Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

complications

Well I am finally home after 33 days in the hospital from lap band surgery gone wrong. short version, doctor removed an adhesion from my spleen and I bled out internally for 22 hours until they removed my spleen the next day. Came out from surgery with a ventilator. Has anyone ever heard of this happening before? It has been a very traumatic experience and I am not well yet.

I'm so sorry that you went through that horrible experience. Just wanted to tell you that I hope you're well on the road to recovery and that you start to feel better soon.

So sorry that you had to experience that....that is a LONG time in the hospital. I hope that you are on the mend, and that life can get back to normal for you.

Problems with the Lap band DO happen, and some of them can be very, very serious. I also had a bad experience, so my Heart goes out to you.

There are lots of reasons why the problems occur; bad doctors, bad instructions, NO instructions, bad aftercare, patient not following instructions.....the list is long.

Keep us posted on your progress toward health, it sounds like they have corrected the problem and that you are beginning the healing.

best of Luck!

HH

My band has moved up to my esophogus. I can barely eat and can drink nothing but Water. I can only swallow tiny pills. I had an endoscopy so I know the band moved. The doctor said it might be pressing on my pancreas and possibly cutting of the blood supply to my stomach. How can I get insurance to pay for the surgery I need?

My band has moved up to my esophogus. I can barely eat and can drink nothing but Water. I can only swallow tiny pills. I had an endoscopy so I know the band moved. The doctor said it might be pressing on my pancreas and possibly cutting of the blood supply to my stomach. How can I get insurance to pay for the surgery I need?

I would think if you need corrective surgery they would have to pay

Hi jr, I too had complications with my surgery,(thought mine was the worst possible scenario till I read yours) my doc cut a blood vessel during surgery and I bled internally overnite(passed out repeatedly) and was re-admitted for blood tranfusions, but only stayed in hospital 1 day.33 days is insane! I hope you feel better!! It took me 2 weeks to even feel like standing up after that,and I definately regret having surgery at all now.

Well here I am almost 5 years later and I am trying for the sleeve. Even though I had a nightmare experience the first time with 33 days in the hospital and another 7 weeks of rehab after that just to be able to function normal. I don't regret the surgery. I initially lost about 75 pounds and then on year 2 started having issues with heartburn and other things, they took Fluid out and everytime I would have it put back, nothing worked anymore, so I have re-gained most of the weight back. I am trying to have the revision to the sleeve, I have one more doctor appointment the first part of January and then my stuff can go for approval. I am anxious and nervous about this and hopes that it gets approved. I too will be soo glad to get the band out cause I have no restriction at all even though they took out all the Fluid and gave me time to rest before trying to fill again, didn't work. My surgeon likes to do the two part procedure and take the band out, wait a few months, then do the sleeve but sometimes the insurance company will not approve the two part surgery and they have to do all of it at once. I kinda hope that is the case since I just want to be over with it and get back to loosing. I am so frustrated at this moment and am getting very nervous that it will not be approved. So everyone that has had the revision, please keep your fingers crossed for me. I am hoping that if I get approved that I will be over it all by the end of February, 2014.

Hope all has a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Wish me luck on my second journey.

Rhonda

Edited by Rhondatur357

Wow. 33 days scary. Glad you are recovering. I think I am headed this way as well. Banded 5 years ago, great results year one. Then started having bleeding ulcers, I was hpylori negative, so that was a huge surprise. Went on meds and had total unfilled, 6 months rest turned into one year rest, now having horrible reflux and right sided abd pain. I had esophogram, which showed band in good position, now I have to wait two weeks for upper endoscopy. This feels the same as last time, maybe worse. My surgeon says that I would most likely be a good revision candidate, but I just want the nausea and reflux to go away permanently.