Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LapBand and chemo?

Has anyone here gone through chemotherapy with a lapband in place? I love my band and start chemo this week, maybe Weds. and hope to find someone who has gone through this with thier band intact. Thanks to anyone willing to share their experiences.

I don't have this experience, but wanted to drop into the thread and wish you the best of luck. Just remember, the most important thing is to make sure you are healthy. You can always get unfilled completely and go back later. you could also deal with a removal and get it back in later as well. I hope you have the best outcome that leaves you healthy.

Thanks for your positive thoughts! I did talk to my doctor, who will loosen the fill if I need her to. Otherwise I hope not!

I have had cancer but did not have to go through chemo. And that was all pre-band. But I wish you well on this new journey. It is very scary. I would say that you should have the band unfilled due to the risk of vomiting with chemo. I know they give very good anti-nausea drugs but I think it's better to be safe. And you need to drink a lot of fluids during chemo. And stay healthy with healthy eating that may require foods your band can't tolerate. Also, chemo can sometimes change your taste buds. So - all in all - you have enough on your plate right now without having to worry about the band. Just get it unfilled for now. You can get it filled later when you're all better. And you will be! Good luck.

Hi, I finished chemo Sept 25 2008.... I did not have the lapband yet, but I can give you an idea of what to expect. The drugs used for naseua are wonderful, and very effective. I did get a bit queezy in the beginning, but never threw up. It is very important to report symptoms asap!!!! The drs. have an arsenal of great meds for just about everything, that is not used in regular medicine. If they load you up on steroids, you may get very hungry. Most people gain weight during chemo now because of the effective medications...also steroids will add a few pounds. It is important to eat very well, especially red meat. This will help your blood and immune system. I gained 30 lbs during chemo, but the doctors expected it. I have since lost it all. I would want my band totally unfilled for chemo, if I had to do it again. I had breast cancer, and chose a bilateral mastectomy with DIEP reconstruction. It is doable....just remember this too shall pass. Best of luck and feel free to ask questions. :smile:Karen

My prayers for your health during this difficult time. Take all advice given by your Docs & please take all of your meds. I agree about the amazing meds available these days for nausea.

You now have a huge amount of folks praying for your success in all areas.

Bless you

I would also suggest an unfill, either full or partial. That way you can focus on getting healthy during this stage, taking in lots of fluids, and if you are nauseous, you aren't as much at risk for injuring the band.

I wish you the best of luck with everything. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

I also had breast cancer and as of Mar 09 I will be cancer free for 1 year, I had fantastic nausea meds, my food tasted like cardboard that was a struggle to eat I gained and lost the same 4 lbs through 16 chemo treatments. Just remember that GOD will be with you and that prayers do work, keep your chin up and never loose hope. I will pray for you good luck.

Edited by carolynfletcher
left out word

So sorry to hear this. Focus on your recovery and the chemo treatments. I would recommend an unfill, but your doctor will advise you best.

Interesting what you say Caroline because I was surprised to be reading so much about weight gain and I didn't really understand why. I just have to see how it goes. If I have to unfill, even just some, I obviously will because my ability to drink Water I understand is essential.

Chemo was one thing that my doctor brought up during my pre-op consult. He said that in 5000 lap bands they had only seen one case of "slippage" and that the patient had recently had chemo and he wondered if they weren't related. I would say it's definitely something to talk to your lap band doc about.

Interesting thought Guy. I did talk to my doctor last week though and told her what was coming and she said only that if I needed some unfill adjustment because of nausea or because I was actually throwing up, to just come by the office, which I thought was ok.

I am going to be thinking of you -- I am sure that this has to be a difficult time. I do have one great friend who went through chemo and has been in remission for nearly 20 years. I hope you will have similar results.

All the best,

Catherine