Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else have a sensitivity to sweetners? I have Migraines when I drink sugar free products with aspartme and phenklyine??? Excuse me for not spelling them right, I do not have these products in my home, they cause me to have MIGRAINES which last up to 3 days.

I have tried Splenda and that gives me a regular headache. So does anyone have any suggestions about what I should do? I don't have an appointment with the nutrionist yet, but I will be asking her this question.

Is there anyone out here like me? Please let me know what you did for shakes and drinks, and meals?

Thank you :laugh:

I have started using Stevia which comes from a plant. You can buy it in little packets. They are going to start selling it in big packages like the Splenda that you use to cook with.

I haven't had a problem with it. It's coming out as a brand called Truevia or something like that.

I don't use artificial sweeteners. I don't eat too many processed sweets, anyway, and when I do, I go for real sugar.

I got it in a store here that is like a drug store, but they carry groceries too. I am sure you can get it in a health food store but it would be more expensive.

I keep seeing ads on tv that they are coming out with it in the bigger grocery stores so soon it should be everywhere.

I got it in the natural foods section of my grocery store.

Also I picked up some Protein powder at costco (Choc and vanilla) that doesn't have the fake sugar just fructose. But it doesn't have any more calories than the stuff with the fake sugar that we got at GNC.

I don't know if you are a member or not or where you are at but at least you know that it's out there.

Good Luck!! I like to stay away from the fake sugars too. They make my lips numb of all things.

~A

I gotta get to costco!

I've heard that costco sells EAS brand but for some reason the one they sell is EAS but it takes 2 scoops for the same amount of Protein as one scoop that you can buy at Walmart. So it may seem cheaper, but you have to use twice as much.

I love costco Premier Protein Bars but they are 300 calories. I don't seem to mind that very much because it would seem if I cooked a meal, it would probably be that many calories, and I am not into cooking or making messes. I like that they don't have fake sugar in them.

Really, I think the answer is to cut down severely on processed foods, and that includes Protein shakes. We take in so many additives, artificial sweeteners etc, its just horrid.

Learn to drink Water, train yourself to drink you coffee and tea unsweetened and give up the enormous confectionary coffees. That way you dont have to worry about sweeteners OR sugar in your drinks. Make smoothies with milk and eggs and fruit instead of Protein Shakes if these are a staple of your diet. There's a lot of Protein in an egg and a glass of milk blended with say, some vanilla and a banana and its real food too.

I would vastly prefer to take in real sugar on the occasion that I want something sweet - that way I know I keep the vast proportion of my diet healthy and unprocessed and keep the sweet treat foods to the small proportion they should be.

Luckily I only drink Water and don't drink coffee or tea. I was putting splenda on my high Fiber Cereal until I discovered it was what was causing my gas problems.

Agava.. Its a natural sweetner, kinda like honey, but runnier. My kids like it and it can be put in anything from cereal to coffee... I get mine at Whole Foods. Its in the bulk area for honey and peanut butter.... Its not as sweet as honey, but it might very well solve your headaches from fake sugar...

I've never heard of that one!