Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alcohol. When are we able to drink again...obviously I am not talking about getting drunk, but what about a casual drink? I was banded a week ago and I know this is way too soon, but I am a single gal who likes to go out (which probably got me here in the first place, bars and greasy bar food!) and I was curious to find out how long people waited to try a drink again.

Melanie

weight.png

I went out at 6 weeks post op - danced for 7 hours and drank - a lot. I was perfect up to that point and since I only do that once or two a year - even if that I was fine with it. I wouldnt have drank sooner though - I was too paranoid!

Ask your surgeon. I think you're probably safest to wait a few months to allow plenty of time to heal etc...but each doc is different in his/her guidelines for patients.

I had wine 2 weeks after surgery. One thing to be careful of is that you will feel the effects VERY fast. 1 glass and I'm feeling no pain, 2 and I'm down right silly.

The biggest danger with drinking is that you do NOT want to allow yourself to get sick and you will be taken by surprise at how much less you can drink now. So any old rules of number of drinks you can have wtihout a hangover are out the window.

Just be very cautious.

I used to love a glass of wine most nights, im 6 weeks post op & i have had 3 small glasses on seperate occasion & the 3rd time i did not enjoy it, & im not bothered about the stuff now, i will drink something non-alcoholic & non fizzy drink, & thats coming from someone who loved her wine & could easily drink 2-3 bottles a week...

I had a couple of vodka's 19 days post my surgery.(with OJ). I had cleared it with my surgeon.

Was kind of down so to cheer me up my wife suggested we have a drink. Felt much better and was a perfect 'pick me up'.

The funny part is I was a Bacardi drinker but after one sip - hated it and switched to vodka!

Highly recommended if you are feeling low!

The funny thing is I could not really drink before the band it bothered my tummy to much I could feel it burn going down. I think I had my 1st drink around christmas time (banded 11-7) and it did not bother me at all. I have been with my husband for 15 years and he could count on 1 hand how many times he has seen me drunk. But wine is my new posion. This year he has seen me drunk more then 6 times. yes it is a lot of emty calories but you just have to count the calories. Lifes to short..I finally feel good..so I like to go out now..

Good question MJG.. I was wondering the same thing. Like you, I am a single gurl that likes to go out and kick it up once in awhile :confused:, :)