Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's been 3 years with lapband

Hi Everyone,

I had my surgery 3 years ago, I had about 110 pounds that I wanted to lose, I went down 55 pounds in about 6 months and the last time I went to her (my surgeon) I gained a pound and she yelled at me.:thumbdown:...(i'm probably old enough to be her mother!!:rolleyes: anyway after that, I didn't go back. so I am really mad at myself, I stalled right there and then slowly started to put weight back on, now with i've gained 20 pounds. So now it's back to the old feelings how stupid i am, I can't believe I'm doing this again (the old I'll start eating right on Monday!!! Remember that one, and the other one is no more sweets after that cake is gone....It is totally my fault, i'm a sweet eater, I have never been sick after eating sweets, and i'm always sick after eating any meat at all, so instead of a soft or crunchy diet I eat sweets...that was always my problem and it still is. I went to my regular doctor, (she shoots right off the hip, if you know what I mean) so she looks at the weight gain and says "so I guess the lapband didn't work for you, now what are you going to try" I told her that i'm so sick of my weight gain and loss, that I just don't want to talk about it anymore.

And I gained the last 10 pounds since Thanksgiving, and I can only say that this is all my fault, all the old insecurities and hating myself for being so weak are here with me in full force.

Something kind of good happened, a friend of mine recently had lapband surgery and when I talk to her, she is so excited and so thrilled, she has me thinking about changing....notice I said thinking:confused: What is up with me!!!

I'm hoping some of her excitement will rub off on me:unsure:

So please don't think i'm whinning oh poor me, I know this is totally my fault and I just wanted to write it down in case someone is in the same boat and needed to know that they are not alone.

nanadi1118:frown:

Hi Everyone,

It is totally my fault, i'm a sweet eater, I have never been sick after eating sweets, and i'm always sick after eating any meat at all, so instead of a soft or crunchy diet I eat sweets...that was always my problem and it still is.

First off, shame on your doctor for yelling and shaming you. THAT is not her job. She should have asked you what you were eating and if you would've told her what you put here, she probably would've realized that you sound a little tight. If you are eating Proteins like chicken, fish and ground beef and chewing it well, it shouldn't make you sick. If you are chewing well and you are sick, then you are probably too tight. Go back to the doctor, or a different one, if possible, and get a small unfill. This should allow you to begin to eat properly again. Restriction should help you feel satisfied on less food and stay full longer, not make you sick.

I'd like to point out that posting here, you actually have ALREADY made your first step. You didn't have to come to this board and read posts, much less post your own. So first of all, kudos to you for making it this far!

I know (I'm sure we all do) what a viscious cycle the feeling bad/eating bad thing is. I'd love to say it will disappear but we all know it never will. We just have to deal with it the best we can; knowing it's always two steps forward, one step back.

Sounds like you made your two steps forward, and your one step back. Now it's time to get back onto the two steps forward cycle once more. Probably the first thing you should do is find a surgeon you like/can trust who can advise you re: fills (eg, are you at the proper level now?). Also, through the surgeon's office you can probably find support groups. I am sure that you will find lots of people exactly with your issues!

The good thing about the band (in my opinion, although I've only had it for six months) is that it's adjustable. I don't think you can ever say the band "didn't work". The other thing that is "adjustable" is our attitude. Sounds like you're in the process of adjusting yours!

Good luck to you and don't give up! :)

You can do this..............just get back to your doctor (or another one of your choosing) and talk to the dietician and other professionals who can help you get back on track.

It was not very professional of your doc to yell at you, but you can't let it get to you. This is YOUR life and YOUR journey. YOU are in charge. And YOU can start over fresh. Good luck my friend. Keep us posted.

Hi

Thanks to everyone who wrote back....I am thinking good things, maybe weightwatchers, I need the realization that I have to be accountable and someone is going to see how I did for the week....the old good girl bad girl syndrome....:) anyway I know it will be better if someone is watching...and I have been thinking a lot about signing up with our local Hotel where I can go and use their pool and exercise room......there is always the hot tub to get into after the exercise that is the best!!:lol: Thank you, thank you I am going to call tomorrow and get that set up!:thumbup:

Diane

You can do this! We know you can, because you went through all the hard work of getting banded. Posting here is a great first step. Another step would be to get a slight fill and get into a support group.

Never give up...Don't look back...Start tomorrow anew..And move forward!