Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bet you're sorry you voted for Obama now

"New health insurance requirement ... was GOP idea" ap_logo_106.png

follow link to read the story

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_health_overhaul_requiring_insurance

Another Republican trick!

Exactly! :) And then these big corporations scream like a stuck pig when they have to provide something like health care for their workers that make the profits possible.

Or allow the workers to form a union and negotiate a contract just like the greedy CEO's do.

Republicans and Big Business have historically lobbied hard to keep "right to work for less" laws on the books as well as trying to avoid attempts to raise the hourly minimum wage. Their argument is that raising the hourly minimum wage by even a few cents will force Employers to reduce expenses by laying off Employee`s. This false premise is based on a theory that companies hire people out of the goodness of their heart and that if they had to pay a quarter more per hour for their labor, they would end the (charity) and let them go. I don`t care if its unskilled labor flipping hamburgers or pulling weeds, Employers only hire people because they need the extra hands and backs to perform the necessary labor to profit from. Its quite simple, jobs are created and staffed as necessary regardless of the hourly minimum wage and like wise reduced when business does not profit from having these extra Employees on the payroll. Don`t you just love the lobby groups (anti-labor) that the Chambers of Commerce represent to keep the working poor eating 1 dollar Value Meals for life! Its Soooooo Patriotic! Like McDonalds says, " I`m loving It!"

Edited by phil1336

More evidence that the teabaggers don't know what they're yapping about:

And finally Question #3 (the reality based answer to which should be on billboards across the country)

Question #3: Have personal taxes gone up or down under President Obama?

Teabagger Answer #3: No brainer - two thirds thought they had gone up.

Reality Answer #3: To quote Bartlett:

As noted earlier, federal taxes are very considerably lower by every measure since Obama became president
. And given the economic circumstances, it's hard to imagine that a tax increase would have been enacted last year. In fact, 40% of Obama's stimulus package involved tax cuts. These include the Making Work Pay Credit, which reduces federal taxes for all taxpayers with incomes below $75,000 by between $400 and $800.

According to the JCT, last year's $787 billion stimulus bill, enacted with no Republican support, reduced federal taxes by almost $100 billion in 2009 and another $222 billion this year. The Tax Policy Center, a private research group, estimates that close to 90% of all taxpayers got a tax cut last year and almost 100% of those in the $50,000 income range. For those making between $40,000 and $50,000, the average tax cut was $472; for those making between $50,000 and $75,000, the tax cut averaged $522.
No taxpayer anywhere in the country had his or her taxes increased as a consequence of Obama's policies.

You people are awesome and just made my day!!! I so seldom have contact with people who get it.

It is a very unpopular thing to say but I believe that our churches are a source of right wing propaganda too and people are exposed to their preachers (aptly named) on a regular basis.

Churches have a huge investment in keeping people guilt ridden and down. Now I know that there are churches that are making an effort to actually address personal and social issues in a more positive way. But I do not think that the majority of churches in America that work that way.

When support of the right wing extremist, anti-abortion, anti-homosexual, etc., stance comes from your minister, who are you to doubt him? And often he or she quotes scripture to support those declarations. To criticize the Bible or your miinister (or the Pope) is blaspheme, right?

My goodness wonderer, you're awfully young to have figured out so much of this political/governmental stuff. Kudos!

And leroy you're smack dab on point with that last post. Same goes for phil, Leigha and Cleo's.

Like I said you all made my day!

Edited by BJean

If requiring health insurance is unconstitutional then why isn't it unconstitutional to have a law that requires me to have liability insurance for my carl?

The federal government has no right, according to the Constitution, to impose upon the people to purchase anything. The states can, though. Did you know that there are some states that don't require auto insurance for their residents? Also, auto ins. is not mandated by law. But, if you want to buy a car and drive it, then you have to insure it by law. If you don't own a car, then you are not mandated to purchase it. No one makes you buy it. The car insurance you are forced to buy is not to protect you or your car, it's to protect others from you causing harm to them. Health insurance is something that you purchase for your own protection. No one should force you to purchase anything for yourself that you don't want.

You people are awesome and just made my day!!! I so seldom have contact with people who get it.

It is a very unpopular thing to say but I believe that our churches are a source of right wing propaganda too and people are exposed to their preachers (aptly named) on a regular basis.

Churches have a huge investment in keeping people guilt ridden and down. Now I know that there are churches that are making an effort to actually address personal and social issues in a more positive way. But I do not think that the majority of churches in America that work that way.

When support of the right wing extremist, anti-abortion, anti-homosexual, etc., stance comes from your minister, who are you to doubt him? And often he or she quotes scripture to support those declarations. To criticize the Bible or your miinister (or the Pope) is blaspheme, right?

My goodness wonderer, you're awfully young to have figured out so much of this political/governmental stuff. Kudos!

And leroy you're smack dab on point with that last post. Same goes for phil, Leigha and Cleo's.

