Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band isn't what I thought it would be

I don't know if this is the right forum to post but in the regular forum there are too many joyous bandsters who will put up with any problems because they are losing and love their band.

I got the band because it was advertised on TV as reducing hunger. That has always been my biggest problems to successful dieting. I am 58 and I know the difference between thirst, hunger and feeling satisfied. And since I got the band I have been hungry before I eat and after I eat. Only now, eating is uncomfortable and sometimes painful. I have had two fills (my banding was 9/08). So, I am forced to stop eating before I am satisfied. And NO, IT IS NOT HEAD HUNGER!!

I had lost weight on my own before this banding journey, then more weight on the 6 month diet, then more weight on the pre- and post-surgery liquids only. Total: 60 pounds. I was 186 two week out of surgery. I have probably only lost 5 pounds due to the band alone. I don't have as much weight to lose as others and at this point do not want to eat less than I am eating. (1000-1400 cal/day). I am having difficulty getting my veggies and fruits in as it is.

Since my banding and fills I have developed left shoulder pain (surgeon said it is not related to band - had upper GI - everything was okay). I have also developed reflux at night despite nexium and sleeping reclined. And then there is the pain/discomfort upon eating. Yes I chew and yes I eat slowly. I tend to eat softer foods because of this.

For me, it seems, the band was not a good fit because I didn't have as much to lose. I had already been eating healthy for 2 years before so the change in eating wasn't as drastic as for others. The weight is not coming off and I am still always hungry. Protein does not keep the hunger at bay. I find carbohydrates do but I don't eat a lot of them. Oh, and the main reason I wanted to lose weight was to improve my chronic back conditions. It hasn't

Anyway, at this point, I am having buyer's remorse. Anyone else feel this way?:biggrin:

Sorry that it's not working for you, and unfortunately it just isn't for everyone :biggrin:

I was afraid of RnY, and I decided I would do the band as a first resort (last resort against dieting) for surgeries.. if it didn't work, I was going to move on to something else.

Some people it never fits right (what you explained was me when I am too loose--and when I am too tight). For you to have both instances at once, it just sounds like the band isn't working for you the way it "should".

It would be nice if they had a way of testing how a band will work with someone before they get it, so these things don't happen.

With all your fantastic weight loss prior to banding and your age, I can understand why you'd lose a little slower right at the beginning. Honestly though, from all you're describing, it sounds to me like your band is too tight. You're not able to eat normally and you're having reflux at night. You're changing your diet to softer foods because you can't tolerate solid Protein, so you're short changing your band. I would chart your the meals you're eating, and especially what you can't eat, and talk to your doctor. Even a slight unfill could make a world of difference. I really hope you can get some relief and start losing.

Here's a very good list to go by, if you think you're band might be too tight.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>How do I know if the fill was too much ?

</TD><TD>permalink

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<HR style="COLOR: #c9ced4; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c9ced4" SIZE=1>Being too restricted can lead to gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD) which begins as “heartburn”. If left to continue, this can lead to esophageal erosion and even cancer. You will NOT lose weight faster if you are so restricted that you can only eat liquids and soft foods. Symptoms that persist for a week should be evaluated by an MD. Some of the most common symptoms include:

• Not being able to tolerate solid foods
  • The feeling of food “coming back up” and then you swallow it back down
  • The feeling of food “coming back up” that forces you to run for a bathroom to spit it out or vomit
  • A burning feeling in the lower throat/upper chest area
  • Not being able to lie flat a few hours after eating because food/fluid comes back up causing you to cough/choke
  • A persistent cough after eating
  • There are MANY others but the point is you got the band to have a better quality of life so you don’t want the band to be a cause of threatening your health. Call your MD for an unfill if you need to and get to an emergency room STAT if you can't swallow your own saliva.

Alex

- LBT Founder

I couldnt' agree more with Alex. Call your doctor about a slight unfill and get back to your band basic meals.

I kept waiting mine out and all I got for it was chronic heartburn and ZERO weight loss.

I agree, you need a slight unfill. You're too tight.

