Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm going to make myself accountable here.

I found this email very enlightening and just thought I'd share:

How to Stay Happy Always

1. Throw out nonessential numbers.

This includes age, weight and height.

Let the doctors worry about them, this is why you pay them.

2. Keep only cheerful friends... The grouches pull you down.

(Keep this in mind if you are one of those grouches!)

3. Keep learning.

Learn more about the computer, art, history, gardening, whatever!

Never let the brain get idle.

'An idle mind is the devil's workshop.'

And the devil's name is Alzheimer's!

4. Enjoy the simple things.

5. Laugh often, long and loud. Laugh until you gasp for breath.

And if you have a friend who makes you laugh, spend lots and lots of time with him or her!

6. The tears happen.

Endure, grieve. Then go on.

The only person who is with us our entire life is ourself.

LIVE while you are alive. Those who loved you but are gone will understand and applaud!

7. Surround yourself with what you love.

Whether it's family, pets, keepsakes, music, plants, hobbies or whatever.

Your home is your refuge.

8. Cherish your health.

If it is good, preserve it.

If it is unstable, improve it.

If it is beyond what you can improve, get help.

9. Don't take guilt trips.

Take a trip to the mall, even to a foreign country, but NOT to where the guilt is

10. Tell the people you love that you love them, at every opportunity.

Hello, Irene and Everyone. I signed onto the website today for the first time in about 3 months, intending to "come clean" and ask for some support. The first thing I saw was this thread! I realized none of us are ever really alone. I slipped badly!! I needed to publicly acknowledge that. This seems like a good thread to log into everyday. I have been fighting my way back for three days now. I have re-started my exercise program and am back of a lap band diet. In all, I have gained 17 lb since I went off program. No excuses - there are none, really. But, I am disgusted with myself and am hopeful that I can re-commit and get this weight off!

I don't know if I have stretched my pouch or what, but it doesn't matter. I know that restricting input and adding exercise will work.

I look forward to seeing you all here everyday. Thanks for starting this thread!!

Hello, Irene and Everyone. I signed onto the website today for the first time in about 3 months, intending to "come clean" and ask for some support. The first thing I saw was this thread! I realized none of us are ever really alone. I slipped badly!! I needed to publicly acknowledge that. This seems like a good thread to log into everyday. I have been fighting my way back for three days now. I have re-started my exercise program and am back of a lap band diet. In all, I have gained 17 lb since I went off program. No excuses - there are none, really. But, I am disgusted with myself and am hopeful that I can re-commit and get this weight off!

I don't know if I have stretched my pouch or what, but it doesn't matter. I know that restricting input and adding exercise will work.

I look forward to seeing you all here everyday. Thanks for starting this thread!!

Hi cadets! Wow, I'm so glad to hear I can relate to you. Well, not in a bad way of course - but rather in a way that I can help you get back on track and vice-versa.

You know, it does happen sometimes. Bandsters can gain weight back. I try so hard not to reply to certain threads where some poeple will say, "oh with the band you never gain your weight back." Well I'm testament to the opposite.

Don't get me wrong it is much more difficult to gain it back, but please realize everyone that YOU CAN! I gained my weight when I was put on BCP. I needed to take them for a short stint because my cycle was a bit off due to weight loss as my PCP put it. Well, I gained that 20 Lbs rather quickly and it has ceased since I've been taken off.

So, the cycle is fixed but... but... now I'm struggling big time to get these added pounds back off! :thumbup:

It is quite possible that you have stretched your pouch out some. I believe I might have, but I'm doing my best to correct that by doing liquids during the day and eating a sensible meal. It's working I believe, because when dinner time hits I really can't eat as much as I was before. I don't know if that is something you might want to try, but I think just making sure your meals are smaller from here on might help too.

Anyway, I'm so glad to hear that you are getting back to the bandster rules! Let me know how you're doing!

March 26, 2009

Eating:

5am: Myoplex Carb Control, Vitamins and daily pills.< /span>

7:30am: 20 oz coffee, half triple shot mocha

9:30am: snack, Small Banana

11:30: Slim Fast Shake

3:00pm: Slim Fast shake

5pm: dinner, One piece BBQ chicken, few bites of baked Beans, few bites of Mac Salad

THAT’S IT!

