Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

weight gain after 1st fill

I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem....I went for my first fill on Thursday, 2/5, and I weighed in at the doctors at 274, but today I got on the scale and I weigh 280. I don't know what happen, I hardly consumed anything the last couple of days cause I don't feel hungry at all, I have all I can do right now to drink my shakes. :thumbdown::confused: I don't know what is wrong.

Hello Lyndi,

Please don't get discouraged by this it could be many factors, Water retention, eating or drinking before going to the doctors, salt retention if you are eating. Also not exercising could also make you just remain the same if you are taken in more than you are burning. Continue eating what the nutrition tells you too and you will do well. For my first six months I was not eating correctly and not exercising and stayed the same or didn't lose much. It took four fills for me to feel full restriction and not feeling hunger or 10 months each person is different and each person have to figure out what works and what doesn't work for them. Write down for a week what you are eating and drinking and your exercise and after a week of you don't see a difference please contact your nutritionist to see what's going on. Don't be discouraged! This is just the begining of the new you!

In addition to sisterc's post, do you know if your doctor's scales and your home scales give the same weight?

thank you both for the encouragement.. and I am not sure if the scales read the same.. they probably don't... I will try to walk everyday this week and see what happens. I guess the biggest thing is that I am at the 20lbs lost mark, and this is were I usally fall back into my old eating habits, and I am just scared that I am going to do it again. I really want this so bad.. it just sometimes seem like I will never get there. I know that a slow and steady weight loss is the best.

I know it's easy to give up when the scale kicks you in the gut, but this time will be different. You have the band, and you will eventually get good restriction. Some people seem to get it right off the bat, and others struggle, but don't get discouraged after this setback. Sisterc did such a great job describing all the reasons the scale can be fickle, and there's a very good chance yours are off a bit. Just keep doing what you're doing, and you'll get there.

I've had two major times the scale was against me, one was a particular bitter pill to swallow. My husband and I had walked six miles + (I had stuck to three 1/2 cup meals plus a healthy snack for days) and the next day I was up two pounds and he was down one (mind you, if he's overweight, it's no more than five lbs). I honestly started crying. My husband put his arm around me, and told me that it was impossible for me to have gained two lbs of fat in one day, and that the scale would soon catch up. It did, but you know, sometimes it just hurts to work so hard for something and to not see immediate results. The same thing happened this weekend, but my husband was up two lbs too, so that one wasn't so hard to take (lol). It's been two days, and those pounds are gone again.

Hi Lyndi, The only thing I can tell you is that you have to have lots of patience before the band is at its right restriction. You may have to have 3-4 other fills before this happens. For me I was banded in August 2008 and lost 20Ibs on my pre op diet. I had my first fill in Oct 2008 and did not lose any more weight until my fourth fill in Jan 2009. (3 months later!!) The weight is now coming off at a very slow pace of around 1/2Ib -1Ib per week now. I did get a bit annoyed that it took a good few months before the weight started to come off but looking back now all I need was patience. I'm due to go back for another fill at the end of this month and I think this fill will be the one which will get me back on track. Remember everyone is different so if its taking longer for you then thats OK. I know it can be hard to believe especially using this website cause there are some people who are losing it quite quickly. Just keep motivated and patient. It will happen for you!

Unfortunately,

My doctor's scale is 2 pounds heavier than my home scale. When I went in for a fill I thought I took off 8 pounds and it said only six pounds. So I know in March when I go back I have to take off 16 pounds too meet my small goal for myself. Also please look at your clothes and see your dress size or pants size and see if they are bigger now that's another great feeling to see your clothing size change. The pounds will come also as you can see I have only lose 38 pounds and counting, but it's a day by day or week by week progress. But we are going to hang in there till the end!

Hi lyndi i went for my first fill on monday i have gained 3lbs back from the 19lbs that i lost during two weeks post-op. cause i was eating mash potatoes.during the mushy stage. the nurse says no carbs.so you are not alone.