Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know this will vary...

we are trying to figure out my husband's schedule, along with care for our 2 little ones while i'm recovering.

My Dr. told me i could pick up the baby, but not the 2 year old.

To be safe, i would rather not have to pick up either until i'm sure i'm healed. (he weighs about 19-20 pounds)

my question is, how long should i have help with the little ones?

they will go to my mom's the first week, but i know i'll be crazy with them being gone that long (she lives 2 1/2 hours away and she can't stay here that long. she has other commitments too.)

how long will i be tired or need medicine that would make it hard to care for them?

should i prepare for help for a week? 2 weeks? more? would it be ok, as long as i had help at home with them? should i take an entire 2 weeks to rest and heal?

my husband works rotating shifts and the week he is on midnights is the week the littles would be coming home. that leaves me to deal with them alone if they wake at night, and the entire time during the day while hubby sleeps. would that be too much for the 2nd week?

i want to be prepared with what to expect...

they could always come home early if i'm feeling fine. i just don't know how far out from surgery to have plans for their care. :eek:

It IS really individual and I don't think we can give you the answers you need! :eek: I am 54, way fat, and had my surgery on Friday. By that next tuesday I was essentially back to "normal" for me (not as active as your normal, though!) You may be one of the unlucky ones that has severe pain, you may be like me and just use tylenol for a day or two and then not need it any more.

May I suggest planning on 2 weeks? That way if you NEED the help it will be in place. If you don't, as you say, you can always step in and take back over. Wanting the kiddos back can truthfully aid in your recovery (part of it is mental) . Good luck to you! :lol:

I have 3 kiddos myself. Ages 6, 2, and 1. I know the feeling of wondering who is going to do the highchair lifts, bathing, bedtime, boo-boos, ect. My DH works from home, so it has been great to have him here.

With that being said, my doctor, and it does change with your surgeon, said 2 weeks no lifting over 10 pounds. Period. No grocery bags, weights, laundry hampers, anything.

I would check with your doctor and ask what the minimum time is, and if you feel ok at that time then go for it. If he says 2 weeks and at that time it hurts to do any lifting I would still hold off.

As for pain meds. I was off mine all together by day 5. I think that day 4 and 5 I just took them at bedtime to help with port pain while I was getting settled.

I have three children (3.5, 3, and 1.5) and I was waaay worried about this, as well. I will tell you what happened with me (b/c it does vary): I had surgery on a Thursday...my mom came on Wednesday and was in charge of me and my hospital needs. My husband was in charge of the kids on Thursday and Friday. I came home on Friday and didn't lift/hold the littlest child until Saturday afternoon. I didn't lift her, but would hold her while standing for a short time. (My doctor ok'd lifting or holding very minimally for her; she is approx 21 lbs) I went of the Percocet (:tt2:) on Saturday night so I would be able to drive on Monday. On Monday, I was able to take the two oldest to preschool. For my littlest, I planned activities with friends so that someone could help with getting her in the van. I did that until about a week out and then I was generally doing everything for all of the kids. (I did enlist help when possible, but mostly did it myself) My youngest does walk, is potty trained and is pretty independent, so I only had to pick her up to get on the potty or into the crib. I am now officially three weeks out and feel great! I guess it is up to your doctor and your comfort level...Good luck!!

Ok, I have 16 month old twins, and a 4 year old boy.

The Dr. told me not to pick any of them up for 2 weeks.

I didn't. Even though I was feeling ok, by the 4-5 day, I waited until my 2 week check up to do anything.

However I would hold all of them seperately for a short time, my mom or husband would pick them up and such, but I would hold them.

At two weeks I was picking up both babies, although he said one at a time, but I was not able to pick up my oldest. Which he knew mommys tummy was getting well.

My mom went through all the hospital stuff, hubby stayed with the kiddos. Then, mom came over during the day, while hubby worked.

At two weeks, I was ready to have my kids and house back!

Good luck! it can be trying, but it will all be fine. I am 2 months out of surgery, getting ready for my second fill.:tt2:

Thanks to all the replies! i actually have FOUR boys, but the other 2 are much older (16 & 10) and can do for themselves. They can actually help with the things like lifting the little ones into their beds and the youngest into the highchair or even carseat if i can't pick them up after i'm given the ok to drive.

i know after my 2 little ones (i had emergency sections for the last 2) i waaaay over did it and paid for it! I don't want to even chance it with this...i don't want ANYTHING to go wrong!!

for my sections, i stopped pain meds in the hospital because they were making me so loopy and i couldn't even complete a sentance that made sense. i hated that feeling.

Kristi, you are 3 weeks out and have lost 37 pounds? WOW!!! you are an inspiration! i pray i do that well!

thanks for all the advice, i hope my recovery is quick and easy and i'm as successful as all of you!!

Took me 4 days to be able to manage all the details of my then 2 and 4 year olds. I was tired but I could manage just fine. I got down on the floor to change diapers and give hugs.

Good luck... I'd say take the help...as much as offered. You'll probably be fine by day 5 but you should really focus and take the time for yourself (walks, planning meals, etc)

Here is how I did it.... I have a 2 1/2 year old boy (38lbs) and a 13 month old daughter (24lbs)... my mother in law flew in the day before my surgery and was going to be with the kids while hubby and I were at the surgery center.

She stayed in town 6 days and then it was back to normal.

I didn't do anything crazy like carrying the kids up and down the stairs and my daughter is walking so really I only had to lift her out of her crib in the morning and up and down from her highchair. I really concentraited on using my arms or my legs only... *my* doc said I could probably lift my daughter right from the beginning without problem, but I think the 6 days 'off' were exactly what I needed to heal.

Best of luck to you!!!