Exercise:

12n: 2.25 mile walk.

5:30pm: Stationery Bike, 30 minutes.

7:30pm: Calisthenics, Arms & Legs

Moods/Thoughts:

I bet you all thought I was avoiding this thread... Well I wasn’t. ;o) I’ve actually been super good since all day yesterday. I feel so vindicated right now!

So, my eating was really, really good. It’s still on a roll right now, so I’m feeling really good about everything. I did more workout also that I had even intended. I just felt like doing more, so I did. You know when I hopped on my stationery bike; I didn’t even realize I wasn’t going to do it that night until I was already on for about 5 minutes. I figured, well what the heck – might as well finish it out. I’m not sure why I did that, but I was watching my DVR episode of Biggest Loser at the time. I think Tara really must have lit a fire under my butt!

The only thing I didn’t do right, it really wasn’t such a big deal I don’t think. I didn’t have my apple. The reason though was because I wasn’t hungry later that evening or even desired a snack. I did get hungry right before I was ready to fall asleep, but by then it was too late to eat. I hate the way I feel when I fall asleep with food in my pouch. It’s really unpleasant!

Well, I know this was a quick episode, but I have a meeting in about 10 minutes (oh poop!) and I have to get my butt outta here!

TTFN !! J

Hey Miss Diva,

Good for you! I am hanging in there with you. Just got back from the gym...did 2.5 mph on the treadmill. Doing resistance every other day. My blood sugar has been crashing so I ate oatmeal and an egg for Breakfast, then 1/2 cup of Beans and lo-fat cheese for lunch (after exercise). I think the liquid is a good idea, but I don't think I can do it right now - so I am going to look for an early success just eating right. Actually gained a lb since Monday - who knows? Am only going to weigh once a week. Give my body a chance to resdistribute and shed!

I have also decided to find some rewards when I lose 10 lb. First reward is going to be a massage. AND, I am keeping my catalogs and looking at clothes as a motivator.

I am thinking about you!!

Diva, you did fantastic! You feel good, don't you?

As for the apple, hey, I'd rather see you not eat it if you're not hungry than eat it. And of course you don't have to discriminate against other great fruits and/or veggies.

Another thing I LOVE to have is soy Beans (edamame, if you like the Japanese word). You can boil them up ahead of time (already shelled or still in the shell, if you wish) and then keep them in the fridge for a quick snack. They're high in Fiber and good for you too.

I guess when I said "an apple," I meant any good live food that has a lot of Fiber and maybe even some sweetness that may help curb the sweet tooth when it rears up.

But yes, this entry looks very good. And I too like the Myoplex carb control. That is my breakfast every day.

Hey Miss Diva,

Good for you! I am hanging in there with you. Just got back from the gym...did 2.5 mph on the treadmill. Doing resistance every other day. My blood sugar has been crashing so I ate oatmeal and an egg for breakfast, then 1/2 cup of Beans and lo-fat cheese for lunch (after exercise). I think the liquid is a good idea, but I don't think I can do it right now - so I am going to look for an early success just eating right. Actually gained a lb since Monday - who knows? Am only going to weigh once a week. Give my body a chance to resdistribute and shed!

I have also decided to find some rewards when I lose 10 lb. First reward is going to be a massage. AND, I am keeping my catalogs and looking at clothes as a motivator.

I am thinking about you!!

Don't worry about the pound gain. That can happen at any time. I am so well known for this. The fact is, if you are doing the right thing it will work itself out. That is why I've decided only to weigh in once a week. This band thing is tricky and the rules are so much different that what I'm used to. I can't let things like that get me down!

Don't worry we are all different and you should do what is right for you! It sounds like you are doing an excellent job! Keep at it, and so will I! :crying:

Diva, you did fantastic! You feel good, don't you?

As for the apple, hey, I'd rather see you not eat it if you're not hungry than eat it. And of course you don't have to discriminate against other great fruits and/or veggies.

Another thing I LOVE to have is soy Beans (edamame, if you like the Japanese word). You can boil them up ahead of time (already shelled or still in the shell, if you wish) and then keep them in the fridge for a quick snack. They're high in fiber and good for you too.

