Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My husband just had the lap band surgery and he would never join a discussion forum. I wanted to join because I want to help him through this process with support and ideas for making his meals enjoyable. He is on a liquid diet right now as he just had the surgery on March 3rd. He is tired of the shakes and clear broth and I am trying to find ideas for something nutritious. I made chicken Soup and strained it, he has had Jello and ice pops and of course the Protein Shakes. We just ordered a Protein Powder that is tasteless that we will put in his soup once it arrives. If you have any suggestions for a different meal I can make today, I would appreciate it. I looked at an "egg drop" soup on one of the sites that require clear broth and egg whites. I'm thinking about making that. Any other suggestions? I also hope it's okay for me to join in the discussions if I am not the one who had the surgery. Thank you

Hi. I am going to be banded on the 10th but I have friends who have already been banded and they were eating things like fat free pudding. Our Doc says that it really isn't about loosing weight right after surgery than it is to get your nutrients.

hi & welcome, i think the liqid diet is the hardest bit, well was for me by the 3rd week out of 4... stay positive it will pass & then he can go to mushy foods which taste of heaven lol... welcome again :)

Hi. I am going to be banded on the 10th but I have friends who have already been banded and they were eating things like fat free pudding. Our Doc says that it really isn't about loosing weight right after surgery than it is to get your nutrients.

He was able to have the fat free pudding before the surgery too, but not for two weeks after the surgery. They don't want you to get sick following surgery and milk (even skim milk) may 'cause him to get sick. You have to limit dairy to nothing following the two weeks after surgery. We have to stick with clear broths and sugar free pops. I'm in the process of making a clear vegetable beef Soup that I am going to strain and blend...just for a variety.

hi & welcome, i think the liqid diet is the hardest bit, well was for me by the 3rd week out of 4... stay positive it will pass & then he can go to mushy foods which taste of heaven lol... welcome again :)

Thanks again! That's what he is telling me that he can't wait for the mushy food! I know we have to get through this one! Your picture looks great! I think he also will feel better once the clothes start falling off of him. I think he has lost at least 20 to 25 lbs. already! He is just so sick of these shakes! I can't wait for that Protein powder to get here this week. Then at least we will know that he is getting added protein in the Soup broth. We found a protein at Trader Joes that has 46grams of protein. At least in one shake he is getting a bunch of protein. He hates drinking them!

YOU ARE an angel, caring so much about your husband! My husband has been supportive too, but sometimes turns into the "food police" by saying "so how is that band thingy going?". :) I am not quite 7 weeks out from surgery, and having a slender husband with that kind of attitude and two tweens (10 and 11 y.o. kids) doesn't make recovery or a new lifestyle easy at times. I have a co-worker that was banded about 3 years ago, and she is such a great support at work...she'll do a thumbs up when she sees me and says "looking good". As for suggestions, just search the forums for the liquid only stage. Before he knows, it on to mushies and a whole new world of choices will open up (for both of you)!

YOU ARE an angel, caring so much about your husband! My husband has been supportive too, but sometimes turns into the "food police" by saying "so how is that band thingy going?". :confused: I am not quite 7 weeks out from surgery, and having a slender husband with that kind of attitude and two tweens (10 and 11 y.o. kids) doesn't make recovery or a new lifestyle easy at times. I have a co-worker that was banded about 3 years ago, and she is such a great support at work...she'll do a thumbs up when she sees me and says "looking good". As for suggestions, just search the forums for the liquid only stage. Before he knows, it on to mushies and a whole new world of choices will open up (for both of you)!

I hope I am doing this right when I reply! I've never been in a form before! Thanks for the kind words..I'm trying. I'm sure your husband is proud of you for all that you are doing! It will pay off and I'm happy to hear that you also have support at work.