Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Jacksonville FL folks?!

Hi everyone!! I've been lurking this site for a few weeks now and I decided to finally post. I am going to Dr. Baptista and Cywes for my surgery and I am at the point where I need to send off everything to the insurance company...I'm just waiting for my letter of medical necessity from my PCP. Has anyone been to this doctor? Lately..I seem to be having issue after issue with them. I feel a little discouraged but hopefully tomorrow will be a better day. :lol:

Hi there! I am in Jax as well. I just joined this group today after reading all the posts for the last few months. I am scheduled to be banded on Feb 20th by Dr. Herrera at St. Vincent's, he was recommended by my Endocrinologist. I had my endo send my letter of medical necessity, I requested one from my PCP as well though I am not sure if it was ever sent. I first saw Herrera in Oct at the required seminar and was approved by BCBS of SC in late Jan. I was told to follow-up with my docs for the letter 30 days after the initial request to them. Don't get discouraged, I thought for sure I would not be approved due to not having any co-morbidities. I know at St. Vincent's you are required to pay a $500 administrative fee and they do the hounding for documentation and paperwork submittals for you. It is a very quick process once you get approval. I started the pre-op diet Friday (no fun!) and it seems like just yesterday I began the whole process.

I'd love to hear how your experience went. I'm going to Dr. Webb's seminar on Tuesday.

I LOVE Dr Webb!!! Plus you have Novus Centers to help you with all the paperwork. I was banded on Feb 5th and I didn't have to do anything except go and see the doctors to get the medical clearance. Novus really helps a lot with all the paperork and Dr Webb is great. Good Luck :thumbup:

Julie

Hey there, just wanted to drop in and welcome you to LBT!

I was banded by Dr. Herrera in 2006. In terms of Dr. Herrera, he is amazing. I recently had a bit of a run-in with his office staff that left a very bad taste in my mouth.

I met Dr. Baptista for the first time today. I was referred to him for some separate issues I am having, non band-related. Actually, I was quite impressed with him and his staff. I have been having a great deal of medical issues for the past few weeks, and he spent close to an hour with me today trying to find the cause and really listening to me.

I have not met Dr. Cywes, but have heard very good things about him. I hear he can be a bit rough around the edges, but is an excellent doctor.

Hi, welcome! I have only been a member since 12/09 and learning the ropes of this website.

My doctor is Dr. Chappano at N. Fla. Surgeons-SVMC. Dr. Chappano is excellent and his office staff is too! I was banded on 2/13/09 and have had a good experience so far. Just like everyone else says - I wish I would have done this sooner. I feel so much better now and have lost about 40 pounds since 12/09.

Again, welcome to LBT and look forward to hearing from you. Laura

So far I've had a good experience with Dr Cywes. He did my surgery at Jax Beach Surgery Center because I'm self-pay. He also operates at Memorial. He is very tough love but he will answer any question you have!

I'm in Jax, just went and met with the staff at the Jax Weight Loss Center yesterday and I have my first appointment with Dr. Baptista tomorrow afternoon! I am really hoping everything goes as planned!! I have to do the 6 month supervised dieting, and that's really the only thing I am stressed out about.