Like I said you all made my day!

aahhhhhhhh, I know it was an oversight, but you forgot to add PG to that short list! If you have HBO, you MUST watch Real Time with Bill Maher. Just like his past movie on Religion, he shoots the painful truth right between the eyes and takes no prisoners. He, like myself has equal contempt upon (all) Religions and although raised Catholic by his Dad, his Mother was a non-practicing Jew, he points out all the time that more harm, agony,war, blood spilled,bigotry and prejudice has been nurtured in the name of G-D then any other platform! If thats what they say spreading the "word" or "good news" is, I`ll pass!

What kind of church do you go to anyway? Get out of there, quick! What church keeps their congregants guilt ridden and down? None that I know of.

The federal government has no right, according to the Constitution, to impose upon the people to purchase anything. The states can, though. Did you know that there are some states that don't require auto insurance for their residents? Also, auto ins. is not mandated by law. But, if you want to buy a car and drive it, then you have to insure it by law. If you don't own a car, then you are not mandated to purchase it. No one makes you buy it. The car insurance you are forced to buy is not to protect you or your car, it's to protect others from you causing harm to them. Health insurance is something that you purchase for your own protection. No one should force you to purchase anything for yourself that you don't want.

Is purchasing Auto Insurance MANDATORY in Connecticut? Most states require drivers have a minimum of Liability Insurance when they drive a vehicle. Is that Un-Constitutional too? Why should you not be forced to insure yourself for protection against sickness or ill health. The US Tax Payers end up picking up the tab otherwise through Medicare or Medicaid. Is that (fair)? Oh, I forgot, some still believe in the "Tooth Fairy". I don`t want to disturb your dream. Who besides the Tooth Fairy or Santa Claus is ultimately going to pay the bill of the un-insured (if) they elect to Opt Out?

What kind of church do you go to anyway? Get out of there, quick! What church keeps their congregants guilt ridden and down? None that I know of.

That logic is like saying....How do you know you got a "good deal" when you purchased a New Car? Ask anyone who sold cars......If you bought it, "You Got F....D"! Same with entering ANY house of (worship). Case Closed

The federal government mandates the taxes we pay and when we have a draft mandates that people of a certain age sign up.

Also, mandated health insurance is to protect those of us who pay for those who don't have insurance and go to the ER, which costs all of us. So, it is for our protection.

QUOTE=pattygreen "What kind of church do you go to anyway? Get out of there, quick! What church keeps their congregants guilt ridden and down? None that I know of."

How about the concept of "original sin" for starters. We're all rotten sinners right out the box. The only way to make up for it to pray to a diety they invented, give up the right to think for ourselves, and put plenty of cash in the collection box.

Oh, how about the Spanish Inquisition where if you didn't agree 100% with the church you were considered a heritic, punishable by torture and murder.

Yes, there's the Salem Witch Trials. People were so scared of going to hell they whipped themselves into a religous frenzy and accused innocent people who were burned at the stake for nothing.

Let's not forget about the hate crimes against homosexuals in the name of the bible. Hmmm, pick your guy: Leviticus, who also tells us not to shave our beards or plow the corners of our fields and which insects we're not allowed to eat; or Jesus, who preached tolerance and love of our fellow man.

One of my favorites are the adulters and pedafiles who pose as ministers and priests while braying from the pulpit that we must obey "god's laws" or we'll go to hell, all the while counting their cash, having affairs, and molesting their parishioners.

Last but not least are the "pro-lifers" who take lives by bombing clinics and killing doctors.

Hey, even if you're not a believer, you better not tell these god fearing people or you might just find yourself tied to a stake getting the old hot foot! If you're discovered just drink some stricknine, grab a snake to dance with and talk in tongues like those good ol' pentacostals. Now they know how to have a good time! :)

Quote Patty Green: "The federal government has no right, according to the Constitution, to impose upon the people to purchase anything."

How about the military, the highways, public education, air traffic controllers, food safety, disease control, care of the mentally and physical disabled, and so forth? When is the last time anyone asked you if you wanted to pay for that stuff? You are paying your federal taxes aren't you?

Sharon, what you said!

I notice patty didn't read my church rant or she would have known that I said most churches survive because they keep their congregations, parishoners, et. al., burdened with guilt. I was not speaking of a church that I attend today. The only reason I said not all churches are heavily invested in guilt peddling is because I know of a Unitarian church that doesn't preach guilt and negativity.

But after having been to lots and lots of different churches (including Pentacostal) they generally keep their members feeling guilty. That's how it's done. That's how it works. That's how they keep the money in the coffers. And it's how they keep people coming back every week.

And all you have to do is listen to people discuss religion on television and/or people throughout your own community to know that it is a widespread practice and not just one church. And some of the people who rant about religion here at LBT reveal just how endoctrinated and guilty they truly are.

Right you are BJean. I generalized. In particular the Unitarian Church is rather open minded and I'm sure there are other churches that are as well. I just hate when people use their religion to persecute others and when religious beliefs drive our nation's politics and laws. Everyone has the right to believe what they want so long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. We just need to be careful not to become mere sheep rather than responsible thinking people as it leaves the door wide open for tyranny.