Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-op care question

Hi All

I have a questions regarding how much care I'm going to need post op. My mother was supposed to come to NY for my surgery (I live here and she doesn't) but my grandfather has been ill and she's been in the hospital with him and cannot miss more work to come here for me. I was planning on going back to my apartment after my surgery but I will be there alone all day and can't figure out if that's a stupid idea. My roommate will be home in the evening and will help me with anything I need but I don't know if that's enough. I do have the option of moving in with a family friend in the suburbs but really would prefer to recover in my own home and in my own bed. Any thoughts? Will I be ok on my own during the day? I've never had surgery before and really don't know!

Thanks

Edited by ait
grammar fix

yes you will be fine by yourself until your roommate comes home. just make sure you have all the things you need close to you before your roommate goes to work/school.

thanks for the reply. so i'll be mobile enough to go get a drink or something, right?

Hi:

You'll probably want to make sure you get your pain prescription filled before you go into the hospital and make sure you have a few beverages (non-carbonated) and your pain medication ready near your bedside. You may want to pack up a small cooler with your beverages and put it near your bed before you go into the hospital.

Some doctors don't want you to be alone in the first 24 hours after surgery. I felt okay, but you may not notice if you are having an issue, so please be careful.

Best wishes to you. I love my band.

Sue

Edited by Sue Magoo
forgot something.

You can handle things by yourself during the day, BUT you should maybe have your roommate help you out of the bed before he/she leaves for work if you are having a lot of pain. I could not get up from a lying down position by myself for about 3-4 days. That way, you can sit in a chair/recliner or whatever during the day.

You got some good advice. I will say that they most likely will NOT release you unless it is in to another's care; they won't let you drive and may or may not let you take a cab. Call to make sure.

The afternoon of the surgery my husband was home with me....I enjoyed the attention but would've been fine alone. By the next day he was long gone to work when I got up etc. I slept in my bed the first night and got up fine BUT I took it very slowly, used a pillow to brace my torso (that is a great trick...use it!) and I have a 4-poster bed...that poster by my head got used for me to help position myself. To be honest though had I been alone, i could've rolled out of bed onto my knees (into a kneeling position) then gotten up that way. Hope that doesn't sound dramatic...just letting you know it's do-able. I was determined to sleep in my bed from the start.

I agree to make sure you have your prescription on hand from the start, and have easy access to your Water. I wouldn't want to face an upstairs/downstairs thing, but same floor should be fine. Also please realize that the idea that you SHOULD rest is wrong, to a point. You did have major surgery and you aren't ready for a marathon; but you need to walk...getting up every hour and moving around a little is good. You also need to breathe deeply...if you feel bad take your pain meds, of course. I found I was good with tylenol and it didn't knock me out. The sooner you act like you're normal, the sooner it will be true. Walking does miracles for pain, gas, circulation, and healing. And by walking I don't mean to head to the track and do a few miles, I mean getting up and going for your own Water, to your bathroom, around your apt., etc.

I had an easy fast recovery. I know pain is different...but if you're at all like me (not bad for a 53 year old fat chick!) then being alone won't bother you at all. Enjoy watching some dvds or reading or whatever, enjoy the time to yourself!

Thanks so much everyone for the replies.

I do have someone meeting me at the hospital who will bring me to my apartment, so that is taken care of. I was going to try and maybe work again on Thursday, is that totally crazy after a Monday surgery?

Working that soon really depends on a lot of things...like what you do and how fast you recover. I think though honestly you should take the week. You'll feel better and do a better job. I had my surgery friday and had tues afternoon classes but I had that next day off and was really greatful for that! You'll be on liquids, recovering from surgery...and you will get tired way more easily than you're used to! You really need to take the week! If your job runs over the weekend you might be ready by Saturday...but take a week and go back early if you recover really fast!

Hmmm ok I think I'll play it by ear. I'm an accountant so that's a desk job, but it is tax season so I kind of feel like if I can manage to work then I should. If I'm not up to it on Thursday and Friday then I'll call in sick.

Ok just wanted to tell you I was a bookkeeper for 20+ years and am pretty darn good at math. The Tuesday I went back to class? (I"m a nursing student now...)

I badly failed a math test (for calculating drugs). I got every answer correct but didn't round properly (and I knew exactly what to do and how to do it) My teacher asked me to review everything the next week...I told her exactly what she'd told the class to do, and explained the rules of rounding to her...(how many tenths, etc).

She said...then why didn't you DO that? I calculated everything to the correct place, then wrote the answer wrong on the answer line. Why did I do that? She said (and she's been a nurse forever) You were probably still a little confused that soon post op.

Just warning you...as an accountant....you may think you're alert but be totally wrong. I've never failed a math quiz since then LOL and hadn't ever failed one before (100 was my average grade! LOL) but that one, well...

So honestly take off. Go back early if you feel like it. I know it's tax season but you know doing it right the first time is WAY easier than trying to go back and fix it later! :)

wow. ok. you make a very convincing argument....

i probably will take off. and you're right, it is way more efficient to do everything right the first time then to try to go fix mistakes (like i'm doing right now fixing my staff's mistakes at 11:30 pm on a saturday night at the office)

I feel your pain!

I honestly would've been scared to death if "normal" I had done such a thing. And I felt WONDERFUL! I was happy to have the band, not TOO hungry, not in pain (hadn't taken anything but tylenol for 2 days) etc...but since nothing like that has ever happened to me before, or since...I guess my teacher was right.

It probably wouldn't happen to you...but if it did?

Could be the impact lingers a bit in the math center or some such. Who knows?

Good luck to you! I hope you LOVE your band, and have a great surgery and quick recovery! :)

I had surgery on Wed and went back to work the following Tues. I also have a desk job and only worked part of the day before I felt fatigued...

I know it can be different for everyone, but my recovery was awesome. I had to stay the first night because of insurance, but I was up and doing laps around the floor later in the day after surgery. But the lady I shared the room with barely got out of bed unless the nurses prodded her. It actually felt better for me to get up and walk than to lay down too long. By the time I went home the next day, the only problem I had was the gas pain. I hope you have an easy time of it...don't rush yourself and you should be fine. Also, keep reading this board...you'll get so much great information. Good luck!! :)

I had surgery on a Thursday and went back to work on Tuesday only because I had Monday off. I was sore but did OK. I guess it depends on how much discomfort you can tolerate and how much lifting you have to do. That will be restricted for awhile.