I can identify with some of what you mentioned. The band has not cut hunger for me, not one iota. What it does do is make that hunger more easily satisfied. I cannot understand how people are just not hungry for hours, with the band, I get hungry between meals for the first time ever because I eat less - I get full, finish my meal but am hungry 2 hours later for a snack. So.... I just eat something, something small will fill me back up. I eat more regularly than I did and I think that's better.

I also didnt have as much to lose but I lost well, probably because I exercised it off. I managed to lose on 1500 calories a day, I could make my band work with that level.

But half a cup of food, 3 x a day, no way, I cant do that and I dont believe its necessary to do that to lose weight if you're active enough.

I'm going out on a limb but I do not believe the only way to use a band is to be so tight that you just dont want to eat and to stick to teeny half cup servings. You can use it much looser and work with that if you're prepared to really put in on the exercise part of the deal. Its in you now anyway, why not give that a try?

Great advice. This is not supposed to strangle the hunger out of you. Trying to fit into a certain mold as far as how you break up your calories is not going to work. You must be flexible it seems everyday because this thing changes a lot.

I agree you're too tight. I know that sounds crazy when you're still hungry BUT I think you are. Also, If the carbs keep you full longer and you're getting your Protein in, what the heck. Just stay in your calorie count. That's the key and eat in a way where you're happy (i.e. more than 3x a day). I know this is NOT what the surgeons and all say but hey, reality is reality. It works for me.

First of all, thank you for all your thoughtful answers. I have been exercising for almost 8 years - first walking and now the treadmill. But all those symptoms of reflux - many of them apply to me. I will talk to my surgeon about a slight unfill because my beloved husband died of esophageal cancer 3 years ago despite it being caught very early. There just isn't any effective treatment so I know the dangers of esophageal problems and I don't want to go there.

I know my symptoms seem like I am too tight - but I think I only have 3cc's in a 10cc band. How could that be? The last upper GI showed a slight/mild hiatal hernia which I did not have prior to banding.

I, too, don't understand those who post that they get stuck a lot, slime and PB, feel uncomfortable when they eat (one woman just posted that she has had the band for 5 years and can barely tolerate Water and often has to eat standing up) and yet many of these same people LOVE their band. Why? Because for the first time in their life they are losing weight and like the way they look. And they are willing to put up with anything to get that way. Me? Not so much. I am a breast cancer victim and a widow and have to deal with a lot and the band was/is supposed to make my life better. It hasn't. Thanks again.

Boy you said it in a nutshell. Yes, I was banded 12/03/2007 and today I have only lost 47 lbs. I have the same problems as you, throwing up anything solid before 6 p.m. If I have anything for Breakfast, its liquid, lunch consists of salad and apples, or Soup which they said not to eat, and dinner, well it depends. Last night for example I ate Ahi tuna (rare) which I can always eat, not last night. Threw up 3x before anything would stay down. Like you I know the difference between hunger and (thinking your hungry). I'm 49 and have been on this roller coaster ride too long. I have been to the doctor to have my band checked under the x-ray. That 1000.00 was wasted. Then in December he told me I have been throwing up for too long, and he was removing the Fluid from my band for 2 months. The 1st of February I was back for my fill, only to find out I gained 6 lbs. during my "unfill time". Now, I'm filled again, and throwing up again. This is no way to live. We are cruising in April and my husband is worried I will throw up all my food on the ship. Yet, I hate to go back to the doctor cuz every fill costs 200.00. So, if you can help me, please suggest away. The pain in your shoulder, yep I have it too. It never went away. Another blessing new since my surgery is pain in your chest when food dosen't go down. Lovely isn't it. I question if I should have just done the GB. I will never know. Best of luck to you.

Debbie

CM, I hope you start to feel better if you get an unfill. You've been through so much, and I know the last thing you need is reflux and trouble eating.

One reason you may be getting hungry is that you're eating softer foods that slide through the band pretty quickly. The way the band is "supposed" to work, is that with the smaller upper pouch, the food you eat makes the nerves at the top of your stomach signal your brain that you're full. Once someone is too tight, they compensate by eating softer foods, and then the band isn't doing it's job. You were doing so great on your own, so that if nothing else, an unfill would let you get back to eating the way you were when you were losing weight. Hopefully, at that point, when you're able to tolerate solid foods, maybe the band will give you the boost you need. At least, you should feel better.

