Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I VSG?

Do you think I can handle the VSG with these foods I eat? I am very picky eater.

What I will eat:

Hamburger – steak – chicken – pork chops – ham – roast – some turkey – BBQ

Breakfast type foods:

Bacon – eggs – cream of wheat – oat meal – Cereal – 2% milk – pan cakes – French toast – muffins – biscuits – jelly – sausage biscuit

Veggies

Potatoes – Corn – Green Beans – Baked Beans

Foods

Hamburger Helper – Spaghetti – Sloppy Joes – Chili with cracker nothing in it meat and beans – meat Loaf plain meat – beef stew just meat and potatoes – chicken fingers – fries – chicken noodle Soup – flap jacks – pop cornpizza – garlic breadcheese on something – Pasta – chicken Parmesan – chicken nachos plain – tacos meat and cheese hard shell or soft – sesame chicken – rice fried nothing in it – ice cream – Peanut Butter – sausage balls – cake - Mac n cheese – gravy – BBQ Sauce – apple sauce – pudding – sandwiches are meat and bread only and I mean only nothing else – sometimes ketchup -

Fruits

Grapes – Apples – Bananas – Pine Apple – Water Mellon

All Nuts

The depth of what I won’t eat:

Tomatoes – lettuce – broccoli – spinach – tuna – ANY fish or sea foodmayo – mustard – dressings – salads – pickles – plums – celery – sour cream – chicken salad – casseroles – cottage cheese – yogurt – mushrooms – onions – nothing with other stuff in it - no milk unless 2% or whole in cereal

Just about if you think of it odds are I won’t eat it unless it’s up top.

Do you think I can handle the VSG with these foods I eat? I am very picky eater.

What I will eat:

Hamburger – steak – chicken – pork chops – ham – roast – some turkey – BBQ

Breakfast type foods:

Bacon – eggs – cream of wheat – oat meal – Cereal – 2% milk – pan cakes – French toast – muffins – biscuits – jelly – sausage biscuit

Veggies

Potatoes – Corn – Green Beans – Baked Beans

Foods

Hamburger Helper – Spaghetti – Sloppy Joes – Chili with cracker nothing in it meat and beans – meat Loaf plain meat – beef stew just meat and potatoes – chicken fingers – fries – chicken noodle Soup – flap jacks – pop cornpizza – garlic breadcheese on something – Pasta – chicken Parmesan – chicken nachos plain – tacos meat and cheese hard shell or soft – sesame chicken – rice fried nothing in it – ice cream – Peanut Butter – sausage balls – cake - Mac n cheese – gravy – BBQ Sauce – apple sauce – pudding – sandwiches are meat and bread only and I mean only nothing else – sometimes ketchup -

Fruits

Grapes – Apples – Bananas – Pine Apple – Water Mellon

All Nuts

The depth of what I won’t eat:

Tomatoes – lettuce – broccoli – spinach – tuna – ANY fish or sea foodmayo – mustard – dressings – salads – pickles – plums – celery – sour cream – chicken salad – casseroles – cottage cheese – yogurt – mushrooms – onions – nothing with other stuff in it - no milk unless 2% or whole in cereal

Just about if you think of it odds are I won’t eat it unless it’s up top.

OMG, are you serious? Is this post for real?

Regardless of what surgery type you have you won't have a choice. If you want to lose weight you are going to have to adjust your food habits. You can't eat junk and white carbs and expect to lose weight.

You do not need:

Bacon

eggs

Cereal

pancakes

French toast

Bread

Muffins

Biscuits

Jelly

Sausage

Potatoes

Corn

Hamburger Helper

Pasta

Chicken fingers

Fries

Flap Jacks

pizza

Garlic bread

White rice

Sausage balls

Cake

Mac & Chz

Gravy

pudding

Whole milk... don't you see butter chunks floating in there? Gahhh

Fried rice

Ice cream

Hello? Why do you think you need WLS? 90+% of your diet is white carbs and fat.

WLS is a tool to help YOU change YOUR eating habits. It's not a tool that you can eat garbage, lose weight, and maintain a healthy BMI.

If you aren't willing to change your eating habits, you aren't going to lose weight. Period.

You have to want weight loss badly enough to do what it takes and that means overhauling your eating habits.

Edited by WASaBubbleButt

I was not quite sure how to respond to this post, myself.

I see it two ways. One is that when you are first sleeved, you are on a very low calorie diet and it's imperative that you consume a lot of Protein. At the same time, your stomach is really, really small. This means you are doing a lot of Protein supplements and, quite honestly, most of them are pretty gagworthy. But you have to suck it up and choke them down. Then, as you can consume more calories, you add in more stuff, including carbs and fats. But eating such a limited diet is going to really slow down your weight loss and possibly prevent you from getting to goal.

But the other POV is that the sleeve will stop you from eating great quantities of food and, even if you don't eat the best diet, that will be a big improvement and you will lose a fair amount of weight and have improvement in your health.

