Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The "C" word: Constipation

I had LB surgery on Nov. 24. Just this last week I had a terrible bout of Constipation - painful! I've never experienced anything like this before and I REALLY don't want to experience it again.

I have been trying to get a lot of Water down, but it is a challenge when we aren't supposed to drink for about 3 hours before/during/after a meal. I love veggies, and think I get plenty of Fiber.

So what gives? Any suggestions or tips you can give me?

I know your pain. My doctor recommended mineral oil - about a teaspoon every day until things get regular again. Then, every other day to keep things moving.

Best wishes to you. I once went 9 days, and then finally.

Hope you feel better soon.

I have the same problem from time to time. My nurse said I wasn't getting enough Fiber now that my portions have reduced. I got some fiber that you mix in your bottled Water, can't taste it and it definitely helps. I try to drink one a day.

I had LB surgery on Nov. 24. Just this last week I had a terrible bout of Constipation - painful! I've never experienced anything like this before and I REALLY don't want to experience it again.

I have been trying to get a lot of Water down, but it is a challenge when we aren't supposed to drink for about 3 hours before/during/after a meal. I love veggies, and think I get plenty of fiber.

So what gives? Any suggestions or tips you can give me?

I have never heard of being required to wait 3 hours before or after eating. Most doctors suggest 1 hour. Some people only wait 30 min before and 1 hour after. If you are waiting 3 hours, no WONDER you are constipated you NEVER get to drink fluids!:thumbup:

My doc requires no drinking 15 min before, and 15 min after eating. No drinking during, of course, and to eat within 30 minutes (not to rush, just to stop at 30 minutes). I am about 99% of the time supportive of all docs advice no matter how they contradict but I would think about adjusting that before/after down a little and see if it negatively impacted my satiety. If I stayed full for a good while, I'd adjust my "no drinking" time accordingly.

My dr. encourages us to drink right up until it's time to eat then wait an hour after eating.

A lot of people are using Miralax and my dr. said you can take it every day. It's tasteless.

OMG!! I am right there with you. Tonight as matter of fact. I am in so much pain. I have been on the toliet about 3 times and in so much pain. I have run a hot bath twice to lay in after getting up from the pushing. Right now I am in my recliner with a heating pad on my belly. I have taken 5 stool stofners. I have to get some releif. This is so not fun. I am going to go back to taking 2 stool softners every night. I have been in this situation before and swore I would never let it happen again, but her I am again....UGH!!!!!!!!!!

I posted nearly the same thing a couple of months ago, and we share a band-date :ohmy:

Everyone told me, which I have since implemented, that the time I'd been told to wait was ridiculous. I actually do feel better seeing you were told the same thing, silly as it sounds, because I was starting to feel like I'd imagined that wait time!

A lot of responses I got were that I should wait at least a half an hour before and after. My band isn't really restrictive just yet, so I can sometimes get away with less time, but I only do that when I'm extremely can't-wait-another-5-minutes kind of thirsty.

I don't take any fiber supplements, but I have noticed certain foods help me - like Beans (lentils specifically - but you can see the fiber content on any package/can), broccoli, apples and grapes. Also, yogurt (in general) seems to help. Just for flavor ideas, I sometimes get either regular plain yogurt or greek yogurt, and cut in some mango or add a scoop of Protein Powder for flavor.

Based on other answers before mine though, fiber you can add to Water definitely sounds like a good idea. The one thing my doc warned me about is that fiber fills you up, so maybe don't take it right before you're going to eat, or after a meal. Not sure about the liquid fiber though.

Miralax... Non-addictive, safe to use everyday, forever. A lot of people use regular laxatives, but those are unsafe for long-term use and may create dependency. Miralax does not create that dependency. I mix it in with my morning coffee (or hot drink if you're not allowed coffee) it has no taste or thickening properties... Highly recommend.

Many thanks to my fellow Bandsters! I appreciate the good advice about the amount of time between eating and drinking, as well as fiber recommendations. I'll stop by Walgreens on my way home.

By-the-way Ms. Sue Magoo...may I just say WOW!!!!! 146 pounds off and only 8 to go. I'd love to see your before and after photos. Congratulations on your hard work!

I am right there with you and my nutritionist with my surgeon's okay recommended Miralax so I will be out there tomorrow buying it too.

Miralax is a great thing. I hope they come out with a generic version of it. The only bad thing about it is that it's expensive.