Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Sugar Free?

I understand about empty calories, but is there any other reason that one should pursue sugar free Jello and drinks?

I am a big coffee and tea drinker - both without any added sweetener. I also drink lots of Water. Those are where I get the bulk of my liquids.

If I am going to eat a popsicle, Jello or flavored beverage I would prefer not to have one that is sugar free. I hate artificial sweeteners and certain ones give me nasty headaches. I have been trying today for my pre-op purge and have made it with tons of tea, broth and Water.

I realize that I am going to have to eat this way for 2 weeks post surgery and would like to avoid artificial sweeteners. Any thoughts?

I know what you are saying. It's really really important to follow the plan that your doctor gave you. Mostly since you are having to have a lot of Jello and popsicles when you are per/post op. Try your best to stick it out until after your surgery and then you can do sugar in moderation. Some people like Splenda...it makes me feel really sick. Sweet n low gives me a horrible headache...Equal and stevia are the ony ones that don't bother me...good luck :thumbup:

I dont eat artificial sweeteners. I've learned to tame my sweet tooth to some degree - and I gave up sugar in coffee and tea at 17, and it was pretty easy, it took 2 weeks.

Other than that, I keep sugary items to a minimum, but if I'm going to have a treat, I eat the real thing.

As far as yogurt and stuff like that - well I dont eat Jello, pudding or Desserts ever anyway, and things like yogurt, I'd eat greek yogurt with some fruit, not sweetened yogurt. I never drink soda ever anyhow, so I dont have a problem with that.

You can train your tastebuds away from overtly sweet foods pretty easily - the sugar in things like baked Beans or canned tomatoes or whatever is a bit harder to avoid and you have to read labels.

I dont believe sugar is the evil people think it is, its only problematic in the humungous quantities that people consume in all their processed foods and drinks.

Thankfully, I don't have to have sugar with coffee of tea so that is good.

I have noticed that the Protein waters, etc. all are so nasty overly sweet tasting. They make me want to gag and I know that is bad for me. So, if on occasion I want to eat a treat (like a regular jello) it won't make me physically ill to eat it? That is my main concern. I have never tried stevia - that is a natural sweetener isn't it? I will do some research on that.

I am officially on my post surgery diet now (20 hours since I was sliced and diced) and really don't find myself wanting anything other than Water. I have been taking lots of small sips and doing OK. I am a bit ouchy and was nauseous for a while after I got out of surgery yesterday it all seems good now.

I think I may try to eat some chicken broth this afternoon. I got some free range organic stuff that tastes pretty awesome (for chicken broth). My hubby says that I am a bit of a food snob and he is laughing at me for all of my organic broths, teas, coffee, etc. I could not find organic Jello. I am guessing that one does not exist.:blushing: I figure that if I only get to put a little bit of food (liquid right now) in, it might as well be of the highest quality I can find.