Please let us know how you're doing if/when you get an unfill.

Edited by kiz

Sounds like your doctor didn't do his job explaining the band to you. That is just not right. First the band should not be giving you pain when eating. You should feel full if you are following the rules. Also the pain in your shoulder is most likely gas. Most of us have had it post op. Yes, I love my band because I am losing but I would not love it if I was in pain. The band should NOT cause pain like you are explaining. I have gotten sick twice. The first time I ate too much and dry heaved for what seem like forever. The second time was when I know I ate too fast and didn't chew well. I was in some pain that time. If your doctor is not helping you find a new one. Good luck. When the band is working correctly and we follow all the rules it is hard not to love it!

Thanks, everyone. On Monday, I will call my surgeon's office and discuss a slight unfill. Until I got my second fill in January (my first fill was November) I hadn't lost any weight after the two weeks after surgery - that would have been early October 2008. So for almost four months - nothing. My surgeon was not happy and gave me the "come to Jesus" talk about the band only being a tool. I told him I will not be a number on the scale. He has unrealistic expectations. Without a fill and two weeks after surgery - he wanted me to lose 10-15 pounds in the next 3 weeks! He acts like weight loss or gain reflects on him. But I had a serious talk with him the last time and he knows where I am coming from and I won't be bullied into some expected number or pounds. With the second fill I lost about 4 pounds but that is because it is painful to eat. I will follow up with what his office says. Also, just got an x-ray of the shoulder yesterday. Will post those results - but my guess is it won't show anything and I'll just have another medical problem I have to "learn to live with".

hi cleo's mom. Believe me, I have had a lot of the problems you are experiencing. I have had my band "unfilled" for appx. 2 years and even to this day I will choke on some foods and have to spend up to 30 minutes in the restroom throwing up or trying to throw up to relieve the pain/choking in my throat! I followed all the rules of the band when I was in the program and spent my life in misery. I told the difficulties I was having to the nurses and the doctor himself and always it was "be sure you're doing this and that". Well, since then I have been told by a gastrologist that the band causes my espohgus to spasm and I've had another band doctor look at my xrays and he said the band is not for me and I should have it out. I was a self pay patient and I probably will have to pay for the removal, so I have yet to have it taken out. Oh, the left shoulder pain you are talking about, I have had the pain since day one of having this da&^ band and it has nothing to do with the "gases" of surgery, so that is just BS! I went to a shoulder doctor about that and xrays, etc. he found nothing wrong with my shoulder.Oh, yes, people loose weight with the band, but there needs to a validation for people that are going through misery with the band and we need our struggles addressed by our surgeons instead of trying to say we didn't follow the program!!!:confused:

Mustang, so sorry to hear about your struggles. I know you are self-pay, but if you save up enough for another surgery, I wonder if the sleeve would be a good option for you. I've been hearing some very possitive comments about it.

That pain in your left shoulder is referred pain from your espohgus. When it is irritated it radiates/referrs pain to your left shoulder.

Sounds like your doctor didn't do his job explaining the band to you. That is just not right. First the band should not be giving you pain when eating. You should feel full if you are following the rules. Also the pain in your shoulder is most likely gas. Most of us have had it post op. Yes, I love my band because I am losing but I would not love it if I was in pain. The band should NOT cause pain like you are explaining. I have gotten sick twice. The first time I ate too much and dry heaved for what seem like forever. The second time was when I know I ate too fast and didn't chew well. I was in some pain that time. If your doctor is not helping you find a new one. Good luck. When the band is working correctly and we follow all the rules it is hard not to love it!

The band does cause some people pain. For some folks their soft stop is left shoulder pain. Happens with every meal.

There really aren't any hard and fast rules other than chewing well. ;o) With banding their are guidelines, what works for one makes another miserable. When I was banded it took me an hour to eat 1/3 - 3/4 cup of tuna salad. If I followed the infamous 20 minute "rule" I would have starved to death.

I think the band "rules" are really just a starting point for people to figure out what works for them.