Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 pizzas and a drink. How should I feel?

Hello, I am 5 weeks post op and have never had a fill. I have never had a problem feeling full either. I am wondering if my band slipped or something is wrong. Tonight I had a large slice of pizza and 30 minutes later I had another. I was thirsty right after the 2nd slice and over 5 minutes drank OZ ice tea. No problem. I defiantly don't want to eat anymore but I am certainly not sick or excruciatingly full. I actually feel quite normal. I had bronchitis right after surgery and already have a hernia by my port. I would guess from coughing. Is my sensation after 2 slices and a drink over 35 minutes normal with no fill or is something wrong and my band not working? -Melissa:unsure:

You probably don't have much restriction yet since you didn't have a fill. Everyone is different, but I don't think its band slippage or you cause any damage, you just lack restriction. Always ask your doctor to make sure, just my .o2

As already mentioned everyone is different. Not until my third fill did I feel REAL restriction. In my second week I ate a whole heap of creamy Pasta and a T-Bone steak with no problems whatsoever. I was really worried but I just got back on the horse, which is all you can do. Just monitor how you feel and always check in with your surgeon if anything persists and you're really worried - you will get there just keep on looking forwards! All the best!

Thank you, I feel more confident already. I did tell my doc that I haven't felt full and I'll tell him again next week. I cant tell him what I ate because I'm not suppose to eat starches yet or drink with food.< /p>

As already stated by others you probably will not feel the benefits of the band until you start getting some restriction from the fills. One word of caution though -- it is importamt to remember that the band is a "tool" -- inorder for you to see the positive and life long effects that the band can provide you need to learn to make good choices about the foods that you choose. Foods such as pizza were probably not a good choice before banding and will definitely be problematic once you start getting fills and feeling restrictions. I was banded in 09/06. I am about 14# from my goal weight and have lost 186# so far. Believe me when I say that it has been a lot of work...and learning to make better choices in the foods that I chose to eat was difficult too. My life has changed for the better --I am so happy to be able to take long walks again and to really enjoy my health. Be patient as you continue to work through the early stages of your journey---you will be fine and I am sure will do well. Happiness and health. -- P

Thank you, Awesome weight loss! You are right, I need to work on my choices. I have been eating healthier this month and 1/2 and I have lost 13#. I am totally satisfied with that. I know this is not just relying on the band. The way I look at it is that it is my job to loose the weight and my doc and the bands job to make sure I don't gain it back. What do you think? Is that a realistic way to view this weight loss journey?

You need to tell your doctor what you did; he needs to be informed so he can decide if you need to be tested or if it is just lack of restriction. He's not your mommy LOL so if he fusses he can just get over it; he's your doctor and needs the truth. Odds are it'll be ok; but let him know.

Good response...this is a realistic way to look at your future successes. Again, my best wishes to you for continued successes....13# is awesome...and the best part is that you will NEVER have to see those pounds again. Take care...Peggy

As already stated by others you probably will not feel the benefits of the band until you start getting some restriction from the fills. One word of caution though -- it is importamt to remember that the band is a "tool" -- inorder for you to see the positive and life long effects that the band can provide you need to learn to make good choices about the foods that you choose. Foods such as pizza were probably not a good choice before banding and will definitely be problematic once you start getting fills and feeling restrictions. I was banded in 09/06. I am about 14# from my goal weight and have lost 186# so far. Believe me when I say that it has been a lot of work...and learning to make better choices in the foods that I chose to eat was difficult too. My life has changed for the better --I am so happy to be able to take long walks again and to really enjoy my health. Be patient as you continue to work through the early stages of your journey---you will be fine and I am sure will do well. Happiness and health. -- P

Your success is so insipring. I was banded in November and I'm starting to worry as it's becoming harder and harder to shed the pounds. Im always looking from fellow banders, Any words of advice for a newbie?

Hi Heather. I don't know if I am the best to give advice. But since you asked...here goes. My doctor has said that my success rate is not what he typically sees. We have spent some time discussing this together and what has worked for me is the following:

1. I am very vocal in the fact that I view my band is a tool...by itself I will not find the success that I want...life long health...I have had to learn to make good choices in the foods that I eat

2. I schedule routine appointments with my doctor -- before I leave his office from one visit I ALWAYS schedule my next one -- usually 5-6 weeks later. This has helped me because I KNOW that I am going to have to get back on the scale and then talk with the doctor about how I am doing -- accountability.

3. I weigh myself every morning. The scale helps me to set some mental goals for myself for the day.

4. If you think you might need a fill you probably do.

5. And, finally, find yourself a good support system. I have made good friends with several people who have also been banded. We are able to share both the successes and also the bad days.

I hope this has helped a little. Don't worry if things slow down a bit -- you may need to start drinking more Water, or need a fill. Remember that every pound you lose represents weight that you NEVER have to see again. Happiness and health to you, Heather. Enjoy your journey. Peggy