Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When you need to lose 200+ pounds, how do you get started with exercise?

What exercise works best for you?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What exercise works best for you?

So I've lost my first 100 pounds. What an incredible feeling of accomplishment. I'm noticing all the other things that come with such an accomplishment. For example, I can now wear "regular" jeans. I'm not scared to sit in chairs. I can get up from the ground. I can Jog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can stay on the AMT (cardio machine) at the gym longer than most skinny chicks! And what's more is, as Nina Simone likes to sing... I'm feeeeeeeeelin gooooooood.

So I've lost my first 100 pounds. What an incredible feeling of accomplishment. I'm noticing all the other things that come with such an accomplishment. For example, I can now wear "regular" jeans. I'm not scared to sit in chairs. I can get up from the ground. I can Jog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can stay on the AMT (cardio machine) at the gym longer than most skinny chicks! And what's more is, as Nina Simone likes to sing... I'm feeeeeeeeelin gooooooood.

WTG! CONGRATS to you! Yes it is a wonderful feeling! I just wish I had you exercise spirit! I hate it and never do it. I would be losing a lot faster if I did, and be in better shape as well. The sitting on charis thing was a BIG one for me! How nice to not worry if it would break!

LapBandGirl4Life...I'm so inspired by you! I wish I had your drive to exercise. I'm really having a hard time making myself get started each day, and I'm skipping too many days just because I can't take that first step. What is your motivation? What REALLY get you moving, day in and day out, to exercise?

Momster, the short answer is... I want to live. Exercise to me has become just as important as brushing my teeth. It's something that HAS to be done. You know, it was really hard for me at first. I used to weigh 377 pounds and I'm only 5'3!! I was embarrassed that I could hardly even walk 20 feet, but I kept it up, and kept pushing myself because it means a lot to me. This is my last chance to get it right and I don't want to fail. I can't fail and I won't fail.

Other things that get me going and keep me going? My dreams. My dreams of a better life, dreams of love, dreams of happiness. For once in my life, I am actually believing that I deserve all of this and soo much more.

It takes a while to form a routine, but trust me, momster, if you dedicate yourself, even if it's walking 1 block everyday, I think you'll find after a week of doing this, you'll want to go further. I think the key is to start small and gradually increase, and no matter what... just keep doing it.

I've hit another milestone. I am now officially more than halfway to my goal weight. I want to cry. lol

Momster, I hope you're doing ok? I have faith you'll get there, just start slow. Start out with a small exercise goal but do it every day. I think that will help establish a routine.

LapBandGirl4Life,

I am sooo happy for you! You should be so proud of yourself and what you've accomplished. I can just imaging the difference that it's made in your life...and it will only get better!

As for myself, I'm in a bit of a crisis right now. After a few weeks of getting my band the first week of May, I really couldn't feel any restriction. I just got my first fill two weeks ago (4ccs) and still can't feel difference.

I am following Atkins diet and exercising, but I am sooo discouraged. It's just like dieting/exercising without the lap band. I was really counting on the band to keep me "honest" and to help keep me from gaining back any weight that I lost, as I've done time and time again. My doctor says that I'm doing great and not to be discouraged, but I can't help it.

Did your band work from the start? Did it take awhile before you actually felt a difference in what/how much you could eat?

I'd love to hear from you...and anyone else out there.

Congratulations again! It's people like you that keep me hopeful.

Hi Everyone,

I am being banded on June 1, 2009 and I am self pay. I was sooo excited about finally getting the money I made the mistake of telling everyone about my surgery. Now regret it. I am afraid I will fail because, I have sooo much to lose. My current weight is 364. Did everyone know about your surgery?

I have not had my surgery yet, but in all the research I have done, you are normal, the period between surgery and sweet spot can be 6-12 weeks, so dont give up, stay the course, once you get the optimum fill level it will get easier. My doctor tells me dont even plan on losing weight before week 6 if you that is a bonus, if not you will once the fills are at the right spot.

Momster, thank you so much for your kind words. I really do appreciate it.

