Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

almost 5 years out, and still having troubles

OK, I had surgery almost 5 years ago, never thought about checking out a web site such as this for help, but here I am, and glad I found this place. Live in a small town, Dr over an hour away, and just thought this was the way my life was going to be from now on. Participated in support group following surgery for about a year, but after that, I have been on my own and very frustrated. As are my family members...I have lost 107 pounds, but still have about 30 or 40 to go, fills were always tough for me, my stomach must fluctuate on an hourly basis, and I would go days after a fill without being able to even swallow Water, eventual, things would change and I could begin eating. I never have been able to eat regularly, (ie three times a day), nothing goes in in the AM, usually I do better mid day, and very little to nothing in the evenings, I am uncomfortable drinking even water, when my band is tight so needless to say, my health has got to be in jeopardy, or will be over time. Now, I do not eat anything, that doesn't make me uncomfortable for about an hour, then eventually, things will loosen up and I can get something in. For the first couple of years, the only way I could eat anything was to do so standing up, I make several trips to the restroom to "stretch" things out during a meal, just a short walk most times will help, but sometimes it's the slime time, once that takes places 2-3 times per meal, I can eat (during mid day). Nothing works other times. I know I need to get more in on a consistant basis, but hate to go through the discomfort associated with trying to do so. Even with all this, I am not loosing any weight. When I do eat, it is Protein related, so not much in veggies, do try to drink grape and cranberry juice. I know, I know, the Dr's want you to stay way because of high sugar...I need to go back to the Dr, but that is not an option right now. Anyone have any suggetions? In my mind, I have envisioned scar tissue or something blocking the opening, and after a few bouts with sliming, (which for me IS not pleasant, almost like vomitting, same feeling in the stomach just nothing but slime comes up)maybe something is shifting around to allow me to eat?? I don't know...

Edited by donnajo2325

Hi, I know the slimeing very well. Its not a fun thing. I know its a sign that I didn't chew my mouthful of food enough and its "stuck" but eventually goes through after walking around, jumping up and down in place, slimeing and tapping the base of my throat like you'd burp a baby. By then the rest of my meal is cold. To me, its just ridiculous that I go through all this just because I didn't chew enough. I think I'm still learning HOW to eat properly and many times I'm having a meal in front of the computer or tv and I get caught up and revert back to my old gulping-large-chunks-of-food-like-a-dog eating habit. Its SO hard! I'm trying to change a lifetime of bad habits. I'm 4 years out but never had a fill until the beginning of february. (Long story) I'm trying to get on track and benefit from having gone through the surgery. Despite any surgery being potentially life threatening, I think the REAL hard part is learning about food and eating, all over again, for the rest of my life. You're not alone.

I'm afraid you're too tight. I personally keep my band a little on the loose side to minimize this. However, there are times (sometimes morning, sometimes just the whole day) where it is more difficult to eat. I have gone to a good yogurt (lots of protein) for my Breakfast because that is usually a harder time of day for me. I guage what I eat on how my body reacts. Sometimes I just take it easy with soft foods if things seem riled up. I keep this to a minimum though because as we all know soft foods don't keep us full too long.

I've also found that if I drink something warm prior to eating that it seems to relax things. So, I've gotten in the habit of sipping on a cup of tea before meals.

Do get your fill level checked out though. If you have any questions, PM me. I have a website where there is a bariactric nurse who has her own band available to answer questions.

Vicki

Make an appt and go back to your doctor. You're too tight. Life with the band is supposed to be LIFE, not hell. Per the chart in my doc's office the goal is to be able to eat anything but in MUCH smaller amounts. Anytime you can't drink Water you put yourself at great risk.

I can completely relate! I was banded last May and I have the same troubles. I have a sensitive stomack and not only slime, but often throw up...not a good habit and one I prefer my kids not to see! I haven't found my solution yet, last month I could eat anything, even bread, so I went for another fill...now I am back to the same. I don't feel I am losing very much either.

donnajo - go back and read your post. Do you see how insane it sounds? Why are you putting up with this? This is not normal. You are not supposed to be in pain or have to eat standing up or be unable to drink Water. Whatever it takes, get back to your surgeon and discuss this with him/her. You need to get your life back to normal and do whatever it takes to do so. You've put up with this way too long. Good luck and let us know what happens.

5 years?!? I wouldn't be able to handle that for 5 months. I just got banded and am already thinking this was a mistake. I'm going to give it the time everyone says I need to adjust, but personally this is monstrous.

I'm feeling like you describe now since my second fill. I went for an unfill which helped, but I still feel too tight. It has only been a week tomorrow. If it does not loosen up in a few more days I will go back and have a bit more removed. I could not imagine going for a long period of time sliming and throwing up and not being able to keep down even Water. Just the little bit of experience I have had with it has been horrible. Go get it taken care of!!!

I think you are too tight without a doubt. Banding is not meant to be an exercise in misery and that is no way to live.

It is also common for people to stop losing when they are overly tight because they have to make adjustments in what they can eat so that things can at least go down.

I would suggest a tiny unfill, keep eating your Proteins but get in much more veggies. Cut back on the fruit juices or go towards lower calorie or sugar free versions. Up the Water and exercise if you can and it should help you to get back to losing.

Donna, I know you state that going to the doctor is not an option right now, but if there is anway you can scrape up the money to go then go. Your health is way to important and there could be issues going on that your doctor can assist you with.

An unfill comes to mind right off the bat. Aftercare is so important with the band.

Take care.

Seeing the doctor is not an option right now? Well, frankly, if that was going to be the case you should never have been banded.

The band relies HEAVILY on good aftercare. You sound too tight and a trip to the doctor to remove some fill may make all this go away. Then again, you may indeed be right, it may be more than restriction levels and you may have some other problem. How in the world are you going to solve it without seeing your doctor? That is just completely nuts, you HAVE to go.

These complications are just nowhere near as common here, where our medical system facilitiates compliance with aftercare. It costs nothign to go and see my doctor, and he's only a half hour drive a few suburbs away.