Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Racing Heartbeat, anyone else?

I was banded Feb 6th and everything has been going as well as possible. Ive lost weight but as of yesterday I have the feeling of being light headed and a racing heart.

I went to the store last night to get some Miso Soup. I was feeling fine before hand but after I walked the 13 blocks back and forth and started to feel VERY light headed and my heart felt like it was beating out of my chest. I could lightly touch my chest and feel every heart beat.

When I am still and not doing anything everything is fine but when I start to do something I can feel my heart start to rev up.

I saw my doctor today and he said that being light headed might be because im not drinking enough. I was following the 48-64 oz a day but I am now going to increase that.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Did it last long?

I can understand my body being in shock going from eating whatever I wanted to being on a very restricted diet(Clear Liquids) so I would guess this would have something to do with it.

I was just looking for any other imput into this. Thanks.

I had the same thing happen to me this morning. I know they had told me to check my heart rate but I am not sure why. I will call tomorrow and see what they tell me. I feel sort of shaky at times. I am finally eating some soft foods now. I was banded on Feb. 27.

I had similar symptoms that started a few weeks post-op. I was also feeling really anxious. I think it may have been low blood sugar because it was happening after I would exercise. It may not have even been "low" blood sugar, but maybe "lower" blood sugar than my body was used to. I started to make sure and eat or have a Protein Shake after I exercise and I haven't had a problem since. If you don't feel better you should call your doctor back, don't let them give you the brush off!

He didnt give me the brush off. I just didnt tell him about it. I didnt think it was such a big problem, yet. I will shoot him an email and ask his opionion on it tomorrow. The fast heartbeat does start after exercising. I have stopped for the last 2 days and see what come of it.

To me, 13 blocks sounds like a lot just a week out! I remember taking a walk with my dad about a week out (that I could probably do in 10 minutes today) and it took me 35 minutes, and I was sweating and exhausted even from my shuffling footsteps. So maybe you're pushing yourself too hard too soon. Take it easy, you'll build up. (It's good you're taking a break!) My doc said I should be able to do 2 miles by my first fill (week 6) and I could, but my first few weeks were mostly spent pacing around my living room, and when I had the energy maybe a walk around the block.

I'd say that's the biggest reason for heart racing and being tired. You just had major surgery!

Also, I was on liquids for 3 weeks after surgery too, but not just Clear Liquids. Are you taking any Protein supplements? I had 3 Protein Shakes a day on top of my (not exactly) 64 oz of liquids. Just wondering if you're literally taking in only clear liquids.

The previous 3 days I had been exercising by walking 22 min, 35 min, and 25 min. I wasnt walking slow but not real fast either. Maybe I was pushing it a little much. I have slowed down and this morning I feel better.

I am sticking to the diet provided by my doctor. Min of 70 grams of Protein a day and Water, miso Soup, sugar free ice pops, sugar free Jello...etc. I have not strayed from it once. I have added more Protein and Water the last 2 days to see if that helps the weakness and dizziness.

I also think it could be the exercise of walking so far so soon after surgery. Your body is going through a lot right now.

However, anything dealing with the heart needs to be mentioned to the doctor. If you feel anything like it again, take a rest and see if it improves things. If you feel a little light headed, drink a little fruit juice. Just be careful, it could be nothing or it could be something significant if it remains unaddressed.

ARE YOU CRAZY! Im sorry but WHY didnt you tell your doctor about the racing heart? You might need meds for it. About a year ago I had a racing heart and they put me in the ICU. Heart acting funny is serious especially for big people like us. I am on medication for it(digoxin) probably for the rest of my life. Even if I lose all the weight. I hope you let your doctor know. And I hope its nothing . Tons of things can cause a racing heart. Low potassium,dehydration,panic attacks,the beginnings of heart failure and heart attack.