Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gathering information

Hi

I'm just starting to gather information about lap banding to see if it's an option for me. This looks like a good place to start.

I need to lose 80 pounds. I have no will power when I diet and can't get motivated to begin a weight loss program and can't muster up a stick-to-it mind set.

Actually, the only time I realize that I'm over weight is when I see myself in a mirror or pictures. I'm 60 years old, and I spent 40 years being a normal weight and that's how I still see myself.

As I've gained more and more weight through the years my eating escalates as the pounds add up. I feel like "Who cares? I'm already fat, so what's one more candy bar?" I think I'm punishing myself for being fat by making myself fatter.

I think that if I had the lapband surgery and lost the 80 pounds that the lap band then could be removed and that I could maintain my weight loss. The main reason I'd want to have it removed is that it's not something I'd want to have in my body for a life time.

Seeing myself looking nice in my mind's eye would then be a reality. My thinking "What's one more candy bar going to hurt?) would go away. No need to punish myself. That's why I think the weight would stay off.

I appreciate you being there so that I can talk from my heart and not be self concious. What are some of your thoughts on what I've written?

Thanks.

Hello! I think researching is smart. For one thing, the lap band isn't designed to be removed and in fact, most who have it removed gain their weight back unless they have some other type of weight loss surgery.

Further I don't know how tall you are and how much you weigh but it's possible just being 80 pounds overweight that you would have to pay for the surgery yourself; most insurance companies have BMI's and weights you must meet or exceed before they'll pay. The surgery can be pricey.

Respectfully, because all most all of us here are unhappy with our weight and I'm sure you too are unhappy, I would suggest you try losing weight by more traditional methods. Something caused you to gain; that won't magically go away. And most of us bandsters can still eat "one more candy bar" without trouble. That's what's called a slider food and many calorie and fat laden foods are sliders. (Cookies, cake, ice cream, fries all come to mind). If you don't feel overweight and don't feel motivated to try to lose, at 60 the last thing you should do is have a surgery that you aren't prepared to embrace and work at. If you don't have health issues, nor problems with your weight, then surgery is likely not for you. If you did get the band, odds are you'd be very unhappy without some serious rethinking.

If you are just an 80-pound overweight otherwise happy and healthy person, then something like Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers might give you the motivation you need to lose those pounds.

The lap band is a miracle, but it is just a tool. It's for life, it's a lifestyle. I don't think you mentally are in the right spot for that. I don't know you and it's possible I'm wrong, but from what you've posted, other options would be better and safer and more productive for you!

I don't even know the questions to ask. You gave me some important things to look at. Thanks.

There are some really good books on lap band surgery on the market...I found mine on Amazon (where they have the client ratings) but a half price bookstore, a library, or a bookstore of your choice will have a good selection.

Also many surgeons have seminars that you can attend free of charge...that will answer some questions and give you more questions.

It is a big step, getting any surgery, no matter how welcome it may be. Now that you know it's intended to be permanent (but can be removed, in most instances, should a medical emergency require that) and you do still have to use the old gray matter to make good choices etc, (and you must exercise)....knowing that, if you're still interested, at least you have a starting point!

Whatever you decide, good luck to you!

I'm glad to see you post your questions, and do some research. You have to understand how a band work and what it does and doesn't do. For many people, it works well, but it does not work for everyone...

YOU have to be able to dedicate yourself to living/eating within certain parameters.

You must be willing and able to do a pre-op diet, and then faithfully follow the diet immediately post-operatively (for approx 4- 6 weeks) or else you risk compromising the band and your health. If you can't, why put yourself through the expense, and the surgery? There are people who don't follow the rules, and think everything is fine - but it is the long-term picture that they do not see...slippages, erosions, stretched pouch, etc.

You must be willing to accept drinking lots of Water, and not drinking carbonated beverages.

You must be willing to include exercise as part of your new lifestyle. Without changing your lifestyle, the band will not be 'the solution'.

You must be patient and not set unrealistic expectations...so many people get disappointed expecting that within X number of months their weight would be gone...everyone is different, and if you spend your time comparing yourself to others you will be discouraged, frustrated, and give up.

Taking the band out is an option, but as has been said, your stomach will no longer have restriction, and then (for some) it is a quick path to regaining the weight.

As for not having 'something' in my body for the rest of my life, well, people have pacemakers, artificial knees and hips, and things to enhance their appearance, for me this is a life saving device. Do I wish I didn't have to get to this point? Yes. But I am glad I have it, and will do what I can to keep it so that I can continue to live a happy healthy long life.

Good luck on whatever decision you make; do your research and honestly examine your motivations and how you think and act. This is not a 'quick fix'...this is hard work and dedication.