Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Surgery FAQs

Will I be sick a lot after the operation?

The LAP-BAND® System limits the amount of food you can eat at one time. If you feel nauseated on a regular basis, it could mean that you aren't chewing your food well enough or that you aren't following the post-surgical diet rules properly. However, it could also mean that there is a problem with the placement of the LAP-BAND® System, so contact your doctor if you continue to get sick. You must avoid vomiting as much as possible because it can cause your small stomach pouch to stretch. It can also lead to slippage of part of the stomach through the LAP-BAND® System, offsetting the effectiveness of your surgery. In some severe cases, damage due to vomiting can mean another operation.

Will I feel hungry or deprived with the LAP-BAND® System?

The LAP-BAND ® System makes you eat less and feel full in two ways: first, by reducing how much your stomach can hold at one time and second, by increasing the time it takes food to get through your digestive system. After a small meal, the amount of which varies from person to person, you should feel full and satisfied for some time. If you follow the nutrition guidelines when you choose your food and then chew it well, you shouldn't feel hungry or deprived. Remember, the LAP-BAND ® System is a powerful tool to help you change your eating habits.

Can I eat anything in moderation?

After your stomach has healed, you may eat most foods that don't cause you discomfort. However, since you can only eat a small amount at a time, it is important that you choose nutritious, vitamin-rich foods as outlined on this site and recommended by your surgeon and/or dietitian. Remember, if you eat foods that contain lots of sugar and fat or drink liquids full of empty calories (milkshakes, sodas), you will still be consuming more calories than you burn, and your weight loss with the LAP-BAND® Adjustable Gastric Banding System may be greatly reduced or even cancelled.

Can I drink alcohol?

Alcohol has a lot of calories and breaks down Vitamins. An occasional glass of wine or other alcoholic beverage, though, is not considered harmful to weight loss.1

Can I go out to eat?

Order only a small portion, such as an appetizer. Try to eat as slowly as you can. It will help if you stop eating at the same time as your dinner companions. You might want to let your host or hostess know in advance that you cannot eat very much. Ask your surgeon for a LAP-BAND® Patient Card included in the Post-Op Patient Packet provided by Allergan. The patient card explains what the LAP-BAND® System is and states that you cannot eat very much (this card can also be helpful if you have an unrelated medical emergency).

Am I allowed to have my LAP-BAND® System opened for a special occasion?

While it might seem tempting and easy, your LAP-BAND® System should never be opened to eat a big meal at a special occasion. The LAP-BAND® System can be opened for medical reasons, though, such as pregnancy, when you will need to increase your nutritional intake.

Does the LAP-BAND® System limit any physical activity?

The LAP-BAND® System should not hamper any type of physical activity. You should be free to do aerobics, stretches, and any strenuous exercise you enjoy once you've completely recovered, and your surgeon gives you the 'ok'.

Do I have to be careful with the access port just underneath my skin?

The access port is placed under the skin in the abdominal wall, and once the incisions have healed, it should not cause discomfort or limit any physical exercise. The only sensation you may experience from the port occurs when you go in for adjustments. If you feel persistent discomfort in the port area, talk to your doctor.