Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not losing weight and having problems now...HELP

Hi, I'm new to the forum and am a little desperate. If anyone can help I would appreciate it so much.

I had my surgery last July. It's been almost 8 months and I've only lost 45 lbs. I haven't lost hardly anything in about three months. Even with increased Protein. I was told that I would probably only lose weight for 1 year...that means I only have have about 4 months to lose A LOT more. YIKES!!!!!

I've had five fills. The last one was a month ago and I've been a little miserable since. I think it may be a little too full. I've been hoping that it would loosen up some by itself because I'm self pay and it will cost me 150.00 to have some taken out. I can eat just fine but liquids are a problem. It feels as if whatever I drink stays in my throat. It tries to come back out hours later when I lay down, which causes me to choke and cough sometimes. My throat burns - gerd, I guess.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!!!!!

T

Why would you lose weight for only a year? I am over a year out and I am still losing. Honestly, the best thing you can do is track what you got going in and out. What it comes down to, if you consume more calories than what you burn, you will not be losing. I know this is elementary but using the band as a tool to keep yourself as full as possible for as long as possible will yield the results you are looking for. I have never heard of a 12 month window of opportunity to lose weight with the band. I am still losing. Yes I have to bust my ass but it is worth it. Oh, and I would for sure be looking into an unfill. Can they check your pouch under flouro?

I agree with the "only lose for one year" thing. Who told you that nonsense?

As to not losing...I was banded 8/29 and have only lost 30 but am finally feeling restriction (I refuse to diet and my fill doc is conservative) but am losing now. I was told to eat Protein then veggies then fruit then pasta/grains/breads etc. If you aren't losing you're probably eating the wrong things...review what you take in.

And being able to eat but not drink is almost illogical so check with your doc! Good luck.

Thanks! Your replies made me feel so much more at ease! I'm calling tomorrow to see if I can have a little taken out of the band and the pouch checked. It just didn't make sense that liquids won't go down but solids will.

Thank you again!

My SIL had gastric bypass and her doctor told her to lose as much weight as she could the first year because it would slow down after that. Perhaps that's where you got that information. Having the lap band is totally different. My doctor told me it would likely take 2-3 years to get the same results as patients of the bypass, which is fine by me. As long as it comes off and I'm not gaining I'm happy.

I think you've done great losing the weight so far! Keep up the good work!

It's been several years since I had sugery but now every time I turn around I have gain a couple of pounds. In the past year I have gain probably 14 lbs. Is it possible to start losing again? I think the band is tight enough because if I eat and lay down within a few hours I wake up with it trying to come back up couching and choking. When I eat, it is only a few bites and I am full. There are times I can eat more and it doesn't bother me but very seldom. I have only had 3 fills since surgery. Has anybody done this and started over lossing again?