My next door neighbor had bypass and his wife tells me that he doesn't eat particularly healthily, yet he is losing weight. Now, he had this bypass 1.5 years ago and is still not at goal. But he is much, much thinner and off all his medicines except the one he takes for kidney stones. Time will tell if he can get to goal and keep it off, though.

However, WLS does change your relationship with food. Right now you seem very attached to it. To the point where it plays a much more important role in your life than it should. I could be wrong about this ... I'm not a shrink and this is just a message board so sometimes things don't come across accurately. But that's the strong impression I am getting.

Therefore, regardless of what kind of WLS you get or whether you get it at all, I recommend doing some head work. You can join Overeaters Anonymous or buy a good book such as The Food and Feelings Book or you can see a therapist or some combination of the three.

But doing the head work is important to success -- the surgery can't do it all. And you have to be willing to change as well. WLS is a BIG adjustment. You go through periods of mourning and anger and great excitement, sometimes all on the same day. If you aren't willing to change, that is going to make it that much harder.

I also think you need to talk to a surgeon who does *all* the WLS types and be *very honest* about everything regarding your food issues and see what he says. They can give you advice based on all the many patients they see and who is and is not successful with the various surgeries.

I also think you should go to some "Mens" boards and talk to the other guys about their surgeries. I think guys tend to think about this stuff differently than we do and most of the people posting outside the guy forums are women. Maybe they can comprehend where you are coming from better than we can.

Good luck, no matter what you decide to do...

But the other POV is that the sleeve will stop you from eating great quantities of food and, even if you don't eat the best diet, that will be a big improvement and you will lose a fair amount of weight and have improvement in your health.

But... when someone fills up on crap food and small quantities of that crap food, it's a fantastic way to develop malnutrition, bone loss, loss of enamel on their teeth, low Vit D, low Vb12, low Calcium, low potassium, low sodium, low everything but fat and calories.

At least when you are eating large quantities of crap food there is a little more chance of getting some amount of nutrition. It may take an entire pizza to get a day's worth of Calcium but at least along with the fat, calories, and carbs they are getting something from it.

Thing is, with these procedures you just HAVE to eat the quality food first or malnutrition WILL happen.

For that reason I strongly disagree with this line of thinking. It can be potentially quite dangerous.

I agree that if they really ate "whatever they wanted" and that what they wanted didn't change from what it was pre-op, that would be unhealthy. And I know some people like that.

However, I think most of the people who do this do get in their minimum Protein requirements. So when they talk about "eating anything they want" what they are really saying is that they are going to eat more calories and more carbs and fats than I am, rather than that they are going to eat junk all day.

For me, what I "want" has changed drastically since I had surgery. The low-carb diet had really dulled my appetite for carbs and eating low-fat makes you lose your taste for fat.

I mostly want Protein and veggies these days. So, in some ways, I eat "whatever I want" too. I just want to eat what my surgeon wants me to eat. :rose:

Which is why I told Marshall that he has to be willing to change or the surgery won't work. If he convinces himself that these are the foods he likes and this is all he will eat, then he won't be open to the change in taste that can come to you when your ghrelin is gone and you are eating healthy.

I agree that if they really ate "whatever they wanted" and that what they wanted didn't change from what it was pre-op, that would be unhealthy. And I know some people like that.

However, I think most of the people who do this do get in their minimum Protein requirements. So when they talk about "eating anything they want" what they are really saying is that they are going to eat more calories and more carbs and fats than I am, rather than that they are going to eat junk all day.

For me, what I "want" has changed drastically since I had surgery. The low-carb diet had really dulled my appetite for carbs and eating low-fat makes you lose your taste for fat.

I mostly want Protein and veggies these days. So, in some ways, I eat "whatever I want" too. I just want to eat what my surgeon wants me to eat. :rose:

Which is why I told Marshall that he has to be willing to change or the surgery won't work. If he convinces himself that these are the foods he likes and this is all he will eat, then he won't be open to the change in taste that can come to you when your ghrelin is gone and you are eating healthy.

I agree, I told him the same thing if you'll see post #2. But he is one of the few that writes out what he is not willing to eat. That has to be a factor in deciding to get WLS. If he is not willing to change his diet, (how did he word it? Here it is: "Just about if you think of it odds are I won’t eat it unless it’s up top.") This HAS to be a consideration before deciding on surgery.

He is being honest, he's providing a list of what he is willing to do and not do. I'm sure the list is more extensive than this. I'm not knocking honesty. I'm saying it has to be made very clear that not changing food choices is not going to be safer because he is thinner as you suggested, it's trading one set of serious problems for another set of very serious problems.

You can reverse many problems caused by weight, not all but many. You really can't reverse the effects of malnutrition well at all.

Go to costco and buy a case of Nutri System for Men and see how you do with that. One of my friends did it and lost quite a bit of weight. Your post tells me you are not committed to changing your lifestyle, so you are not a good candidate for any weight loss surgery.

I would be interested in knowing how much weight you need to lose.