I guess when I said "an apple," I meant any good live food that has a lot of fiber and maybe even some sweetness that may help curb the sweet tooth when it rears up.

But yes, this entry looks very good. And I too like the Myoplex carb control. That is my breakfast every day.

Great suggestion thank you! I do like beans and nuts so I think that might work for me. Everyone needs a little boost of fiber, especially if you're a bandster... LOL!!

I agree, so what I'm going to do is replace at least one snack per day for a piece of fruit. Bananas are my favorite, and my doctor likes for me to eat them for the potassium. My blood pressure medications strip me of potassium, so I do have to have them more often than not.

...and yes I feel awesome!

LilMiss,

Is there a reason you're using liquid nutrition so much? Are you too tight during the day?

Melissa, right now the reason I'm doing it is that yes, I am pretty tight in the mornings. Other reasons are that I seem to be able to keep my calories way down by doing this. I'm not really hungry a whole lot during the day so it just seems to work out. I like the taste too! Who knew after so many years of doing this you'd actually end up LIKING Slim Fast and Protein shakes? LOL!!

I also have to work on shrinking up my little pouch because when I fell off the wagon, I think I might have stretched it some. It's helping... :)

March 27, 2009

Eating:

5:30am: Protein Shake w/vitamins

7:30am: coffee w/creamer

9:30am: Small Banana

11:30am: Slim Fast Optima Shake

2:30pm: Slim Fast Optima Shake

4:30pm: Small scoop of Fried Rice and Chow Mein, Veggies & Shrimp and some SeaWeed Soup

7:30pm: Handful of cheese Whales

Exercise:

12N: 2.25 Mile power walk at lunchtime.

Moods/Thoughts:

Another good day! I’m liking the whole liquid diet during the day while I’m at work. It’s helping to keep my calorie intake to a minimum, which is good because dinner seems to carry more. The weekends or days off will be a challenge for me however. I have the next 5 days off, so I will have to devise a plan to stay on track.

I think planning to weigh-in on Mondays is a really good idea for the reason already mentioned. It will keep me good for the most part. The weekends I’ve noticed is where the track seems to derail. I am really structured when my schedule is structured, but when it’s not… look out! This isn’t anything new to me though, it’s something I have been struggling with for quite some time. I have to get it right though, otherwise I will always go up and down.

One thing I have noticed is that is my desire is coming back to me. I lose this during the winter months, and this is also something I have been battling with for many years too. I love to get out and enjoy the outside sunshine. I’m a California Girl without a doubt! I just feel so blasé during the time of year where the sun doesn’t shine and it’s just really unpleasant to even step outside! Well my favorite time of year has arrived (finally!) and I’m feeling more into working on my body again. I’m positive I’ll shed more fat in the months to come. It’s just a cycle with me.

One thing I have to try to remember is that most bandsters don’t even reach goal for at least 3 years out. Okay so on year one I lost 40 Lbs. I still have 2 more years to play with. I’m very positive I’ll reach my goal within that time. I also know that losing weight more slowly is healthier for not only our bodies but for our minds. Our minds need to catch up with our bodies. That is the toughest part I believe to weight loss and management.

One last thing, the daily fruit thing is still a great idea. I’m finding though that if I can at least substitute one snack a day for a piece of fruit then I’m still doing good, I feel. Whatever the fruit might be is still a step in the right direction.

Until tomorrow all!

Great suggestion thank you! I do like Beans and nuts so I think that might work for me. Everyone needs a little boost of Fiber, especially if you're a bandster... LOL!!

The nice thing is that some of your good nuts also have Protein as well.

I just found this on nuts:

Weight Control

Researchers at Brigham and Women's Hospital and the Harvard School of Public Health found three times as many people trying to lose weight were able to stick to a Mediterranean-style moderate-fat weight loss diet that included nuts, peanuts and Peanut Butter versus the traditionally recommended low-fat diet. (International Journal of Obesity, Oct. 5, 2001).

As long as you control total calories, eating a handful of nuts daily may help prevent weight gain and possibly promote weight loss. The fat, Protein and fiber in nuts help you feel full longer, so you may eat less during the day. By helping induce a feeling of satiety, nuts may help people feel less deprived and not like they're "dieting." Just limit your portion to a healthy handful.

