Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band causing irregular bleeding??

I have been having some abnormal bleeding now for about a month. I went to my gyno today to see what might be going on. I haven't seen her since I had surgery so she immediately noticed my weight loss. When I told her about the bleeding, she started telling me that it is from the Lap Band and not being able to absorb my birth control pill correctly!! I am very confused. I told her that the surgeon said there would be no problem with continuing to take my pill after surgery. She didn't believe it. I tried to tell her how the band works and that there isn't a problem with absorption. She kept interupting me and telling me that I was wrong! She also told me that I am malnourished from the band! I had surgery in May and I tried to tell her that I don't believe it is from surgery because I don't think it would have just now started. But she would not listen to me. She was very rude! I am very worried about the bleeding because cancer runs very strongly in my family and my sisters have all had some type of reproductive cancer. She barely examined me and told me the bleeding was about to stop, but it's not. She also accused me of not taking my pill as I am supposed to, which is a total lie! She wants to take me off the pill and put me on something nonhormonal because she thinks the band interfers with the hormones! I am very confused! Has anyone ever heard of this? I was so upset, I left her office in tears!

First of congratulations on your weight loss. Your gyno is an idiot. If I were you, I would get a new one. Preferably one who knows a little bit more about that band than her. (I know that will be hard to find) She obviously is confusing the band to gastric bypass. My doctor told me the same thing that the band wouldn't affect any of the pills I was taking, just to take them one at a time about 5 mins apart and with warm liquid. Good luck to you.

Find someone new quick. I've not lost a beat with my birth control since surgery.

Good Luck

Thanks. Once I calmed down a little, I did call a new doctor and I have an appointment next week. I think I was more upset with the way she talked to me than anything!

Gosh, how do these people ever make it into the medical profession? Most laypeople know more about the band than that and you would think that being a medico, although she's a gyno, she'd have enough intelligence t have a pretty broad general knowledge.

I agree, she's an idiot and getting a new doctor is a very good idea. The band does not cause you to not absorb your birth control pill or every second bandster would be up the duff within a month or two.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I told her that and she said, "Well doesn't it make sense that since you are not eating the same that your meds wouldn't be absorbed the same?" No, that doesn't make sense. She also made it sound like I never eat. She ask me what all do I usually eat a day and when I told her she basically made it sound like I was anorexic or something. I told her I still eat 3 solid meals a day, just a lot less than before. She told me that I was malnourished! I still weigh over 200 pounds, so I'm not sure that's possible! She made it sound like I needed to be in the hospital with a feeding tube!