Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Someone explain the logistics, PLEASE!

I know this sounds funny, use the food pyramid and a shot glass. That is what I have been doing, and it works for me. I measure it with the shot glass and I try to do what I can out of the pyramid. I lost a huge amount of weight, and now I am losing normal, about 1-3 pounds a week. I look at pounds of butter so I know that is what is gone off my body. I had surgery on 4/15/05 and I am down 108 pounds.

Best advice that someone on this board ever gave was - get rid of the scale!! Had I not done that I would have obessed about my weight on a daily basis. Now I don't weigh myself until I go to the doctor and cmpare what my weight was prior and what it is now. Weight can fluctuate from day to day. The best way to tell is by the way your clothes are fitting you. You may not be loosing pounds but you may be loosing inches which is a good thing!! Try not to pay attention to what the scale says but by what your clothes say. It's easier said than done but you may be pleasantly suprised!!! :D

Hi,

For the first six months after I got my band I gained back the 17 pounds I'd lost during the liquids only phase. I got it in July, lost 17, gained it back and then didn't start losing again until the following January, but only like 3 pounds a month for several months. I figured I was going to be part of the small percentage that the band didn't work for. Now I'm a size four, down from a 24. It just took time that's all.

Mae

Your immediate post-op weight loss was merely fluids. You rehydrated and then lost fat.

Step away from the scale!

Use your belt to see how you're doing.

also log what you eat...try www.fitday.com

I just pasted a few days ago saying I was having this problem. I set a fill appointment and decided to enjoy a week of eating prior to my fill. GUESS WHAT--> Down 3 pounds since then...too weird.

There sure seems to be a rash of this going around.

I almost quit because I wasn't losing and I thought I should have been. I felt terrible and actually had a temper tantrum...

So, instead of tracking my weight (I'll not be getting on a scale until my next doctor's appointment...) Instead, I'm tracking all my NSVs (Non scale Victories) http://lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8943 since I have no scale victories lately. Tracking these helps me keep focused and on track.

Guest j. lynn

I just don't understand how this can logically be. How can a normal, healthy 31 year old cut their portions in 1/2, improve the things they eat, and STILL not lose weight? I need some real, scientific kind of explanation for this.

Thanks in advance to all you beautiful skinny people!!!

Possibilities:

You might have been gaining weight before and are just now starting to maintain.

You might be getting in too few calories and your body is holding on.

Even though you are eating healthier, you body might still be malnourished because its lacking in something - Protein or some type of Vitamin.

You might be gaining muscle, which would offset some of the weight loss.

You might be still taking in too many calories.

Your body might just be on a plateau.