though so I'm hopeful nothing is wrong.