Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Restriction???

I was banded jan 27,2009. There is nothing in my band. I am scheduled for my 1st fill on march 11th. My issue is this: I have advanced to a regular diet as ordered by my surgeon. I find that, if i eat too fast or don't chew well enough, i get the sensation of being stuck. The food may even come up (pb). My concern is that if i get a fill might this become worse even if i chew well. I know what foods made me feel this way and can stay away from them. I have been losing 1-2 lbs a week and continue to track all my food. Has anyone else experienced this. Do i have some restriction now?

Kathy, That is normal, post surgery. You need to eat smaller amounts and chew more-the issue is how fast and how much you eat. not the band. If you are having this all the time,esp if you are eating smaller bites and chewing thoroughl, then let your doctor know. But look at your own behavior . Get the fill.

You are newly banded and will have to see what works for you, but remember, everyone is different. Some Drs put the band in with a bit of fill in so you may have some that you are not aware of. I have been through a lot, trying to find the right amount of fill in the last 8 mo and have met many people with lots of different experiences.

I have heard someone say (after losing 105lbs when they were at their goal) that they never needed a fill at all. I have 5.5cc in my10cc band when I have good restriction, my friend has 9cc in her 10cc band and has less restriction. I know someone who had a 4cc band filled to the brim and never got restriction(poor girl). It depends on many things. What size band you have, your personal internal size, hormones, stress- all these things change your restriction and your ability to eat.

You will need to wait until right before it is your fill appt and see how you feel and how you are handling food to determine if you want a fill or not. Be patient and don't worry!

Here are some indicators you might need a fill:

1. Able to eat large amount of food in one sitting (the amount seems to somewhat vary from doctor to doctor).

2. Getting hungry within a couple of hours after eating a good solid meal.

3. Not losing weight while eating healthy foods.

Since you know you're getting stuck when you eat too fast and you're not chewing enough, I wouldn't use that as an indication that you do or don't need a fill. Eating properly with the band is just something that you'll have to be mindful of.

this is a great post, because i have the exact feeling.

i was banded on 2/16 and have gotten that feeling in my chest twice, because i start eating bites like i did before i was banded. i am literally trying to retrain my brain to slowly quiet the hunger in my stomach.

our mouths are designed to take big honkin bites, thats why we have big jaws and sharp teeth, but that's now over for me. i don't think i will ever be able to take a normal bite off a sandwich again.

i am able to eat about 60% of what i used to. i am going to get a fill 3/31. i want to lose weight a little quicker than i am now.

congrats on your weight. you are doing awesome.