• Walnuts. One ounce of walnuts (about 14 shelled walnut halves) is all that is needed to meet the 2002 dietary recommendation of the food Nutrition Board of the National Academies’ Institute of Medicine for omega-3 fatty acids.
  • Almonds. One ounce of almonds (about 20 to 24 shelled whole almonds) provides 35 percent of your daily value for Vitamin E. Vitamin E may help promote healthy aging. A study reported in the Journal of the American Association (June 26, 2002) suggests a diet rich in foods containing vitamin E may help protect some people against Alzheimer's disease. The study also found vitamin E in the form of supplements was not associated with a reduction in the risk of Alzheimer's disease.
  • Peanuts. Though often discussed with nuts, peanuts are a legume along with dry Beans, peas and lentils. One ounce of roasted peanuts provides about 10 percent of the daily value of folate, a B vitamin recommended to help reduce the incidence of birth defects and lower the risk of heart disease. Peanuts also are an excellent source of niacin, providing about 20 percent of the daily value.

As a group, nuts also are important for what they DON'T offer:

• Cholesterol. Nuts are cholesterol-free.
  • Sodium. Unless salt is added to nuts, they naturually contain, at most, just a trace of sodium.

Diabetes

Women in a Harvard School of Public Health study who reported eating 5 or more 1 ounce servings of nuts/peanuts per week reduced their risk of Type 2 diabetes by almost 30 percent compared to those who rarely or never ate nuts. Women in the study who ate five tablespoons of Peanut Butter each week reduced their risk for Type 2 diabetes almost 20 percent. (Journal of the American Medical Association, Nov. 27, 2002.)

There's also a chart there which shows calories, protein, etc. that is not transferring over here properly, but it's very informative!

http://lancaster.unl.edu/food/ftmar04.htm

Edited by BethFromVA

hi irene

i wana thankyou for your help and support these past weeks i have lost 20 pounds in one month that is the most i have ever lost i feel very good i just hope i dont get stuck again for along time like in the past wen i went for 6 months with no weight loss at all...i am gona keep doing my liquid diet since is what has worked for me and my 1 hour daily exercise...hope to finally be at goal by the end of the year...lol mariah :thumbup::thumbup::eek:

i am gona keep doing my liquid diet since is what has worked for me and my 1 hour daily exercise...hope to finally be at goal by the end of the year...lol mariah :):thumbup::thumbup:

Sorry for buttin in, Mariah, but did I read that right? Are you on a liquid diet in order to make the numbers move? :sad: That is NOT healthy or good for you -- if I am reading this right. Please re-think that one.

Sorry for buttin in, Mariah, but did I read that right? Are you on a liquid diet in order to make the numbers move? :) That is NOT healthy or good for you -- if I am reading this right. Please re-think that one.

thats the only way i am able to loosse weight it is very hard b/cuz i have a tyroid problem i have tried just about everything and i dont loose i am still eating about 1000 cal i just drink Protein shakes every 3 hours or so it might not be healthy but at this point im ready to do just about anything with the exception of drugs or diet pills wich alot of people even after banding have resorted to......i dont know what else would work for me even my stomach feels so good like i am giving it a big break(no more constipation) any suggestions? :thumbup:

thats the only way i am able to loosse weight it is very hard b/cuz i have a tyroid problem i have tried just about everything and i dont loose i am still eating about 1000 cal i just drink Protein shakes every 3 hours or so it might not be healthy but at this point im ready to do just about anything with the exception of drugs or diet pills wich alot of people even after banding have resorted to......i dont know what else would work for me even my stomach feels so good like i am giving it a big break(no more constipation) any suggestions? :)

I'm so sorry to hear that. :thumbup: That's got to feel so discouraging to go through the surgery and still have to resort to such restrictions.

I wish I had suggestions, but I am still very new to this. I just know that doing a heavy liquid diet for long-term can cause you health issues. I would hate to see that happen to you.

Have you discussed this with your doctor? Or do you maybe need a fill? Those are the only things I know about at this point. :sad: