Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Psych eval- Anyone declined for it?

Just wondering what they ask in a psych eval--- I don't want to say the wrong thing and get declined over something random. Has anyone out there been rejected after one?

I have read people post on this forum that they had to go through additional therapy in order to have the surgery. That their first pysch eval did not go well. Now those cases are few and far between.

I spent around 30 minutes speaking to the pysch evaluator about all things Band. He was very knowledgable, but so was I. He wanted to gage whether or not I knew what I was getting myself into.

Then, I spent another 40 or so minutes answering around 150-200 T/F questions, such as:

Do you follow directions

Are you happy

Do you hate yourself

Are you suicidal

I had my psych. evaluation yesterday. Was asked questions about my life now and what I expect to change and how I think I will deal with that. Such as who do I have as support in my life, do I think that will be enough support, how can you see yourself changing other than the weight. It went really well and took about 30 minutes. The one thing the person said is that I made her job easier by being open and honest so if you plan on going in there and not sharing things that might be a problem.

I'm a little nutty, so thank goodness I didn't have to have one. Just kidding - I really didn't have to have one, but wanted to wish you good luck on yours!! Becky

I just had my psych eval on Monday, 23 February. It lasted about 30 minutes and it was mostly with an RN. She asked me basic questions about my medical history; health problems, mental disorders, voices?. Then, we talked briefly about why I wanted to have the surgery and if I understood what the lifestyle changes would be, etc. It was very relaxed and pleasant. Afterwards, she brought in the Doctor and gave him the basics of what we spoke about. He signed the paperwork and I was out of there. It was not a bad experience at all. Good luck with your eval. As was stated above, honesty is the best policy and it is all for your well being, right?

Elgrad

Just wondering what they ask in a psych eval--- I don't want to say the wrong thing and get declined over something random. Has anyone out there been rejected after one?

Just be prepared to answer questions to verify that you understand what the Lap Band is and how it works. For me the verbal questions were like a pop quiz to make sure that I understood the surgery and how the band works. She asked lifestyle questions and about my food habits as well as what kind of support I have from my family.

Just be honest...if you are given a psych/personality test be sure to answer the questions honestly...they can pick up on lies. The written exam was long and tedious and was all true and false questions like. "I want to be a fireman" "I love my mother" "I like to torture animals"

Things like emotional eating, food addictions etc. are common and if it is found at any time (prior to or after surgery) that you need help with this it will be recommended that you get it but it should not disqualify you.

The only other thing besides not being prepared or lying that could disqualify you is if you were to be found to have severe psychological issues that would keep you from being a surgery candidate.

my pysch guy wanted to see if I knew what I was getting myself into and if I was mentally capable of handling wt loss surgery...I actually taught him a few things he didnt know about the band and my surgeon sends all his pts to him