Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Inconsistent Band!!

Ever since my 4th fill which kicked in 4 weeks afterwards I have NO Idea what to expect from my band. I understand that the stomach is constantly churning, but my band changes from meal to meal.

It's most troublesome when I go out to eat. Order a just Soup, or order something more solid. I just have no idea what I'm going to get.

Finally, if I am a bit stuck from eating something, and it is not going down very well my wife says I should get up and move around, go for a short walk or something. Has anyone found that to be helpful? :(

I am trying so hard to follow the band rules......

I hate to say this, but experience has not helped me as much as I would like on this one. I had tightness today while out at lunch that I did not realize. One bite of clam chowder and I was in pain... something got stuck and I HAD chewed. I walked it off (it DOES work!) as well as went to the bathroom and twisted around, stretching my back as much as possible to relieve the tightness in my back. It DID eventually resolve itself, but I stuck with hot tea after that. DH ate my soup... The band is a very fickle thing, that is affected by stress, humidity, barometric pressure, etc, etc. Just hang in there...

Thanks for your reponses. Like last night we took my mother in law out to eat and I had been tight earlier in the day so I just ordered some Soup. It went down with NO restriction so I asked my wife for a portion of her Pasta. That went down like I had no band at all. Strange. Later in the evening I had a banana and I had trouble with it. I wish I could decifer the signs ahead of time--I need to get my Protein in!! :wink:

I am in the same boat lately. I had a fill and little unfil the end of January. Was fine and really loose up until yesterday. I think it is my shift work. Every time I'm on 3rd shift, my band is wacko. I couldn't eat much all day today, pb'd twice on what I did eat after not doing that for weeks. Had a snack at 2am and almost got stuck on that too. I go for a fill on friday, which I really thought I needed last week when I scheduled it, but now I'm not so sure. I haven't lost much this past month since the little unfill, and have been really frustrated with my bad choices and laziness. Our whole family has been sick for two weeks, the first week with rotovirus, last week with colds, so I haven't had the time or energy for exercise. That treadmill in my room has been giving me dirty looks for days. I'm wavering on whether or not to go for my fill. I think once I'm off third shift next week I'll be back to normal and sorry if I don't get the fill. I'm hoping for .5-.75cc to get me back up to where I was before. This weight loss has been much slower than I thought it would be. I'm almost 6mo out and down almost 40lbs. Kind of disappointed, but I know most of it is my own fault, so I'm disappointed with myself.

My surgery date is very near yours, and I have only lost 46lbs in that time frame. However, I have only been at my optimum restriction for less than a month now. So I figure the weight will start coming off more consistently now, and also since it is March I am hoping the weather will break soon and I can get outside more, walking and riding my bike. I am getting very sick of my stationary bike in the basement!!

My biggest issue now is I simply cannot tell from meal to meal whether my band will be loose, or tight. Just can't tell. Driving me nuts!!!

My band seems to change from day to day. One day I cannot eat much, the next I feel like I cannot get full. My attitude is that this is fairly "normal." I watch my hubby who does not have a weight problem, some days he eats more than others.

I do tend to have problems when eating out. I think because I am usually more talkative and fail to pay attention like I should.

And yes, walking when stuck helps bunches. I do laps up and down our hallway. Hubby says that some day I am going to wear out the carpet. I don't know why moving helps, but it truly does.

Also, when I am about to get stuck I apparently get an odd look on my face. Sometimes my hubby spots it before I feel it!

Denise

I am so glad that I am reading this! So, it does change with time? I was too tight about 6 months ago, getting all kinds of gerd etc. So, they took some out. I have been afraid to get a re-fill, but I find that I have really no restriction. I mean I am at 3.25 cc in a 4.0 cc band, but could eat seconds at every meal. I thought, well this is all I can get out of this tool... but it sounds like maybe another fill could work as the band is not consistent. I may not get the gerd this time. Thanks for this post!!

I'm with you guys. My band is not liking me right now. I just had my fourth fill. Did really fine for the two days of liquids and the first day of mushies and now all of a sudden it doesn't like me at all. I don't want to get an unfill unless I absolutely have to because it took me a while to get to this point. I freak out eating out as well and on Sunday even Soup was a problem, but I took it home. Mornings are the worst. A good eat out meal is the Tomato basil Soup at Applebees (if you have one near you) you can also order it with a side of mini cheeseburger sliders (I take off the bun of course). If you can't get through the sliders, take them home.

I am so glad that I am reading this! So, it does change with time? I was too tight about 6 months ago, getting all kinds of gerd etc. So, they took some out. I have been afraid to get a re-fill, but I find that I have really no restriction. I mean I am at 3.25 cc in a 4.0 cc band, but could eat seconds at every meal. I thought, well this is all I can get out of this tool... but it sounds like maybe another fill could work as the band is not consistent. I may not get the gerd this time. Thanks for this post!!

I had to have a slight unfill two weeks after a fill. About a month later I had half the amount taken out put back in and I was fine.

Denise