Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bet you're sorry you voted for Obama now

Thanks Phil, you're one funny dude.

I got a business credit card statement yesterday for a mastercard account. They now have instituted a fee for any charges that are on the account that you haven't paid off but it isn't the usual percentage like Leigha is talking about. I don't have the term for it in front of me but it is something that they can arbitrarily set a number for. It is a random additional fee and they call it something that is so obvious a scam that it is ridiculous. It's in addition to all the other fees and percentages they have used in the past. And it is a relatively big number. So I paid the damn thing off.

They're certainly incentivizing us to become an all cash country. And that ain't necessarily a bad thing. Especially on personal accounts that are strictly for luxury items. But sometimes using a card has been a good way to keep a small business from beccoming cash poor when sales are down.

And if you have to go to the doctor and can't pay cash for a large number like $14,500.00, being able to put it on a card can be very helpful from time to time. (That's a portion of the amount I will need to pony up to get my band converted to a sleeve. It's the part of the charges that I need to pay "up front" prior to the procedure.)

Edited by BJean

Just thought I'd share.....I did not vote for Obama. BUT he has finally done something that I agree with! And that is...allowing drilling for oil in the US! I'm sooo happy about this! I have always wondered why we rely on the Middle East for oil, when we can drill for it in our own country. If I am misinformed, please tell me! But just thought I'd share that not all Republicans are bad! haha I know none of yall have said that though!

Bjean,I`m sure there is some minor benefits and improvements geared towards the Consumer with the new credit card reform law, buts lets not forget one thing. Regardless of who sits as President in the White House, be they Liberal Democrats or Conservative Republicans, the "Throne" they occupy and sit on is much larger and more powerful then themselves. Surrounded by Wall Street, Lobbyists,Big Oil, Big Pharma, and Huge Banks as well as Corporate America in general, they will always continue to dictate the ultimate course of America. Left wing/Right wing-Teabagger or otherwise is just background noise and static. The wealthy power interests and robber barons of the past will ultimately decide what`s best for its Citizenry. Like former vice president Dick Cheny stated when told of the huge opposition to the Iraq War by both Republicans and Democrats alike, his response was.......SO? That said volumes. The Public be damned! They will soon forget, the few who don`t, well....they will at least, "forgive"! LMAO

Just thought I'd share.....I did not vote for Obama. BUT he has finally done something that I agree with! And that is...allowing drilling for oil in the US! I'm sooo happy about this! I have always wondered why we rely on the Middle East for oil, when we can drill for it in our own country. If I am misinformed, please tell me! But just thought I'd share that not all Republicans are bad! haha I know none of yall have said that though!

Drill, baby drill, drill, baby drill, eh?

We may need to drill baby so that we can have enough oil reserves to ensure that OPEC doesn't keep us captive with their outrageous oil prices. But remember our own oil companies aren't in it for the good of the U.S. They're in the business to make as much money as possible. And they will gouge Americans too.

What we seriously need are alternative energy sources. That's what I want this president to work on. That's what will provide the most benefit to our country, both environmentally and for the creation of new jobs.

BJean- I completely realize that oil companies are in it for the big bucks. lol I just think it will be good in the long run. And I may be completely wrong about it, and I will be the first to admit it too. Guess we'll see! :frown:

TN-girl: So glad that Obama finally did something to make you happy even though you thought that Sarah was more qualified to lead this Nation in case something had happened to John McCain. That said, you living in the Central part of the US, a massive oil spill (accident) is unlikely to ruin your day Cat Fishin on the Muddy Mississippi River, however those that live or make a living on the ocean coastline and that survive on Tourism based on the Ocean and Beach, drilling off shore could present a potential nightmare. Its easy to get a warm and comfy feeling that you`d rather have home grown domestic oil then buying from the Arabs that perhaps sponsor Terrorism, but the American Petroleum Institute admits that we still don`t have the (refinery) capacity to make raw domestic crude oil into its finished product ae: diesel fuel/gasoline, #2 heating oil etc. Sarah Palin wanted to :"Drill Baby Drill", but she forgot to mention we CANNOT "Refine Baby Refine". Remember the old song...Love and Marriage, "you can`t have one without the Other"!

