Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Experiences, Opinions, and Theories

Hi. I was banded on September 19, 2008. I am curious. I had my third fill on Dec. 18th, which has given me REAL restriction. I'm learning how to deal with it all.

I was wanting to know what you think, or have experienced, in regards to band tightness. Why is it that my band is REALLY tight some days and looser other days? It is usually tight in the mornings, and I know this is kinda common - but why?

I can eat something one day and have no problems. The next day I try the same exact food, and I have all kinds of problems. Of course I know that if I don't follow all of the eating rules, that can cause issues. And I also know that some foods just don't agree with some people. But.... what causes the day to day fluctuations with the band's tightness? Stress??.... hormones?? (I don't have periods, but I do still have ovaries), the moon??, the tide??, the rotation of the earth?? Any opinions, theories, or facts that anyone can share with me will be greatly appreciated. Becky:unsure:

Well I certainly can't provide any solid medical advice, but I too experience the same thing - and I think most all of us have or will at some point in the journey.

The logic I apply is that your pouch is tissue. Tissues seem to be their most firm after a restful period of sleep. That would make your pouch firmer in the morning than in the evening.

You've already hit on most of the other variables that effect perceived restriction. Of them I think stress and anxiety are some of the worst offenders.

As long as your able to ingest sufficient nutrition I wouldn't be too concerned about it. My calorie intake varies anywhere between 1,000 to 3,000. I prefer to cycle my calories anyway so if it's a really tight day I just use it as one of my light calorie days.

Good luck!

Brad

Becky,

My saying is "The Band is a fickle, fickle thing." Embrace its fickleness cause you will be dealing with this for the REST OF YOUR LIFE. What makes it fickle? Stress, hormones, dehydration, Water retention, stomach inflammation, weather, altitude changes, humidity changes, and... it has a mind of its own. Honestly. Some days my band is weird just because IT CAN BE. LOL. That is a veteran's insight. I wish I had a magic answer for you, but that is as good as it gets!