Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band isn't what I thought it would be

Mustang - look at my two posts under complications about band placement and reflux and hiatal hernia for an update on my condition - after my endoscopy on Monday. Needless to say, doc and I have a lot to talk about.

I am very grateful for this site. I just read this whole blog and relate to every bit of it. I was banded in Oct. 2007. Got all this the same responses from my surgeon and bariatric team...eat dime size bites, chew chew chew, shoulder pain unrelated, you're eating to fast, etc. Maybe this team should read this site. These symptoms are way to common in post-banders to say the symptoms are unrelated. To this day, I've never been able to eat much solid food. I've always had to live on a couple of bites of food...always with discomfort. I've never been able to eat sitting down. So going to dinner parties, vacations and restaurants are out of the question. I just went for my first unfill a few weeks ago. I notice mild difference. Still can't tolerate solids very well and still have to stand up. Only difference is I can eat about 2-3 extra bites than before. So I will have to probably get another unfill. Yes, the financial aspect annoys me because I am a self-pay. Paid for this surgery and fills and now have to pay again to undo what I've already paid for. BUT, I don't dwell to much because after all said and done, I am paying to try to be comfortable. This band is a love hate relationship. I've been able to lose weight but I am worried that I am not eating nutritious food. I eat whatever can get through. I can only tolerate very small amounts of meats and forget any potatoes, Pasta (except small amounts of rice) and bread. My carbs most come from yogurt and crackers. Ironically, I can eat some junk food without difficulty...but hate eating the stuff. Yet when I am hungry...I am eating what I can. I hate fish and my doctor always says "Can you eat fish?" Well, I didn't get this band to live off fish....but I will say I ate swordfish last night and liked it. I sat down but could only get about 3oz of it down without anything else. Went to a movie and was able to get popcorn down. so I was thrilled just to have those two things and nothing else that night. This isn't how I want to live yet I don't want to put weight on again. If anyone out there is having the same fear of unfilling because of putting on weight, I relate...BUT it won't stop me from doing what's necessary. I say that because I don't want to eat junk...I want to be able to eat small meals and be satisified...not rade the cabinet. I also have heartburn. I know I can't remain like this because I will have further gastric issues if not treated. Again, this site and especially this blog has encouraged me to perservere and get whatever unfills necessary.

I am very grateful for this site. I just read this whole blog and relate to every bit of it. I was banded in Oct. 2007. Got all this the same responses from my surgeon and bariatric team...eat dime size bites, chew chew chew, shoulder pain unrelated, you're eating to fast, etc. Maybe this team should read this site. These symptoms are way to common in post-banders to say the symptoms are unrelated. To this day, I've never been able to eat much solid food. I've always had to live on a couple of bites of food...always with discomfort. I've never been able to eat sitting down. So going to dinner parties, vacations and restaurants are out of the question. I just went for my first unfill a few weeks ago. I notice mild difference. Still can't tolerate solids very well and still have to stand up. Only difference is I can eat about 2-3 extra bites than before. So I will have to probably get another unfill. Yes, the financial aspect annoys me because I am a self-pay. Paid for this surgery and fills and now have to pay again to undo what I've already paid for. BUT, I don't dwell to much because after all said and done, I am paying to try to be comfortable. This band is a love hate relationship. I've been able to lose weight but I am worried that I am not eating nutritious food. I eat whatever can get through. I can only tolerate very small amounts of meats and forget any potatoes, Pasta (except small amounts of rice) and bread. My carbs most come from yogurt and crackers. Ironically, I can eat some junk food without difficulty...but hate eating the stuff. Yet when I am hungry...I am eating what I can. I hate fish and my doctor always says "Can you eat fish?" Well, I didn't get this band to live off fish....but I will say I ate swordfish last night and liked it. I sat down but could only get about 3oz of it down without anything else. Went to a movie and was able to get popcorn down. so I was thrilled just to have those two things and nothing else that night. This isn't how I want to live yet I don't want to put weight on again. If anyone out there is having the same fear of unfilling because of putting on weight, I relate...BUT it won't stop me from doing what's necessary. I say that because I don't want to eat junk...I want to be able to eat small meals and be satisified...not rade the cabinet. I also have heartburn. I know I can't remain like this because I will have further gastric issues if not treated. Again, this site and especially this blog has encouraged me to perservere and get whatever unfills necessary.

