Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Coon in Riverside Ca

:thumbup:I have dr. Coon... I love him. Hes very friendly and my whole surgery process went smooth. Only complaint is sometimes the wait in the waiting room can be super long. Im not talking 15 min...more like 45-60 min. Its always worth it though. Let me know if you have any questions.

Just a quick followup..Dr Coon was great. All's well. Banded 3 days ago. I am glad i went with him for sure.

:thumbup:I have dr. Coon... I love him. Hes very friendly and my whole surgery process went smooth. Only complaint is sometimes the wait in the waiting room can be super long. Im not talking 15 min...more like 45-60 min. Its always worth it though. Let me know if you have any questions.

I just got approved for Dr. Coon But I m very nervous my cousin had the suregery in TX and is very unhappy very depressed. She complains of feeling like food is always stuck in her troat. Is that unusual?

Hi,

Congrats on getting approved.

Doctor Coon is great, his staff, his approach etc. I am very happy to have gone with him and got to know a couple others that went with him. Yet to hear anything negitive.

As far as Tx and your Cousin...you really need to read this entire forum. The good and the bad. Getting stuck can be your cousin not chewing enough or selecting the wrong foods etc. Also could be the fill is too tight and a number of reasons that this site has lots of information on. Also, things change over time. I got stuck with no fill in week three which meant I burpped up was I swallowed. Now I have a 7cc fill and it is not enough restriction.

If I pig out I want the band to make me gag..thats what I require. I need my hand slapped when i reach for the cookie jar. Others no doubt will disagree.

The band can be reversed and if the fill is too tight it can be reduced. Point is there are solutions. if you are obease..that's what you need to be afriad of in my opinon!

(For the forum lawyers out here..this is all merely my opinion).

I just got approved for Dr. Coon But I m very nervous my cousin had the suregery in TX and is very unhappy very depressed. She complains of feeling like food is always stuck in her troat. Is that unusual?

Hello Phattat, How ar you doing ? I see Dr. Coon June 15 I'm getting a little less nervous.. Have you attended his support groups ? Did you have to do the liqiud diet post Op? Thanks

Hi,

I am doing GREAT. Congrats on your appointment. Are you already approved? or is this your inital visit?

Less Nervous? Cool. The further in I got the less nervous I was as well. There were a few moments in between but overall its just a step at a time process leading up to then through the surgery.

Before the surgery there was a session I attended. I recommend taking really good notes. It's mostly a Q&A, filling out paperwork and instructions for post op, also meeting with a nutritionist.

I know Dr. Coon does have a support group. I have not attended nor do I plan too unless someone asks to me go to support them. At this point I get what i need from this forum.

Did I have to do the liquid diet postop? Of course. I want things to heal properly. It was really easy to follow because it is only 2 weeks and post surgery I wanted to do everything right so willpower was not an issue. My compusive eating desire didnt kick in until week 4 or 5..but then i got my first fill at week 6 so only struggled for a week.

The Soft food diet started at week 2 and most SOFT food tastes really good. Lots of Jello brand products (sugarfree) and Protein drinks and Water. Soooo much weight comes off in that first 4 weeks I got super modivated to succeed so it was pretty easy to fight. I had some restriction from the band i discovered and a couple times I gulped food and burped up what I ate. This is why I got the band..I wanted a

consequence for pigging out. It works well for that! Its great I love it.

I go in this week to readjust my fill. I want a little more restriction. I'm at 7cc's. I understand it can take several visits to get it dialed in.

The worst issue I have had is I puked my brains out 2 times and it was totally my fault both times. bread is a loser let me just leave it at that.

more q's? :)

Hello Phattat, How ar you doing ? I see Dr. Coon June 15 I'm getting a little less nervous.. Have you attended his support groups ? Did you have to do the liqiud diet post Op? Thanks

Thanks so much for your answers to my silly questions.. Yes this is just my initial visit..

Does the restriction hurt or is it uncomfortable ? I need to lose 80 lbs you seem well on your way good for you on your awesome work. Is bread the only food you have issues with ? I keep hearing tortillas and beef are a no no I can't imagine never eating tortillas again in life. Have you had the food stuck and how long can something stay stuck?

Does restriction hurt? My experieance has been mostly no. 95% of my day i am not eating so i feel nothing. When I eat..if I swallow a lump then yes it hurts. It feels like swallowing a lump of something litterally. It does NOT feel like swallowing something sharp nor is the pain really ongoing. Once it passes its over and a great sense of relief happens. Then it's easy to say "I'll finish eating later".

Another sensation is sometimes although I chew plenty..i still will swallow a lump..but soft, and as it goes down air wants to escape (like a burp) so it can't. That is uncomfortible because you are trying to burp but can't...although that isn't really a hurting sensation.

both of these suck but they are tolerable.

Getting "stuck" is a bummer and its only had to happen a few times to change my behavior (again the reason i got the band). The first time I kind of paniced and tried to wash it down with water...oops. That just fills your throat then you throw up. The nice part is I was "unstuck" after throwing up.

I have no problem with Tortillas. Beef I do have trouble with..except hamburger. I had an issue with chicken breast the other day but i forgot to chew. it didnt get stuck but I swallowed a lump. I don't have any problem with Rice or Pasta. However, Dr. Coon's diet recommends to eat Protein first and since Pasta can be fattening and low Protein its not recommended. So basically bread and Beef are the 2 problems so far. But i have to admit I am mostly sticking to a diet and have not ventured off too often...except tortillas which i have no problem with.

One more comment..my level of restriction is not enough currently. Hopefully that will be fixed this week. I had restriction for 4 weeks but when you lose weight the band gets loser as the fat around the outside of the stomach shrinks, also the band settles in. So currently with a 7cc fill I have less restriction than I did in my 4th week. It is posible that once I get the next fill that Torillas will become a problem. I'll let you know. :party:

Thanks so much for your answers to my silly questions.. Yes this is just my initial visit..

Does the restriction hurt or is it uncomfortable ? I need to lose 80 lbs you seem well on your way good for you on your awesome work. Is bread the only food you have issues with ? I keep hearing tortillas and beef are a no no I can't imagine never eating tortillas again in life. Have you had the food stuck and how long can something stay stuck?

Edited by phattat

Hi! Could you tell me where the support groups meet, date and times in Riverside, CA?