Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When to exercise

Hi everyone- I'm new to the group and have my surgery scheduled for 8/19- I would like to know when those of you who exercise regulary started after surgery? I know you need to recover, but I'm used to doing interval training with nautilus 2-3 times a week. I don't want to totally get out of that mode if I don't have to... but I think the weights might be a problem. Any advice?

HI! I have not been banded yet but a lady I know has been. We are going to the same surgeon and he said for six weeks nothing heavier than a gallon of milk. I hope this helps. Oh yeah looks like we are in the August bandsters club. I am scheduled for August 29th.

Thanks, that was quick. Six weeks must be the magic number- it was the same after my C-section. Are you as nervous and excited as I am?

I was told not to exercise until the 6 weeks post op..for 2 reasons, 1. to make sure Iam healed and that band has anchored in and my port incision has a chance to build up scar tissue to avoid a flip

2. To make sure I was on solids and have enough calories to work out. They did not want me working out while on liquids.

You have the rest of your life to exercise, get healed first.

I suppose it all depends on what you mean by excersizing, doesn't it. I was back to doing crunches my 2nd week, and I started a horseback riding class my 2nd week, although I didn't actually get on a horse until the 3rd week. Something about needing to have an emergency D&C kept me off the horse the 2nd week.

Walking, walking, walking the second week. And of course, lifting my ever heavy bookbag....

quote:

Are you as nervous and excited as I am?

Yes I am! I am just waiting for all the paperwork but we have scheduled a date! This site has been very helpful so I know that I will have support when I get it done. I have been reading alot of the posts on here and they seem to cover about everything. My doctor told me to start walking at least 15 minutes everyday until the day of surgery. I am pretty sedentary other than work I am a couch potato. Great sucess to you and all of us who are going to be " bandits" this month.<!-- / message -->

I was able to get back on my treadmill for a good 30 min brisk walk six days after surgery but dr said NO lifting. Walking okay. Running no. Elliptical okay. Weights no.

Ask your dr about your specific exercises and amount of weight you use and you'll get the straight scoop.