Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Therapist thinks I need more therapy??

Had a evaluation today and doc thinks I need more therapy. She thinks that after having lap band that I will use other things other than food as a comfort....NOT!! My husband and all of my family laughed when I told them. I have cradentials to back me up when I say I do not have an eating disorder. I do not do drugs or drink. I told her I will not go further with therapy. Does anyone think my insurance (BCBS of MN) will deny me? I am pre-diabetic, high blood pressure, stess incontenance.

HELP!!

Ack, why does everyone think that being fat means you're hiding some terrible personality disorder or mental illness?

I was fat coz I liked sitting on the couch eating. It was very relaxing when you're spending most of your days at home with screaming toddlers and babies. Sugar is very soothing. And then I got fatter coz the weight didnt agree with my knees, my back or my hips and hauling my big arse round the block for a jog didnt feel very good - so I sat more. And so on.

I'm so glad we dont do the whole therapy/pscyhologist thing as a part of banding here. Studies from Monash University showed it to be a huge waste of time and not at all indicative of how successful a person can be with a band.

Is it possible to not have her report submitted. Why can't you go to another therapist, even if you have to pay out of pocket. Tell the surgeon which report to submit. You could just say you disagree with the first therapist and had a second opinion done. This time be prepared to maybe answer the questions differently. I'm sure the surgeon will want to submit the report that has a better chance of getting an approval. Lets face it he wants to get you approved so he can get paid for the surgery. There are too many hoops to jump through to get an approval I would not want this report to cause a denial. I also would not tell the second therapist what occurred the first time. They don't even have to know you went through this. Just say you are paying out of pocket because your ins will not cover it. I wonder if you are paying the bill yourself if they are more likely to give you what you want. It's like "you" hired them not the ins company.

Ahhhh, but more therapy means more money for that therapist.

Follow the money trail and it will answer most questions in life.

I'm curious who recommended your therapist? My therapist was referred directly by the surgeon. They work hand in hand and the therapist knows exactly what the insurance company is looking for to get an approval.