Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diabetes and lap band

Not sure that this is the correct place to ask but...I have type 2 diabetes and am in the process to be banded, but I had a couple of questions:

How has this whole process affected your diabetes? Are you still on meds? Does the post operative diet work the same? Any bad reactions from the surgery and your meds?

Thanks so much for any help that you all can provide.

Elgrad

I ahve been banded since 11/08 and my diabetes is better. My doc has been able to take me off 2 of my meds and gaol is to get off all meds. For me it has been a slow process but well worth it even if it is only 1 less pill I have to take. Diet has stayed the same but less food. I have restriction now which is wonderful!!! Meds go down fine except for metformin....I have to crush it and it tastes nasty. Oh well what a price to pay:)

I was banded last monday and took my last insulin on last Saturday......I took 4 massive shots of over 80 units a day...on my liquid diet I am staying around 200 blood gulcuse with very little excercise yet....should start going down as I get more active....the Dr. says that 75 pct of bander who are diabetic will be totally off of insulin if they watch themselves....so far so good.

I was Banded on Jan.21,2008 and taken off my actos and amaryl in march after only a 30 pound loss.Im now 13 months and 95 pounds total loss and am now off my blood pressure and lipid medicines.I now do not take any prescription medicine and its great.

I was banded on january 13th, i have type 2 diabetes,high cholestral,high blood pressure,he took me off diabetes meds an cholestral meds so fao everything seems ok.still taking my blood pressure pills.< /span>

My surgery was 10/13/2008. Before surgery I was taking 2000mg of metformin a day along with two 10mg of byetta shots a day. Before surgery, my doctor took me off the byetta. After surgery, I went down to 1000mg of metformin a day. Just went to my diabetes doctor and my diabetes is under control. She is putting me on 500mg time released per day and does not want to see me for six months. Hopefully by then, she will take me off all medicine. Just listen to your doctor. He will do what is right for you.

Etch1,

I am at about the same place with my meds that you were before your surgery. It is a positive note that you have been taken off the Byetta ( I hate shots) and have had your dosage dropped on the other. It gives me hope. Thanks for the info. More important to me than the weight loss is getting my diabetes under control. Of course, I would not be unhappy if I lose some weight :wink:

Elgrad

My blood suger dropped to 59 on Friday evening so I had to eat a couple oranges and an apple. That has been the lowest it has been ever and I had the shakes and was a little disfunctional. I am glad my wife noticed and asked me to check my level. I am on a full liquid diet and weight loss has stalled (after a 20lb loss) and surgery is scheduled for the 4th of March. I need to call my DR and see if some of the drugs can be stopped already. I have been staying above 100 since Friday and checking two to three times a day.

Not sure that this is the correct place to ask but...I have type 2 diabetes and am in the process to be banded, but I had a couple of questions:

How has this whole process affected your diabetes? Are you still on meds? Does the post operative diet work the same? Any bad reactions from the surgery and your meds?

Thanks so much for any help that you all can provide.

Elgrad

I have not taken any diabeties medicines since I went into the surgery for lapband. I was taking 2 shots a day of lantus and 2 shots a day of byetta. I was taking 2 1 Gram metamorpine tables a day, 1 glipiczde XL, 1 liprosil, and 1 Tricore. I am taking nothing now. I may have to start Tricore back if my test on Friday shows up bad.

Now I am taking other things. I am taking a prenatal Vitamin a day, along with 2 tums, and Citrical petite tables along with Biotin.