Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

help!!! someone shoot me!

:cursing:I was banded on feb 3rd and feel great. while i read it is common to be hungry after one week, i have been diligent to eating mushies, high Protein and getting about 80 oz Fluid per day. i asked my dietician, who is new to this job,how many calories should i be consuming. she said i should not be able to take 1000 calories for six months. i am close to that now, but i think you need a certain amount to stimulate your metabolism. i thought she was wrong, but what the hell do i know? i can eat with absolutely no feeling of any restriction and i am honestly making good choices. the scale is up two pounds since surgery!!! shoot me now!peg:cursing:

You will not have ANY restriction post-op. This is normal. Once healed, you will have a regular appetite. This time is referred to as Bandster Hell. you need to count calories and stay around 1200 per day until you get the right restriction and can make your band start working for you.

:cursing:I was banded on feb 3rd and feel great. while i read it is common to be hungry after one week, i have been diligent to eating mushies, high Protein and getting about 80 oz Fluid per day. i asked my dietician, who is new to this job,how many calories should i be consuming. she said i should not be able to take 1000 calories for six months. i am close to that now, but i think you need a certain amount to stimulate your metabolism. i thought she was wrong, but what the hell do i know? i can eat with absolutely no feeling of any restriction and i am honestly making good choices. the scale is up two pounds since surgery!!! shoot me now!peg:cursing:

I was banded January 13th, I have no restriction yet but will Feb 25 and I can;t wait. I get very hungry and eat about 1/4 cup - 1/2 cup of food per meal in between my meals I drink Protein shakes to curve my hunger and this also helps with hair loss. my Dr. tells me that i can eat things like, pureed skinless chicken or fish, mashed potatoes, peas, low fat yogurt or pudding. But every Dr is different and your better off listening to what you dr thinks is best for you.

You need to exercise in order for your metabolism to increase. but you also must burn more calories than what you are taking in. My weight loss goes back and forth right now as well. hope this helps a bit.

I'm glad to see i'm not the only one that has experienced bandster hell. Right now i'm finishing up the end of my mushies stage and I feel like I can eat like I did before surgery. Its very frustrating but i'm trying my hardest to stick to my portion size (ounces) per meal and drinking as much Water as I can. Good luck to you! God willing once we get our first fills, we will have just enough restriction. Good luck to you!

You're perfectly normal. I was on my third fill before I began feeling restriction... even more, lots of people gain during the "mushy" stage.

Just stick with the plan, and it will happen.

I am three months postop and just now after a fill two days ago (my fourth fill, bringing me to 6.9 cc in a 10 cc band) able to eat and be satisfied around 950 cal/day. My doctor told me to stay around 1200-1500 per day.

Do what you can but don't sweat it too much. Until you have good restriction you will find you are hungry.

What about if you are working out all the time? Then how many calories should I stick to? The NP that filled me said no more than 1000 calories but I am working out 5 days a week and most days 1000 is not enough. I am eating closer to 1300-1500 on days that I work out. Is that too much? I am burning about 2500-3000 calories a week in exercise. Please help. i too am stressing over how much is too much when it comes to calories. :frown:

Once you have proper restriction, you won't need to obsess over calories. If you are consistently hungry, and feel a lack of energy, you need to up your calories. I'd up yourself to 1200 at least if you are consistently working out.

You must be very frustrated, I feel for you. Listen, you do not need a wealth of calories to boost your metabilism. I do not agree with your dietition because what she said does not make sense to me. You can easily take in more than 1000 calories daily before three months. shakes alone can help pack on the pounds if they are coupled with a little food daily.

Listen my friend, you may need to start exercising, and if you are exercise you must do more. This can help to boost your metabolism and get that scale moving in the right direction. Once you do, then you can see if you start to lose. If you don't it means you are eating too much or so little that your body thinks you are starving it and is hanging on to every pound. I am an RN and not a Registered Dietition. I strongly suggest that you speak to someone new to she if maybe your dietition missed something. I am not saying he or she does not know what they are doing, I think sometimes situations warrant getting advice from more than one professional. Also, write down what you are eating every day for at least three days to ensure your daily caloric intake is accurate. Bring your lists with you to your dietitian, he or she will appretiate it.

Best of luck, hang in there, a resolution is surely around the corner!

Edited by Luvmykids37
Accidentally put my name, not ready for that yet

thank you for your reply. i have had a second fill since my original post and i have pretty good restriction. i still write down my calories, Protein and Fluid amounts in a daily journal. i am going to the gym about four times a week, cutting grass and walking on the off days. i am down 43.5 pounds at the three month mark, so I am doing fine,i hope.i even went to the beach with my best friend for my 50th and while gone nine glorious days, i even lost weight!! that is a first!:thumbup:keep in touch,peggy

Hi Peggy,

Thanks for the update and how awesome to hear about your 43.5 pounds!!! I am almost 1 month out and have lost 16 lbs and have stayed here for several days. it is refreshing to hear that I may start losing again soon. thanks for your upbeat attitude!

Chris