Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

question for at goal re: plateaus

I have a question for the at goal folks regarding any plateaus or walls you may have hit on your journey.

Did you have a plateau?

How long was it?

How did you break it?

How many pounds did you lose before hitting the wall?

How many pounds after?

Sorry for the essay format... :cursing: I guess I had more than one question...

I've hit a wall, and it's been that way for over 6 months. I'm still struggling, and haven't given up - but it's hard. I'm hoping to get words of comfort here. :thumbup:

I am 15 pounds from my goal, but my doc considers me at goal. I hit a plateau about 5 months ago. Gained and lost the same 2-3 pounds over and over.

I pretty much made it all the way to 76 pounds lost before hitting the wall. Between the holidays and being too tight, I was a mess.

Last week I joined WW. Lost 3.2 pounds the first week! I also started the Couch to 5K and believe that has helped. I'm on week 3 this week.

Best of luck to you.

Same as for Suzanne, goal for me is essentially a big plateau, lol. I just stopped losing here, and ideally I would have liked to have stopped losing in another 5kgs time. No matter what I do, my weight stays absolutely steady, never goes up, never goes down.

Throughout my journey, I never lost predictably every week. Apart from the first 3 months I would go a couple of weeks without losing and suddenly lose 5lb. I simply refuse to define not losing for a couple of weeks as a plateau, its a normal part of the way our bodies lose weight.

Now, as to my current 18 month long plateau, I decided to try to break it by really mixing up the exercise and increasing the intensity. I didnt lose any weight but I did lose that annoying half a dress size that was giving me the muffin top. I think to get rid of the rest of the little pockets of fat I have, I'm now a great candidate for Lipo. I dont want to tighten my band at this point, I dont want to resort to unhealthy fad dieting (although I'm thinking about Weight Watchers too), and I really cant reasonably do more than six or seven HARD hour long execises sessions a week. So truly, I think that's what I will do when I can afford it.

Edited by Jachut

Jacqui, if you opt for Lipo, would you also need a tt? I never thought I'd say I was thinking about it, because I kind of feel like you do about it, if I'm just a little wrinkly, I can live with that.

Unfortunately, as time goes by, I'm noticing a serious bannana roll on my back that is showing through in my clothes and the extra skin on my legs gets pushed into my hips to give the appearance of saddlebags (which I don't have).

The risk, price, and pain of PS have kept me from wanting to look into it, but the closer I get to goal, the more I think about it.

Do you have any issues other than your skin not being as tight as you would like?

It's funny I came into this forum wondering exactly the same thing.

After losing an average of 3kgs (about 7lbs) consistently every month, this month my weight loss has slowed substantially. Okay for the first two weeks after my last fill, I didn't exercise quite as hard (my Dr didn't want me to lose much more before my PS) but I was still losing. Not much but still, it was a loss.

Then about a week ago, I decided that I actually really did want to get to goal at least, just that last measly kilo so I can at least claim it as a milestone. So this week I've gone back exercising hard and I've been watching what I eat extra carefully.

And all this week, I've gained. Again, not much, but enough so that on average, all I've lost this month is just over a kg (about 2.5lbs).

So I guess I'm wondering, is this normal as you get slower to a normal BMI? Does your weight loss slow?

Yup.

And whilst I lost weight easily just by cutting portions, eating sensibly and cutting out junk, that doesnt work for me now EVEN with exercise measures as double sessions - such as a 10km run in the morning and a boot camp DVD with my son in the afternoon. Even with regular strength training. I would definitely have to officially DIET (a 4 letter word) on 1200 a day to lose any weight now. I lost easily on 1500 or more prior to this.

then it was near enough is good enough, now it would take sustained, perfect eating behaviour.

Oh bugger.

Oh well, I guess I couldn't expect to keeping losing 3 kgs a month forever! It had to start slowing down and eventually stopping at some stage. I hope I'm in the 'slowing down' stage and not the 'stopping' stage yet because I personally just want to get to the goal my Dr set me. It's just over a kilo away, so close and yet it feels so damned far right now!!

I mean, it's one measly kilo! I feel like everytime I get on the scales, it's taunting me! Lol! I've lost 27 kgs so far, what's ONE lousy kilo????