Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To band or not to band....

To band or not to band.... This is the question I am wrestling with.

For years I have had an insurance company that flatly refused to do a band on me. New job, killer insurance and there is a 90% chance I will get approved right out of the gate. I have sleep Apnea (documented), High BP (documented), and borderline Diabetic.

I was a skinny kid so skinny in fact my friends swore I had an eating disorder. I ate like a horse and then some but I was active and had an off the charts metabolism. I never weighed more than 135. I was 5 foot 8 with a 36 DD chest, very curvy with a tiny waist. No issues with weight until I had my first child. Between my 6th and 9th month I went from 145 to 210. It was like someone was injecting me with Water or fat or something. I was still active. I walked everywhere, took yoga, watched what I ate the whole 9 yards. After my baby I stated active (duh new baby) and got down to 165 on my own. I stayed at that weight until I had my second baby. Same thing, more pounds… this time I went to 165 to 230. I was not as active and the extra weight had started to take its toll on my knees and back. Gaining so much weight so fast put my “body and skeletal system into shock” according to my doctor. I started PT, worked out as best I could and watched what I ate. By the time baby # 3 came along I was 190 and again active (but in a lot of pain). Third time was the charm it would seem. The bottom fell out from under me. I went to 290 and had sever depression after the baby. After post partum went away issue were still lingering. My doc sent me to a shrink and low and behold I find out I am Bipolar the 24th power!!!!

Like a fool I let them pump me with an insane amount of medication because the thought of being crazy scared the hell out of me. My outbursts were taking a toll on my marriage as well as my children. Meds worked… for about 6 months. Zoloft, Zyprexa, Celexa and our lovely thyroid killing friend lithium (lot and LOTs of lithium my friends 2k mils twice a day… oh yeah crazy!). To top it all off my birth control at the time was Depo. Needless to say waking up out of a haze 2 years later I find myself… still a little batty, 335 pounds and unable to loose a pound. This was 5 years ago.

Here is my dilemma now that you know a little bit about my background… food is not my problem. I despise soda, don’t like sweets of any kind really, don’t eat many fried foods, watch my calorie intake (I try and keep it under 2k a day), swim and work out 3 times a week, drink about 6 to 9 ounces of Water a day and I don’t eat after 8pm. I walk in the evenings with my husband and IT WONT GO AWAY!

All the crazy meds were flushed a few years ago, I conquer my mental issues with meditation, self discipline and communication with my husband when I start to see the signs of anger and must admit I am doing swimmingly. My question is… if food is not my problem but im 5 foot 9 and 334… do I still need the lapband?

I don’t want to stick something in me that dose not need to be there. I tried asking this same (long) question at an open seminar we had on the lap band and all I got was a bunch of :cursing:cheerleader:cursing: like answers “oh its great my life is so much better”. Yeah but…. Your problem was food. Is this right for me “ You will loose all the weight you want YEAH!”

All I want is a straight answer….:thumbup:

Anyone?

Welcome Whiterabbit. I personally would talk to a weight loss surgeon first. Have your family Dr. run test to make sure it isn't your thyroid. Make sure that you do a lot of research and do what is right for you. Good luck on whatever you decide.7_5_142.gif

Hi, and welcome to LBT.

The best answer I can give you is to tell you what the band can do, if you work with it. Now, if it'll work for you is something only you and your doctor can determine.

The band leaves a 4 oz (volume) pouch at the top of your stomach (think bottom heavy hour glass). The nerves that send the message to your brain that you've had enough to eat are located at the top part of your stomach.

So, the band works by tricking your brain into believing that 1/2 cup or so of food you just ate is a-okay. Different doctors have different philosophies on just about everything, it seems, but my doctor wants me to eat three, Protein rich, 1/2 cup meals per day plus one low cal snack.

The band has a dirty little secret though. While solid foods stick around on top in your pouch, foods like ice cream and Cookies can slide right through.

You have to have a good bit of self control, but zapping hunger is a HUGE help with keeping the junk food cravings away. You also cannot eat big meals, if that's your vice.

However, if you're eating very small healthy meals and not snacking on junk food, I'm not sure how the band can help.