Yep, I relate to everything you are writing. Eating standing up, no social functions where food is an issue, all of it.

BUT! You don't need bread, Pasta, or crackers. Those are the wrong carbs. You need better quality carbs. It's not a bad thing that you can't have those particular foods, those are the foods that got us fat to begin with. We ate farrr too many carbs. WLS is a tool to help you change your eating habits.

If you can eat bad foods then you can eat good foods. If you can eat crackers you can eat dried veggies (dried zucchini, etc.), if you can eat ice cream type foods you can drink a Protein shake.

I really do get it that some foods are easier than others, I lived it for 18 months before I switched to a sleeve. But if you want to get the weight off and keep it off, you have to change your food choices.

You might be overfilled or you might not tolerate a band. I agree with you about another unfill, see what happens when you do that.

Good luck to you!

BLG - If I didn't see that you were from Florida, I would think my surgeon did your surgery. Here are my problems as I see them for me:

1) My surgeon only did 22 bandings before me and is inexperienced with complications or how to deal with them. He blames the patient for problems - like yours - do this, do that. How many adjustments to eating do we keep having to make?

2) He denies that left shoulder pain is related to band. I have found clinical evidence online that shows it is related.

3) The band is promoted as causing smaller amounts of food to satisfy and reduce hunger. It hasn't for me.

4) Since the banding I have developed a hiatal hernia, reflux and heartburn. My endoscopy showed this. Before the banding and being 70 pounds heavier - I didn't have these problems. Plus the gastro doctor said my band is "up higher than others he'd seen, small, tight, and the only place for food is to go up".

5) I have an appt. on March 24th and am going to ask for the second fill to be removed. I only have 3cc in a 10 CC band. But all these problems came after my second fill.

6) My surgeon wants me to lose 100% of my excess weight even though the band is promoted as only helping one to lose 50% of excess weight.

7) I have lost 70% (70 lbs) of my excess weight - 10 of those pounds from the band and 60 from pre & post-surgery diets (inluding all those liquid only).

8) My husband died of esophageal cancer after a lifetime of GERD, hiatal hernia then barrett's esophagus, then cancer - so I will NOT deal with all this reflux, hernia stuff and jeopardize my life. No way. I will find another way to lose weight.

You need to take care of yourself and take charge of your health. I read so many posts where people will put up with any complication because for the first time in their lives they are losing weight. The fear of gaining weight is powerful but living a normal, healthy life is more important. That's what the band is supposed to do - make up healthier by eating smaller amounts of healthy foods. It's not supposed to make us sick or miserable.

Cleo's Mom,

I too can relate to much of what you have experienced. I am on my 3rd unfill since my 9/07 surgery. I lost slowly for the first 3-4 months, then I started experiencing reflux. I also had pain when I ate. That is what stopped my from eating. I had chest pain and even probems with TMJ. Eating was often painful. I was unfilled for 1 month. After that, half the fill was put back. It was ok for a while, then the reflux started again, only worse. That time I was unfilled for 2 months. The next time I was only filled to 3cc in a 10 cc band. Again, it was ok for a while, then the reflux started. This time it wasn't as bad though. I tolerated it for a longer period, but finally last week, I had it taken out again. I'll have an upper GI study this week. The doc thinks either I need an even smaller fill or that I have a slip. I think I have a slip. I will find out later in week.

I would definitely recommend a partial or complete unfill and then further studies.

KD - I agree. I had an upper GI at the end of January (after only 1 fill) and it showed a small, sliding hiatal hernia. Then the endoscopy done last week after the second fill showed the bigger hiatal hernia and reflux and the band being up high either deliberately placed there by my surgeon or it slipped up. I am going to try to get in sooner than the 24th but he is only in on Tuesdays. I am either going to be partially or totally unfilled. And I see a second opinion in my future. Goog luck to you.

I had a complete unfill for over a month prior to my lap band removal and I still was having pain from the acid reflux and was still PB'ng on the same foods that I PB'd on prior to the unfill. I just wish the banding experience was consistent but it seems for some it's works great while for others like me and many here not so great.

I know by experience that when you want food you're not tolerating "healthy foods" you're going to get in you whatever works and why I ended up gaining during my little 14 months with the lap band and also gained more co-morbs. Good luck and health to you all I'm looking at RNY now! Nancy.:)