Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Iowa Ham Balls

When I first moved to Iowa 4 years ago, I ate these for the first time. They are very delicious and very, very soft. If you throw one in the food processor with some sauce and pulse it, it is mushy enough for mushies and tastes so good! I've adjusted the original recipe to remove some of the extra fat grams.

1-1/2 lbs. ground ham

1 lb. lean ground beef

1 Egg, 1 egg white

1/2 can fat free evaporated milk

1 package lower fat graham crackers (not the whole box, just one package in the box, about 12 double graham crackers or so), crushed

Crush graham crackers in zip lock bag with rolling pin until fine crumbs. Mix everything together and form into large balls, about the size of a ping pong ball. If you keep your hands moist while rolling, they roll much easier. Spray a large 13x9 baking pan with Pam and lay balls in pan.

Sauce

2 cans lower fat Tomato Soup

2 tsp. dry mustard

1-3/4 C brown sugar (or use equalivant of Spenda brown sugar blend)

3/4 C. apple cider vinegar.

Mix all sauce ingredients together and pour over ham balls. Cover pan with foil and bake at 350 for 1 hour, remove cover and bake 1 hour more.

Makes about 2 doz. large ham balls. Leftovers freeze well. Kids also love these! My 2 year old granddaughter is in love with them!

Enjoy!:lol:

LOL....only in Iowa is that probably considered low fat....but I love them.

You know you can get the frozen already cooked meatballs at sams and then cook them in any sauce....5 of them equals 250 calories.

Yeah, but I'm an old fashioned girl and like my own meatballs.

Yes, I'm aware they aren't "low fat," but they are a good, soft Protein source.

Hiya Linda!-

I lived on these in my mushies stage for breakfast!!!

They were a great source of Protein and easy to make mushy. Of course they aren't as low fat as fish, but the band is about making a lifestyle change that will work for life, and that means eating in moderation.

Good seeing you the other night!!

Glad you liked them which reminds me, I still have some in the freezer -- better eat them up soon. It was so good to finally meet you -- just wish the meetings were better - maybe give it another shot next month? It would be great if they would organize the topics and let us know what they will be discussing and if they would ENCOURAGE older bandsters to attend - I'll mention this to Chris this week and see what she says. I loved Pam, though -- she's great too. We'll make it through this - the three of us -- we'll be skinny minis in no time! Linda

Hiya Linda!-

I lived on these in my mushies stage for breakfast!!!

They were a great source of Protein and easy to make mushy. Of course they aren't as low fat as fish, but the band is about making a lifestyle change that will work for life, and that means eating in moderation.

Good seeing you the other night!!