When I was first banded, I didnt have much of an appetite for about 2 weeks, then my appetite came back full throttle. During this time I did not have any restriction and I had researched enough to realize that people refer to this time as "bandster hell". I had to wait 6 weeks for my first fill, and I'm sure if I wanted to I probably could have gobbled up just about anything, but I didn't try, so I can't tell you for certain. I guess I was just fortunate enough to have the willpower to make it through to my first fill. However, unfortunately, when my 6 week fill came around I had lost just over 50 pounds and my doctor wasn't too keen on giving me much of a fill, but he did and luckily it's enough to keep me satisfied. I'm not stuffed, but I'm content.

If I was in your situation, I'd be frustrated too, but hang in there, it sounds like it's just a matter of finding your "sweet spot". Make sure you stay in touch with your doctor and keep getting those fills. You'll get there. I know you will. I also have to agree with your doctor, it sounds like you're doing great, especially for not having much restriction!

Angie, I had the same fears. I told people and then I started questioning myself and my ability. Like you, I have a lot of weight to lose, but once it starts coming off, you feel such a sense of empowerment that you'll almost want to laugh at your self-doubt. Best of luck to you!!

Hi Everyone,

I am being banded on June 1, 2009 and I am self pay. I was sooo excited about finally getting the money I made the mistake of telling everyone about my surgery. Now regret it. I am afraid I will fail because, I have sooo much to lose. My current weight is 364. Did everyone know about your surgery?

Hi Angie,

I did the same thing. I told my extended family and a few people at work (like my boss and peer workers, who needed to know why I was going to the doctor so often, and why I was in the hospital) about my banding. They were so excited for me, and I was so happy for their support. Now that the banding is done, I get the feeling that they are watching me closely, expecting the weight to be melting off every time they see me. It's tough, because as I posted previously I'm not feeling much restriction so far and it's like every other diet that I've been on.

I'm handling it by letting them know (at least, those who ask) how the band works, and that it was wide open after the operation and that Fluid will be added slowly over time until I do see the weight loss that I'm hoping for. Again, I'm happy to say that they support me, and let me know that they're rooting for me. This, so far, has been the best part of this experience for me....I just pray that I don't let them (AND MYSELF!) down.

It's funny, but I kind of feel like I'm cheating by staying on Atkins. It's like I'm fooling people into thinking that the weight I'm losing is because of the band, when it isn't (so far). It does funny things to my psyche. :thumbup:

I've decided to focus less on this drama and more on increasing my exercise. Biggest Loser has really inspired me. I hope that I'll exercise my way to losing way until the band starts to really work, then I pray that the weight will really melt off.

Good luck on your surgery! Keep in touch with your progress! I really am interested, and am praying for you!

Hi Everyone,

Hi Angie,

I did tell my extended family and some of my coworkers about my plans to get a lapband. It's hard not to, when you need to take time off for doctor appointments for tests, and for the surgery itself.

I do get the sense that, now that I've been banded for almost two months, they are looking for visible signs of weight loss. That's tough, since I have so much to lose that I really have to lose alot for them to see a difference...and because I've only lost about 18 lbs so far.

For those who ask, I explain to them a bit about how lapbands work, and that my band was wide open after surgery. I explain that I've had one fill, but that I don't feel much difference yet. I relate my hopes that my ring will eventually inflate to where I can really feel a restriction. In the meantime, I explain that I am following a typical diet and exercise plan and hoping to stay strong until the ring tool starts to help me.

So far, they have expressed their understanding and support for me, and I know that they're really rooting for me. I am putting on a very positive face, despite some of my personal doubts that I'm trying to fight. I'm determined to give this ring a real chance to work. I have no choice!

Sorry all for the double posting. The website had given me an error message the first time, and I thought it didn't take.

Hi, Lapbandgirl and momstero thanks for support. I was having a bad day of self doubt. Wow, 18lbs and 119lbs are huge accomplishments. I know exercise will be hard at first but, like you said lapbandgirl start with small steps. I can't hardly walk and I have a lot pain in my knee. I am hoping that losing weight will help.

Congrats on losing 100 pounds. I noticed you were banded on 02/05/09 how long did it take you to lose 100 pounds?