Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi my name is Jessica I am scheduled to have surgery March 2nd, Dr. Les Miles is my surgeon(Birmingham) I have been at this for a year now from the first seminar in Feb. 2008, it took me that long to get everything my ins. required including the 6 month supervised diet, but thanks to the dedicationof the office staff I was approved on the first try just 2 weeks after it was submitted. I would love some advise on anything you think I need to know, and I would love to meet others who have had there surgery with Dr. Miles, but please I like chatting with anybodey no matter where you are from. God Bless...Jess

Hello! I also had my surgury in Birmingham. Dr. Schmitt did my surgury. He is in with Dr. Miles. My husband saw Dr. Miles back in Jan. because he was on call. He is real nice. Also my cousin used Miles for her surgury and she loves him. Good luck to you!

Hello Jessica and everyone from Alabama. Dr. Miles will be doing my surgery as well. I have been trying to get everything together for my insurance. Kat has been working on it at Dr. Miles' office but it is going very very slow. I am a bit discouraged. I am acutally scheduled for March 24th because she told me that my insurance will probably not pay. Then about a week later she said that she could try to submit it. That was the last thing I heard from her and that was on the 18th. I emailed her giving her all the details and fax numbers etc. Still waiting to hear from her. I am a bit disappointed by it all and confused. But on a much happier note, I am thrilled that you were approved!!! You are having your surgery the day before my birthday. I will definately keep you in my prayers especially on that day. I can't wait to hear how it goes so keep me posted.

If I was you I would call Dr. Miles office. Stay on them. That is what I did. Also you could call your insurance company and will tell you if you will be approved or not. I hope you do. Let us know!

I know your frustration, it took me one year to get mine scheduled. I started in Feb. 08 with the seminar, then office visit in March, then support group, sleep apnea dr. my blood work at pcp showed elevated tryglicerides, had to wait until the end of April to get those down, then I started my 6month dr. supervised diet, I has a sleep test in July. When Sept. got here I thought I was ready and then found out that I went two times in April one at the beginning and one at the end, so March till May did not count, so I went till Dec. then went to see the nutritionist on Dec. 31,in the meantime Kat was really working hard to help me get everything, I had to find documented weight from drs. for the previous three years, I had not had ins. during that time so it was tuff, but I finally found what I needed, Kat submitted my file at the end of Jan. and about two weeks later she called and said I was approved. I still have the nutriton group class and my pre-registration and surgeon visit with Dr. Miles tomorrow. So don't give up I was a nervous wreck, but it was worth getting all the info together to get approved the first time, I had three chances so maybe if it dosn't work the first time you can find out what you need and get everything then and refile. Like I said I did not hear from her for two weeks, she called me the morning the ins. contacted her, so it will rob. take the ins. a little while to decide. I hope you get happy birthday news, you are scheduled on my wedding anniversary. Love and Blessings...Jess

I know your frustration, it took me one year to get mine scheduled. I started in Feb. 08 with the seminar, then office visit in March, then support group, sleep apnea dr. my blood work at pcp showed elevated tryglicerides, had to wait until the end of April to get those down, then I started my 6month dr. supervised diet, I has a sleep test in July. When Sept. got here I thought I was ready and then found out that I went two times in April one at the beginning and one at the end, so March till May did not count, so I went till Dec. then went to see the nutritionist on Dec. 31,in the meantime Kat was really working hard to help me get everything, I had to find documented weight from drs. for the previous three years, I had not had ins. during that time so it was tuff, but I finally found what I needed, Kat submitted my file at the end of Jan. and about two weeks later she called and said I was approved. I still have the nutriton group class and my pre-registration and surgeon visit with Dr. Miles tomorrow. So don't give up I was a nervous wreck, but it was worth getting all the info together to get approved the first time, I had three chances so maybe if it dosn't work the first time you can find out what you need and get everything then and refile. Like I said I did not hear from her for two weeks, she called me the morning the ins. contacted her, so it will rob. take the ins. a little while to decide. I hope you get happy birthday news, you are scheduled on my wedding anniversary. Love and Blessings...Jess

About the twice in April visit, I had thought that I had went in May too, because the dr. was counting the visits for me, but I had went twice in April, sorry I confuse myself alot, hehe.

Well after losing sleep over it and thinking about it constantly, I have decided to go the private pay route. It will save me from going nuts and I will claim the medical expenses on my taxes. I won't get it all back but I will get a nice chunk. What kind of pre op diet does Schmitt and Miles have you do?

All Dr. Schmitt had me do is the day before surgury I was on liquids and nothing to eat or drink after midnight. Good luck to you!

I don't know if it is an absolute requirement, but the nutrionist Ashley Crockett had told me when I saw her in Dec. that a week before surgery they like for you to start a liguid diet, that includes yougurt, light cream Soups, Protein Shakes, sugar free Jello, sf popsicles, sf Carnation instant breakfast...etc. and at the nutrition class yesterday they recomended two weeks ahead and you can have one regular meal a day the first week. This is to help shrink the liver so it won't be in the way and run the posibility of being injured during surgery. The day before surgery it is Clear Liquids and a bowel prep. I found out yesterday during pre-registering that my ins. requires me to stay over night, so blah:tongue2: I really just wanted to come back home to rest. Hope today finds everyone in great spirits. TTYL and God Bless...Jess