Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After looking closely at the label on the Centrum Silver chewables there isn't any Iron in it!

The only other source of Iron (at the moment) that I can find is in liquid form that he can take is the "Geritol Liquid". He's only taken one teaspoon so far, but is really freaking out because it does have some alcohol in it. I'm saying that with such a small dose (1 tsp.) that it isn't enough to matter as long as he is getting his iron. Am I wrong?:)

My question is two fold I guess.

#1. How much Iron should a grown man have per day?

#2. How do you get your Iron?

He had his band done yesterday.

I take Walgreen's brand of Centrum chewables, High Potency A thru Z, and they have 100% daily value of Iron (18 mg). That's surprising the Centrum Silver doesn't have any iron. I added a one small iron supplement because I was feeling sluggish. I got them at the Vitamin Shoppe. They're smaller than a Sudafed tab, and have 39% daily value for iron in one tab, and you can take three a day (I take one). The brand is Floradix Iron + Herb Tablets.

hi my nutritionist recomend flintstones Vitamins with Iron or flintstone complete.twice a day also viactiv chews . i take the chewable vitamins.i know they are for kids but they have iron.

I started to get those (the Flintstones). More than likely I will when it is both of us having to take them. I'm hoping that I'm 3 weeks away from getting mine done. IF not then I'm going to BUST!

I'll look at our local walgreens too to see what they have.

Thanks for the replies!

Check out Bariatric Advantage - Nutritional supplements, Vitamins, Proteins, and Help for Gastric Bypass, Distal, Lap Band, Realize, Stomaphyx and Duodenal Switch Surgery Patients

They have incredible people working there who can tell you everything you are wondering about with Iron and other things you should be taking. It's for patients, so i know it's all either chewable or drinkable. The iron is great tasting too and not smelly like alot of iron! They come to alot of the support groups we have in California.

Good luck!

I have a crazy Vitamin regiment, because my lab work comes back with low levels. I take so many different Vitamins, Multi-Vitamin, B1, B12, D3, Iron, and calcuim chews.

The Iron tablet I take is 65 mg once a day.

Hum.... I hadn't thought of it that way. We are both OVER 50. :) He's 56 and I'm 54. So maybe that isn't such a big concern then after all.

I will go ahead and Monday get in touch with the office and see what they reccomend for us. But he was driving me crazy about.... THIS DOESN'T HAVE Iron in it!

Lord help me... If I survive the next couple weeks it will be a miracle.

There is one thing about it. IF there was anyone on this earth that will follow the doctors directions to the letter it will be him. He will drive me crazy :wink2: in the process... but he will be a model patient! :)

I buy chewable Iron from the Vitamin Shoppe! They have Vitamin C in them for batter absorbtion!

My mother (RNY not band so some malabsorptive issues) takes a liquid Multivitamin she gets at the health food store (don't remember which brand), which does have Iron, as well as B-12 shots. She used liquids instead of chewables because she had been neglecting her Vitamins until she had a complication from her RNY (ulcerated stoma, had to be stretched) and all she could hold down was liquids at the time -- she never felt the need to switch away from them.

Another person I know who has had RNY does two liquid Multivitamins and an additional liquid calcium/magnesium/potassium/zinc that she takes when she has reflux or is vomiting -- not only does it work great as an antacid but her surgeon modified the RNY to be slightly more malabsorptive than normal and she has electrolyte issues now, when she's vomiting she HAS to get electrolytes in her. She also does B12 shots and liquid B complex.

Both are very happy with their liquid reigmen and it works well for them -- although Mom doesn't have to take as much as the other person who went a more malabsorptive route. One of Mom's major complaints, hair loss, stopped when she got serious about her Vitamins and took them daily.

Are liquid vitamins contraindicated in lap-band patients, or is it just that they are more expensive and not as needed as they are in patients who have had WLS that employs malabsorption?

not as needed as they are in patients who have had WLS that employs malabsorption?

This is true. RnY patients usually have way more Vitamin and mineral supplement needs because of the malabsorbtion.