Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Putting myself first....

Hello! This is my first time on this site . I am a 26 year old mother of three and a military wife. I have always been a giver and always put everyone else first. I am trying to change that now. It's time that I start taking care of myself and I know this, it's just really hard for me to do. It is really hard for me to admit that I weigh 235 lbs. I hate the way that I look and feel horrible about myself. My husband is a fitness leader at work and I am embarassed for people from his work to see me. I am a nurse and am embarassed b/c I am totally a hypacrite to tell people to live a healthy lifestyle. I know something needs to be done and I am considering the lap band. My insurance has approved the consultation, all thats left for me to do is to make the appointment. One of the biggest fears I have is for me to have a horrific complication and not making it through the surgery. What would my children do? My husband? A horrible thing to think about! I know that lap band is 10X safer than gastric bypass but I am still afraid. I'm also afraid of failing. What if I go through all of this for nothing? I have never been honest about my weight and this is very hard for me to write to complete strangers but I know that I need support and I feel that I am in the right place. I need a place that I can write and be completely honest with myself and others, a place that I don't have to hide.

Please continue to think of yourself first. I was just like you and my family always came first. After we raised our family, we raised a grandchild. I wouldn't change a thing for the world, except... I would have the band sooner. I was banded on July 8, 2008. I am 63 years old and have lost 55 lbs. I love it. My children and grandchildren would have had a grandmother that could play ball or anything else they wanted me to do. I was always there to cheer them on but I could have played with them. You have to make your own decision, but I would never go back to being a cheerleader, if I had the chance to play. Hang in there.

Jazie

Edited by jazie
none

Welcome! I am also a military wife and had lap band done last summer. I have had a few bumps along the way, but still think this was the best thing I have EVER done for myself. Sure, I worried about the what if's, but I also worried about the what if's if I didn't get it done.

You have to be ready, but you'll definitely find support here!

Hello, I am a Marine wife, and a mother of three as well. I am 34 years old and my only regret about having the band is that I did not do it sooner! I was banded on Nov 20th and I have lost 30 lbs since. I still have a ways to go, but I feel fabulous! Best of luck to you, and I totally understand EVERYTHING you are going through, I had ALL of the same concerns, I was terrified, but I knew I had to do something and so I just went for it. The surgery wasn't so bad, it only took a few days before I was back to my old self. I am happy for you that you are taking the first steps and I wish I had heard of this site before my surgery. Again, good luck! RT

I felt the same as you, I was terrified that something would go wrong during surgery. I almost changed my mind as they were taking me to the OR! But I'm so glad I did it! All I can say is it is normal to be scared, but you won't be sorry you did it!

Thank you for all of your support. Before making the appt. you have to attend a seminar. I've signed up for the seminar tomorrow and then I will call and make the appt.....

The Doctors office called today and told me that the class was all booked up for today. The next seminar is on March 11th and she signed me up....I will try to wait patiently......... : P