Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

*Susan* revision from band to sleeve

I am exercising. I'm chewing and chewing but some times something goes down not totally chewed. It's weird that I can some days go all day eating and no problem, but then there are days like yesterday that I get the first bite stuck and I'm screwed.

I'm tired of hearing my kids and hubby say "its stuck already?" Like I'm making it up or its impossible because they are still eating fine.

I just called a personal trainer to set up a consult because maybe I'm not doing the right things that would benefit me.

It's not you, it's the band.

Sounds like you might have first bite syndrome. What if you take two small bites before you sit down for dinner? Then you have the first bite over with before your meal and you can enjoy family time?

Also, if you want to see if it is due to posture next time stand up for your meal. I know, sounds crazy but if you can eat and stand, it's your posture. It's hard to sit slumped over, you'll get stuck.

The getting stuck never had any rhyme or reason for me either. You are not alone. I would notice however, that right before my monthly cycle, I could not eat at all. It was so strange. That was the only constant. Other than that, I would be able to eat certain things one day and not the next. Mornings I did not usually even try, because if it didnt go down I knew I was in for an entire day of throwing up my own spit. Sorry that sounds gross. But really it is. The band is a mystery to me. Mine seriously had a mind of its own. Hope so badly to get approved for the sleeve. Wish you well.

I'm chewing and chewing but some times something goes down not totally chewed.

That is a recipe for disaster. Anything going down totally not chewed is going to get stuck.

It's true. The band does have a mind of it's own. There are so many things that can cause it to get tighter. Most people do complain about being too tight in the morning,and tighter during their period. I never had either of those two problems, but sure did if I did not chew well enough! I am glad I am done with all of it.

The getting stuck never had any rhyme or reason for me either. You are not alone. I would notice however, that right before my monthly cycle, I could not eat at all. It was so strange. That was the only constant. Other than that, I would be able to eat certain things one day and not the next. Mornings I did not usually even try, because if it didnt go down I knew I was in for an entire day of throwing up my own spit. Sorry that sounds gross. But really it is. The band is a mystery to me. Mine seriously had a mind of its own. Hope so badly to get approved for the sleeve. Wish you well.

I completely and totally relate to what you are talking about! I feel for you, I honestly do. I do not miss the band in the least!

You gotta love it when you stand up and your pants fall down. I take that as a good, yet slightly embarrassing, sign.

Right now, I am going through a pretty stressful time in my life. My husband and I are having marital problems and are most likely going to separate very shortly. When I had my band, if I was experiencing this kind of stress, it would be completely closed up on me and I wouldn't be able to eat anything. But, with my sleeve, no worries.

WasA, if you read this, I need some advice please. Lee didn't get enough of the Nexium for me and I have already run out. I tried Prilosec, but by late afternoon I am finding that reflux is kicking in. I have tried taking a second one in the afternoon, but that is not helping either. Is there anything over the counter that might work better for me?

I am sorry to hear about you and your hubby and hope it all works out for you. As for the heartburn, you can try OTC Tagamet. They sell the OTC as 150 mg in each pill. The Rx strength is 300 mg so try that with Breakfast and dinner.

WasA, if you read this, I need some advice please. Lee didn't get enough of the Nexium for me and I have already run out. I tried Prilosec, but by late afternoon I am finding that reflux is kicking in. I have tried taking a second one in the afternoon, but that is not helping either. Is there anything over the counter that might work better for me?

Susan, I am so so sorry to hear about your marital problems. I hope everything works out the best for you ... I strongly suggest counseling, it's done wonders for my relationship.

I am not a nurse; however, I have suffered with GERD for years and I have found, when I am out of nexxium, that if I take 4 OTC Zantac, it wipes out the acid reflux. A pharmacist friend of mine said that 2 OTC Zantac = 1 RX ... so I've always taken 2 when the acid relux is minimal. If I let it get out of hand, then I take 4 and it seems to subside. Not sure what the RNs out there will think of that, I only know it works for me and I've been doing it for years, since OTC Zantac came out (in fact, I actually use the Sam's Club generic brand)

Good luck to you with everything.

Thanks for the advice guys, I am going to give it a try. Right now, I am sitting here and feel like my insides are literally burning, the acid is killing me.

Thanks for the kind words regarding my husband and I as well. I am not exactly sure what will happen, but we shall see.

((((Susan))))

I wish you the best.

You gotta love it when you stand up and your pants fall down. I take that as a good, yet slightly embarrassing, sign.

That is awesome Susan!!

I am sorry about your marital problems. I have been there and know the difficulties! {{{hugs}}}

I am doing well with my band but am so happy to read about the sleeve in case I need it!

I will not gain the weight back!!

Thanks for the hugs and support, guys. It means a lot. I am trying not to let myself get too down over all this. My weight loss keeps me excited about my future.

CC, if you ever do go to the sleeve, you will love it!

Thanks for the hugs and support, guys. It means a lot. I am trying not to let myself get too down over all this. My weight loss keeps me excited about my future.

CC, if you ever do go to the sleeve, you will love it!

Anytime, I went through a seperation last year and it was a total nightmare. I understand.

Oh I sooo wish my Insurance covered it. I'm always in here secretly dreaming and wishing. I might have to find a way to get it somehow...

Is there a message board anywhere that discusses only the Sleeve?

Anytime, I went through a seperation last year and it was a total nightmare. I understand.

Oh I sooo wish my Insurance covered it. I'm always in here secretly dreaming and wishing. I might have to find a way to get it somehow...

Is there a message board anywhere that discusses only the Sleeve?

Give it a few days and the new message board will be up and running. Alex is calling it verticalsleevetalk.com.