BJean- I completely realize that oil companies are in it for the big bucks. lol I just think it will be good in the long run. And I may be completely wrong about it, and I will be the first to admit it too. Guess we'll see! :frown:

No kidding! I think no matter which side of the political spectrum you're on, it's a bit of a waiting game. There's no telling what kind of fall out we'll have to deal with on all fronts.

Politics, you can't live with 'em and you can't live without 'em!

I'm not sure where to post this, but figured this thread was a good place ...........re: all the change with Obama.

I was self-pay for my LAP-BAND® surgery. I financed it and it works like a credit card. My original contract/agreement was 0% interest for the first 6 months and then a fixed interest rate of 9.9% on the remaining balance. I noticed on my monthly bill that it now says my rate is variable. So, I called this credit card company with questions. They told me that the new credit card laws that were effective in Feb. make it so there can be no fixed rates and actually my rate can now go up since it is now variable! This new law may just screw me over.

Limited interest rate hikes: Interest rate hikes on existing balances would be allowed only under limited conditions, such as when a promotional rate ends, there is a variable rate or if the cardholder makes a late payment. Interest rates on new transactions can increase only after the first year. Significant changes in terms on accounts cannot occur without 45 days' advance notice of the change.

Sounds like your credit card company is trying to pull a fast one on you.

I think its a very politically savvy move, the last time I looked at it all of the offshore rigs in existence were committed until 2014. So drilling wont start immediately but Obama gets credit for giving up something that the republicans want. Again being bipartisan even if they aren't.

phil my biggest concern is environmental when I think about drilling for oil. I can't for the life of me understand the kind of thinking that says it doesn't matter what it does to the coastline or pristine areas inland, just so long as the oil companies are allowed to drill. It's always all about money for the Republicans.

yes, Cleo's it sure does feel like our bank is trying to pull a fast one. I'm definitely protesting that ridiculous fee. And it isn't the first time they've done something like this. The last one they had to refund on checking accounts when they got caught. And this is one of the largest banks in the nation.

Anyone who has ever had the pleasure and enjoyment of walking along the white powder sandy beaches mixed with beautiful pink coral and shells on both Sanibel and Captiva Island on the SW Coast of Florida can imagine what a massive oil spill would do to that area. Just because some of us are unfortunate enough to remain in ugly, urban, polluted, inner cities, (no names), must we all be forced to face the same potential blight so the Exxon-Mobil can continue to profit by billions of dollars while giving their shareholders nickels and dimes on their individual investments?

TN-girl: So glad that Obama finally did something to make you happy even though you thought that Sarah was more qualified to lead this Nation in case something had happened to John McCain. That said, you living in the Central part of the US, a massive oil spill (accident) is unlikely to ruin your day Cat Fishin on the Muddy Mississippi River, however those that live or make a living on the ocean coastline and that survive on Tourism based on the Ocean and Beach, drilling off shore could present a potential nightmare. Its easy to get a warm and comfy feeling that you`d rather have home grown domestic oil then buying from the Arabs that perhaps sponsor Terrorism, but the American Petroleum Institute admits that we still don`t have the (refinery) capacity to make raw domestic crude oil into its finished product ae: diesel fuel/gasoline, #2 heating oil etc. Sarah Palin wanted to :"Drill Baby Drill", but she forgot to mention we CANNOT "Refine Baby Refine". Remember the old song...Love and Marriage, "you can`t have one without the Other"!

You're 100% correct, an oil spill would not do anything where I live. But I do not live close to the Mississippi. I am in Southeast TN with the TN River, Hiwassee River and Ocoee River. And you know, if it costs money that we don't have as a country to fund drilling, then I say don't do it. Don't waste any money that we do not have.

Yeah, phil, an oil spill there would make those beautiful beaches look more like Cocoa beach. Just kidding!!! That's where we went a lot for a quick dip in the ocean when we lived in Orlando. It's not that bad. Not beautiful like Sanibel, but not that bad.